Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Answers to 2007 Higher Chemistry - HSN forum

Answers to 2007 Higher Chemistry

32 replies to this topic

#1 ginneswatson

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

For those of you who really need to know, here are my answers to the 2007 paper. They have been added to an actual question paper to make it easier for you to remember what you put down. Obviously, it is not a complete mark scheme. There will be alternatives to some of the answers.

You can download the pdf file from here http://homepage.mac.com/ginneswatsonkelso/

Usual caveat. I went through this really quickly - there may be mistakes. (I hope not).

Generally I agree with most of your comments. The MC was pretty straightforward with a lot of previous questions used again to reward those who prepared well.

A few more calculations than normal was my impression but, again, reasonably straightforward.

Only one or two questions that left me scratching my head for a while, hard to imagine a 'fairer' exam. Expect pass marks to be at least similar to last year.

Cheers

wink.gif

Correction number 1. The correct answer to Q36 is B

#2 Glitterandtrauma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

they wont load for me ... any tips? thanks huh.gif

#3 graeme4king

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

Answers very similar hopefully close to an A

#4 sirjambob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

My answers were very similar to yours. A few different here and there but that's probably just my lack of preparation.

#5 Cooldude

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

i can't get it to download. i just click the download arrow thing and nothing happens sad.gif any suggestions?

#6 graeme4king

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

rite clik then save as

#7 sirjambob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

It's a pretty big file, took around 5 minutes for it to open on my computer. If it doesn't open, try right clicking on the download icon and selecting "save target as".

#8 Yaz

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

I sure hope all your answers r right wink.gif

My answers are very similar:

In multiple choice I have 5 different answers from you and even if they are all wrong for me i would have 87.5% in the MC part of the paper.
Also, the rest of my paper was almost identical to yours when i compared so feeling more sure about a good grade now cool.gif

ps. thnx very much for allowing us to see ur answers - i can see that u r a very smart dude thumbsup.gif

#9 ginneswatson

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(Yaz @ May 29 2007, 10:20 PM) View Post

In multiple choice I have 5 different answers from you and even if they are all wrong for me i would have 87.5% in the MC part of the paper.
Also, the rest of my paper was almost identical to yours when i compared so feeling more sure about a good grade now cool.gif

ps. thnx very much for allowing us to see ur answers - i can see that u r a very smart dude thumbsup.gif

In my arrogance, I assume that, by now, most of you know that I am a teacher. I'm not a 'very smart dude', I just have the big advantage that I've been doing this for years.

wink.gif

#10 Hassan

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for posting! If I'm right I got 89% overall which I'm chuffed about biggrin.gif

I thought I got the molar volume question right but after looking at yours, obviously I never. Oh well, hopefully its not in the AH course (I bet it is =\ ).

#11 Kiltox

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

Think I've lost more marks in the multiple choice than in the rest but nothing too major so should hopefully do well biggrin.gif Thanks for that, though I'm not gonna look into it in too much detail, will no doubt cause paranoia.

I think you've made a mistake on one of the MC questions though, the one that asks you to compare sodium hydroxide to ammonia.

Surely NaOH has a higher pH as well as a higher conductivity since it's a strong base and the other is weak? smile.gif

#12 LegendaryDB

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:The Usual - Having a good time with friends, playing sport, Can't WAIT until uni- Law at Dundee :)

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:54 PM

thank you so much ! i wish u were my teacher haha i added up my marks and i think i got aB !!!!!!!!!that is my complete dream to get a B i might have more marks tho cause i cant remember some of the asnwers i put on multiple choice!! i'm so glad i put so much effort into my studying good luck to you all and i hope you all get the results you are hoping for!!

#13 ginneswatson

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE(Kiltox @ May 30 2007, 12:37 AM) View Post
Think I've lost more marks in the multiple choice than in the rest but nothing too major so should hopefully do well biggrin.gif Thanks for that, though I'm not gonna look into it in too much detail, will no doubt cause paranoia.

I think you've made a mistake on one of the MC questions though, the one that asks you to compare sodium hydroxide to ammonia.

Surely NaOH has a higher pH as well as a higher conductivity since it's a strong base and the other is weak? smile.gif

ohmy.gif Your absolutely right. The correct answer to Q36 is B. Sorry about that. rolleyes.gif

#14 BuckminsterFullerene

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE(Kiltox @ May 30 2007, 12:37 AM) View Post

Yes surely, I'm sure it was higher PH and higher Conductivity, anyhow 90% minimum. laugh.gif
Chemical Engineering - Edinburgh

Conditional

#15 sunnyho

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

tbh, I think this paper is a very straightforward paper.
I think the past mark for A could be over 80%...

#16 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

over 80% ? na i don't it will have changed much from last years to be honest, over 80% would be a bit harsh, i mean, most people with 80% would definately deserve an A, 8 out of every 10 questions right, and only getting a B? slightly harsh wouldn't you say? I'd say it'll be about 78% again. Though funnily enough, a lot of people at my school found it hard :S i thought it was straightforward too though, nothing too weird in it thumbsup.gif

#17 Yaz

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(ginneswatson @ May 29 2007, 10:34 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Yaz @ May 29 2007, 10:20 PM) View Post

In my arrogance, I assume that, by now, most of you know that I am a teacher. I'm not a 'very smart dude', I just have the big advantage that I've been doing this for years.

wink.gif

lol sorry about the mistake - im new to posting on the forums wink.gif

#18 Kirst :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

think i might have scraped an A by the skin of my teeth, i made a couple of stupid mistakes but none too serious hopefully *fingers crossed*

#19 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

that was not good reading - but thanks for the answers!

#20 Kiltox

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(ginneswatson @ May 30 2007, 06:24 AM) View Post
ohmy.gif Your absolutely right. The correct answer to Q36 is B. Sorry about that. rolleyes.gif

Well I have one mark then at least wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users