Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help! Radiation! - HSN forum

Help! Radiation!

7 replies to this topic

#1 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

I am having serious issues understanding the principles behind fusion and fission. Is there any chance someone could explain the difference. I know fusion is when the join, and fission is when they split, but something tells me thats too vague.

Is the important thing protons, neutrons or electrons?

Help much appreciated.
Beyond it, and us, shines a greater hope and a brighter future
Can't wait 'til the exams are over!

#2 william

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:mainly girls, food, football, fishing and the odd sheep ( i live on a farm)

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

fission mainly
induced
induced is easy to spot cause theres a big old neutron added to the front of the equation.
fusion is when a big atom splits in two given two lighter atoms and a neutron + energy
thats about it really, i think......
"millis times ten to the power of minus 3 yeah?"

#3 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

This part deals only with nucleus. Ignore electrons, they are not involved in the process.

Fission is when one big nucleus splits into two seperate and smaller nuclei, releasing energy and neutrons in the process. It can be a spontaneous emisison (random) or induced, which the nucleus has to be bombarded with external neutron.

Fusion is when two small nuclei joined together/combine to form one bigger nucleus, releasing energy and sometimes neutrons in the process. Fusion is a 100% clean process and produce no radioactive byproduct. (extra information for chemistry)
Fusion cannot be currently achieved in a meaningful length of time as it requires tremendous energy to joined two nuclei that has the same positive force. (it repels)

The mass defect in both process equal the energy in einstein's equation e=mc^(2)

#4 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(verticalforce @ May 15 2007, 08:59 PM) View Post
This part deals only with nucleus. Ignore electrons, they are not involved in the process.

Fission is when one big nucleus splits into two seperate and smaller nuclei, releasing energy and neutrons in the process. It can be a spontaneous emisison (random) or induced, which the nucleus has to be bombarded with external neutron.

Fusion is when two small nuclei joined together/combine to form one bigger nucleus, releasing enery and sometimes neutrons in the process. Fusion is a 100% clean process and produce no radioactive byproduct. (extra information for chemistry)
Fusion cannot be currently achieved in a meaningful length of time as it requires tremendous energy to joined two nuclei that has the same positive force. (it repels)

The mass defect in both process equal the energy in einstein's equation e=mc^(2)

Ta x
So, last years paper had a question...

A nuclear fission reaction is represented by the following statement
\frac{235}{92} + \frac{1}{0}n ----> \frac{137}{r}Cs + \frac{s}{37}T + 4\frac{1}{0}n

(i) Is this a spontaneous or an induced reaction? Justify your answer.
(ii) Determine r and s

I get the rest of the parts so won't bother posting them...

No idea about (i)
I can get r, which is 55, but can't figure out s

Thanks
x

#5 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Induced, n is neutron and it is bombarding the nuclei. If neutron is on the L.H.S 99% of the time it is an induced process.

Second question is just a case of balancing the number. The total number on the top and bottom of LHS must matches exactly with total number of top and bottom of RHS.

LHS (top) total = 236

RHS(top) = 236 - [137+(4x1)] , s = 95

I bet you forgot to multiply 1 by 4 for the mass number of neutrons...

#6 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(verticalforce @ May 15 2007, 09:21 PM) View Post
Induced, n is neutron and it is bombarding the nuclei. If neutron is on the L.H.S 99% of the time it is an induced process.

Second question is just a case of balancing the number. The total number on the top and bottom of LHS must matches exactly with total number of top and bottom of RHS.

LHS (top) total = 236

RHS(top) = 236 - [137+(4x1)] , s = 95

I bet you forgot to multiply 1 by 4 for the mass number of neutrons...

Haha you bet right lol

THank you so much I think I get it now
Shame about the rest of the subject, but ta all the same!
Hows revision going?
x

#7 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

Been reading the Virtual Higher Physics, only need to read the third part on radiation and matter now.

The good thing about the cd is that i can read over the entire course without killing myself in the process...

#8 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(verticalforce @ May 15 2007, 09:27 PM) View Post
Been reading the Virtual Higher Physics, only need to read the third part on radiation and matter now.

The good thing about the cd is that i can read over the entire course without killing myself in the process...

Haha
I've just done all of the multi-choices : idk - didnt do awesomely, but not hideous.
The thing that its really shown up is how bad I am at equations of motion, so need to relearn that.
Think I'll get learnin that, then re-do all the multi-choice and the section b's of the 02 and 03 paper - leaving the other 04, 05 and 06 for tomorrow.
When tomorrow is over, my life will be more worth living lol!
x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users