Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Where can I say rockfall and mudflow is common? - HSN forum

Where can I say rockfall and mudflow is common?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

By adding some place names in it helps you pick up some extra marks and is quite an easy way.

So, in my definition of Rockfall and Mudlow when describing mass movements - does anyone have some place names I could throw in?

So I can just add in something like "This process of rockfall commonly occurs in ________" etc.

Cheers for all help! tongue.gif

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:41 PM

Rockfalls are common occurrences on steep scree slopes, which can be found around the world. However, they are most common in areas where the temperature often fluctuates above and below freezing as the freeze-thaw process widens cracks and loosens rock fragments. For the exam, you can suggest the mountains of the Cairngorms or the Lake District as areas where rockfalls are relatively common. If you want a very specific example, there has apparently been a big rockfall on a buttress at Yew Crag in the Lake District. Climbing has been banned in Castle Head Quarry (also in the Lake District) due to danger of rockfall.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

Amazing help, thank you.

#4 BroxiShona

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

Was just wondering what kind of questions can be asked about mudflows and rockfalls, landslides?

Thanks and congratulations smile.gif

Shona x laugh.gif

#5 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

Questions won't be complicated. For instance: "Explain the processes of two mass movements that you have studied." And they will likely suggest that you incorporate an illustration into your answer.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#6 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

Ooooh I didn't know there was diagrams you could draw.... lol

#7 BroxiShona

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

Thanks x

#8 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

For instance, you could draw a crack in the rock being filled with water then freezing, expanding and causing rock fragments to break off. You could draw the different angles of slope associated with the different types of mass movement. In a diagram showing soil creep you could indicate the damage to fences, pylons and roads.

#9 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

Bred, you're amazing.

Now why have I never even heard of a rockflow before? That's the second thing today. And what else haven't I heard of that will probably come up in the exam tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users