Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Scientology - HSN forum - Page 2

Scientology

46 replies to this topic

#21 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

Bet you all the money goes into Tom Cruise's back pocket.

I don't like Tom Cruise, he has been a bad influence on Katie.

This is why I have a FREE KATIE t-shirt.

#22 Alz

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

Pfft.

If this is what Daron believes, then go him. Slagging him isn't very nice.

I find it akin to starting a thread called 'LOL ISLAM'

#23 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

Oh my bigotry can be applied to all religions, not just scientology.

I'm fair like that.
@

#24 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the offer of joining, but I refuse to drink the Kool Aid.

There's a certain irony to someone called "paddyb67" calling other people sectarian! laugh.gif I'm also the sort of "I rip all religions" type guy. My religion is football, apparently I can't join the computing religion because I was too good at sport. sad.gif

Scientologists have argued that the published accounts of the Xenu story and other teachings are distortions of their practice, presented out of context for the purpose of ridiculing their religion.

You don't say!? Honestly, when you teach stuff like "Xenu and Body Thetans" you really are hinting at a mass suicide in the middle of a field.

I have to agree with the sentiments about Tom Cruise - The money probably just fuels his need for placenta eating. ph34r.gif

#25 Michael V

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ May 22 2007, 08:45 PM) View Post
Daron Malakian asked me to post this coz he's having trouble with his account(personaly im gonna give it a go):

Hey just wanted to start a thread of my own on this forum about something which I feel strongly about.

There was recently a Panorama programme on BBC about Scientology. Like all Scientology coverage in the media they focused on criticising the religion. I just wanted to say that, as a Scientologist, I feel this is tantamount to sectarianism. I am one of The Church of Scientology's first members in Glasgow and the techniques for meditation which they taught me transformed me from a 5 F student to a 5 Band 1 A's candidate. I think everyone on this forum would benefit immensely from exposure to Scientology, with an open mind untainted by the media's bias.

<<*edited by bred*>>

Happy to answer any questions btw.

Since I want to be a journalist when I'm older I watched this Panorama programme with great interest and to be honest, the way in which Scientology acted was shocking. They say their "fair game" policy of attacking journalists that criticise the church are over, but still, they followed John Sweeney, placed a spy inside the hotel and continually harrased the BBC.

They have since setup a website attacking Panorama and showing clips that they filmed during production. I don't want to go into the history of Scientology since it isn't correct for this site, but if you search on the internet and on YouTube you may find some shocking videos of what goes on inside the church.

To me, scientology is a cult. It is one that can break up families and take - I use the word take lightly - hundreds of pounds from people.

Churches don't go around forums and websites recruiting people do they? I don't see any other "religions" doing that. One last point: how many other churches does anyone know that has a sign saying "By Invitation Only", hanging by the door?

#26 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hahaha. We are not loving the old scientology at all!
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#27 Alz

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(Lesley @ May 23 2007, 10:04 PM) View Post
Hahaha. We are not loving the old scientology at all!

Indeed.

Thank the man I'm Jewish.

#28 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(Michael V @ May 23 2007, 10:00 PM) View Post
Since I want to be a journalist when I'm older I watched this Panorama programme with great interest

Oh, you don't need to do that. Blagging it's the way to become a journalist. Trust me. Go onto BBC news occassionally, watch the old Louis Theroux (?!) documentary, maybe read something by Hunter S Thompson and you're jamming.

#29 Michael V

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ May 23 2007, 10:15 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Michael V @ May 23 2007, 10:00 PM) View Post
Since I want to be a journalist when I'm older I watched this Panorama programme with great interest

Oh, you don't need to do that. Blagging it's the way to become a journalist. Trust me. Go onto BBC news occassionally, watch the old Louis Theroux (?!) documentary, maybe read something by Hunter S Thompson and you're jamming.

I'm looking at a very nice Journalism course at Stirling Uni wink.gif

#30 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

Louis Theroux is great, ain't he? Not sure if he's religious or not?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#31 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, his documentaries are great. The Weird Weekends ones were hilarious. The neo-Nazis were... Well, they were different. You ever seen any of Nick Broomfield's stuff? I think that's his name. They're pretty interesting, too.

Apparently the key to being a good journalist is to watch lots of films about journalists. We spent about three weeks last semester watching things like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Goodnight and Good Luck... I don't see what difference it's going to make to my ability to write, but hey ho, saved me doing any work.

I mean, films about journalists aren't made up AT ALL so it totally make you understand how journalists REALLY work.

God bless Strathclyde University.

#32 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

I don't think I have. I was going to watch that one about Morcambe Bay but I forgot it was on (d'oh).
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#33 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 23 2007, 10:51 PM) View Post

Yeah he's brilliant! He's had some new ones on BBC 2 this year. There was one on Las Vegas and gambling, and another one on some religion thing in the USA which the name has deserted me!

I am thinking of buying the Weird Weekends boxset off Amazon. The one he did with Jimmy Saville was a pure riot.! rolleyes.gif

I actually always fancied journalism, but I don't know if I'd be any good at it. I think I might be 'too nice'. wink.gif

Back on topic - I agree with Michael V the only bit in the panorama show that shocked me, was the fact the guy claimed to be being almost 'stalked'. I am not criticising scientology, as I really don't know enough about it.
Mark

#34 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Here's an interesting question: why are people so apologetic for organisations which are allowed to do a lot of harm just because they call themselves a religion?

For example some of the first results from a Google search:

http://www.scientology-lies.com/crimesindex.html
http://www.skeptictank.org/fsplies.htm

I'd also like to let people know about Russell's teapot (for those of you who don't know it). It goes something like this:

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.
(You can read more about it at this site: Russell's Teapot.)

This goes for all religion, as far as I am concerned: why do we accept belief in infinitesimal china teapots (whether it's one, many or alien ones) as normal human behaviour which daren't be questioned?

I have no problem with people being religious provided that they can answer certain questions about their beliefs (just as anyone with firm political beliefs would be able to do). The problem is that, when questioned, too many religious people simply claim that the question is offensive and refuse to answer it.

So, to all you thetans out there, I have a question: what basis is there for the following belief.

Hubbard has stated on numerous occasions that it is possible for Scientologists to use mind over matter to increase one's body weight.

I'd really appreciate a proper answer to this question (assuming you've paid enough money to be taught this part).
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#35 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

Still undecided about scientology, tbh I dont know enough about it to make a properly informed opinion.
But, I do know that some of the stuff that is practised does change peoples lives for the better.
I also know that some of their beliefs are alien related?
It seems, to me, not wanting to sound harsh in any way, like a cop-out-club for people who dont want to think, or are unable to think, about issues as massive as aliens, god etc. etc. individually, so need the solutions to be bundled together in one conveniently packaged lump and jazzed up a bit to make it exciting and something they can talk about.
As I say though, I dont actually know.
Just a first impression.

Beyond it, and us, shines a greater hope and a brighter future
Can't wait 'til the exams are over!

#36 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 23 2007, 10:51 PM) View Post

www.tv-links.co.uk has loads of the louis therox stuff up on it smile.gif
but you didnt hear that from me ;D
Beyond it, and us, shines a greater hope and a brighter future
Can't wait 'til the exams are over!

#37 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:48 PM

scott, would i be right in saying ur 'religion' is either a hearts or rangers fan?doesnt matter either way, but iv jus seen ur comment an was disgusted. i think its a disgrace that u could think a name, a fairly common name and one which i have been called for many years, was sectarian.

to the moderators: i call for the immediate banning of the user 'scott' from hsn for a rediculous attack on my name.

edit: im not kiddin, im seriously ragin about this, it wasnt even me that brought the topic up i was just postin it as a favour

#38 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

I shouldn't really answer this because its just fueling it, but Scott's quite clearly joking

And I really don't see why you are "ragin" nobody has said anything remotely offensive concerning you. You really can't ask for people's honest opinions and then say they've offended you.

#39 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ May 25 2007, 10:48 PM) View Post
scott, would i be right in saying ur 'religion' is either a hearts or rangers fan?doesnt matter either way, but iv jus seen ur comment an was disgusted. i think its a disgrace that u could think a name, a fairly common name and one which i have been called for many years, was sectarian.

to the moderators: i call for the immediate banning of the user 'scott' from hsn for a rediculous attack on my name.

edit: im not kiddin, im seriously ragin about this, it wasnt even me that brought the topic up i was just postin it as a favour

You do realise you have a habit of causing trouble?

I wont even suggest getting you banned, as I'm not that pathetic.

#40 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

'There's a certain irony to someone called "paddyb67" calling other people sectarian'

that comment made me angry. others might not understand why, but as someone who has been on the receiving end of a sectarian attack i do not like to be called sectarian. i would also like to point out i didnt provoke it in any way, john.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users