Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher Maths 2007 Solutions - HSN forum - Page 3

Higher Maths 2007 Solutions

53 replies to this topic

#41 David_07

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(Mr H @ May 15 2007, 08:19 PM) View Post
For example, for P2 Q5 we thought of about 4 ways to do it but picked the one that we thought came closest to 2 marks. Most we thought involved more work than 2 marks seemed worth. For example, working out the point of intersection of the normals at P and Q, as someone suggested earlier I think.

That's how I worked it out. Did think at the time that it was a lot of work for 2 marks, but I just wanted to get it over with and move on, and not waste time on another method.

#42 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE(Mr H @ May 15 2007, 08:14 PM) View Post
QUOTE(John @ May 15 2007, 05:10 PM) View Post
Would it be possible for you to put up a copy of the actual paper if possible?

No can do John, sorry! Copyright.

Int2 and AH too If possible please biggrin.gif
We have very quick scribbled solutions for Int2 but will be putting up a neat copy as soon as possible.
IMHO it was a VERY straightforward exam, much easier than this years Credit yet worth more UCAS points. Go figure?!

We did not have anyone sitting AH this year so we don't have papers to make solutions for. Might get some from another school in due course.

Damn copyright dry.gif

Not even with a backhander?

#43 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(xlynsey @ May 15 2007, 04:47 PM)
hi
see for paper 2 on question one when you have to find the angle, everyone else(and in the marking scheme written by someone) used the magnitudes but i did it by using OP and 0Q then the dot prodcut of those two over the magnitudes. i got Q wrong in part b so obviously that meant i didnt get the right angle, but since you can only get penalised once i think maybe if my method is ok i wont lose the full five marks. does anyone know if thats an ok way to do it or not?
thanks--im really annoyed as i found the paper difficult but now looking at the answer schemes i seem to have actually got some of the harder ones that and done stupid things on the easier ones like this^ i mean the other way is so much easier and obvious. owell if someone could tell me if that way is a valid way that would be good!
thanks

Hi, rest easy! You should not get penalised for 'correct' working following an earlier error. However, if you made the solution easier, akthough in thos question unlikely, then you may not get full credit from that point. If you follow the link on page 1 of this thread that page also contains SQA marking schemes for 2005 & 2006. In them you will find the guidance given to markers on how to mark papers and see how questions are marked.

but the thing is, i did it a different way as your solution used the magnitues but i used OP(with arrow on top, so equaling p-o) and also OQ (withan arrow on top so q-o) then put these over the two magnitudes. although more complicated would it be another method as opposed to the one you used? i did use the wrong coord but maybe i will get some marks, only if that is a way of working it out if i had used the right coord.
unsure.gif

#44 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(xlynsey @ May 15 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post
... but i used OP(with arrow on top, so equaling p-o) and also OQ (withan arrow on top so q-o)...
That's OK, if I understand you right. I just used unit vector notation, for example p is the same as OP with the arrow on top. If you did that and only had one coordinate wrong and the rest of the working OK then you should get marks.

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#45 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

Mr H, if i go and sit Maths at your school, can you guarantee us a pass?

I kid, i kid... heh..thanks for the solution.. although I'm not brave enough to actually look at them..

Do you know the chance of appealing with 88% in the prelim (full prelim except for last chapter, wave function) and 92% in a second mini-prelim.? (second one is a real short one period of class-time exam)

#46 Gillz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gillian and my main interests are: running, cycling, going to the gym, shopping (more of an addiction than an interest!), rock/indie music and going out with friends.<br /><br />I am currently in sixth year, studying AH Geography, H Maths and Crash H Business Management.<br /><br />I've applied for a mixture of Geography and Business at uni and have had some offers back, so looking forward immensely to starting uni next year wherever that may be! <br /><br />Standard Grade results:1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3 for English, Geography, Admin, Physics, Chemistry, R.M.P.S, German, Art and Maths respectively.<br /><br />Fifth Year results: A,A,A,B,C for Int 2 Maths, H Physics, H Geography, H Chem and H English respectively.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the solutions once again! I tried to mark quite strictly and am looking at 80% so am pretty chuffed with that! I have one question Mr H, for question 3 on paper 1, would you still gain full marks even if you didn't multiply out the brackets? Cause i didn't multiply them out!

#47 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:19 PM

Thanks Mr H laugh.gif put my mind at rest a little bit!
solutions were helpful as well thank you

#48 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(Gillz @ May 16 2007, 12:03 AM) View Post
Thanks for the solutions once again! I tried to mark quite strictly and am looking at 80% so am pretty chuffed with that! I have one question Mr H, for question 3 on paper 1, would you still gain full marks even if you didn't multiply out the brackets? Cause i didn't multiply them out!

No, as all you have done is substition, which would be worth 1 mark out of 3?

To get the full marks you are required to multiply out and simplify.

Am I correct Mr H?

#49 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(verticalforce @ May 15 2007, 11:25 PM) View Post
Mr H, if i go and sit Maths at your school, can you guarantee us a pass?

I kid, i kid... heh..thanks for the solution.. although I'm not brave enough to actually look at them..

Do you know the chance of appealing with 88% in the prelim (full prelim except for last chapter, wave function) and 92% in a second mini-prelim.? (second one is a real short one period of class-time exam)

If only, if only!!

88% in a prelim covering nearly all the course is excellent! (88% at any time is excellent!)
Sounds like good evidence if required but your teacher will have a better idea.
Fingers crossed that you don't need to appeal!

H tends 2 infinity

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#50 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(Gillz @ May 16 2007, 12:03 AM) View Post

Hi, for Q3(a) I am sure that 1-2(x2+1) is as much as you need, the marking schemes usually stop there. I just went all the way for some reason.

Q3(b) arguably looks tidier multiplied out so I am less sure on what they might accept on that one.

H tends 2 infinity

#51 Indie_Cindy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

Just out of curiosity is it possible to get like 30 method marks?, 'cause thats the only way im passing this, i just hope my 50 marks worth of waffling gets me something. On the topic of appeals if you got 53% on a prelim covering the whole course and got full marks on 2 of the nabs, would they be likely to give you an appeal?.

#52 Hassan

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

Noo, why did I have to look at paper 2 solutions? I thought I'd only lost bout 12 marks but I think I've lost 20!

Add that on to 4 marks lost from paper 1, I've lost roughly 24 marks altogether which gives me 106/130 which is... oh 81% ohmy.gif Thought it'd be less than that, unless I've been too generous. Hmm.

#53 englisher

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Indie_Cindy @ May 16 2007, 02:54 PM) View Post
Just out of curiosity is it possible to get like 30 method marks?, 'cause thats the only way im passing this, i just hope my 50 marks worth of waffling gets me something. On the topic of appeals if you got 53% on a prelim covering the whole course and got full marks on 2 of the nabs, would they be likely to give you an appeal?.

Absolutely, so little of the marks are for the actual sums!

Any mistakes you make are penalised once and all subsequent working is marked as if it were correct, assuming you've not made the question easier for yourself. cool2.gif

#54 Stumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(Mr H @ May 15 2007, 01:16 PM) View Post
Solutions to Paper 1 are here: http://www.invergordon.highland.sch.uk/dep...amsolutions.htm

Edit: Paper 2 now available too!

Hope you like what you see! wink.gif

Paper 1 - laugh.gif

Paper 2 - blink.gif

Not to sure what grade I got just wanna say thanks for this cos it gave me a bit more confidence after a terrifying exam biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users