Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher Maths 2007 Solutions - HSN forum - Page 2

Higher Maths 2007 Solutions

53 replies to this topic

#21 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

Question 8 was worth 4 and Question 10 was worth 7 marks

I've seriously bombed paper 2

#22 David_07

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(Allan_r_123 @ May 15 2007, 04:24 PM) View Post
Question 8 was worth 4 and Question 10 was worth 7 marks

I've seriously bombed paper 2

Woo 11 marks cool.gif Roughly I think I got about 45 out of 70, added to about 55 out of 60, so 100 out of 130. Enough for an A? Certainly enough for the B I desperately need.

#23 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

Gods sake... you guys have all done so well.

The only chance I have left of passing is picking up random marks...

#24 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:MSN,Music,TV

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

I actually got more marks than i thought in Paper 2 so i'm feeling more confident about a B.

#25 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(Allan_r_123 @ May 15 2007, 04:28 PM) View Post
Gods sake... you guys have all done so well.

The only chance I have left of passing is picking up random marks...

Cheer-up Allan, SQA might decide to be generous. I think the majority, or whatever half then haven't done as well, most people in my school walked out in the second paper after an hour.

"Do not be frightened of death; it is life that causes pain"

#26 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

lol </3

#27 weerydo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

according to your marking scheme mr H, i have got 114/130 thats 88%. Hope it wurks out tht way.

#28 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

hi
see for paper 2 on question one when you have to find the angle, everyone else(and in the marking scheme written by someone) used the magnitudes but i did it by using OP and 0Q then the dot prodcut of those two over the magnitudes. i got Q wrong in part b so obviously that meant i didnt get the right angle, but since you can only get penalised once i think maybe if my method is ok i wont lose the full five marks. does anyone know if thats an ok way to do it or not?
thanks--im really annoyed as i found the paper difficult but now looking at the answer schemes i seem to have actually got some of the harder ones that and done stupid things on the easier ones like this^ i mean the other way is so much easier and obvious. owell if someone could tell me if that way is a valid way that would be good!
thanks tongue.gif

#29 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

Well I'm not positive, but if you make a mistake I'm sure the marker has to go on using your working and you should only be penalised the once...

#30 JohnPM

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

oh dear god i feel like crying after looking at paper 2 answers

#31 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(Mr H @ May 15 2007, 01:16 PM) View Post
Solutions to Paper 1 are here: http://www.invergordon.highland.sch.uk/dep...amsolutions.htm

Edit: Paper 2 now available too!

Hope you like what you see! wink.gif

Paper 1 - laugh.gif

Paper 2 - blink.gif

Would it be possible for you to put up a copy of the actual paper if possible? Int2 and AH too If possible please biggrin.gif

#32 nadoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hi. I have a question about Paper 2 Q5b. I got the same answer that is in the solution but i used a different method.
I used the fact the we know the gradient at Q is 4 so i said the Gradient at P will be -4.
If the gradient is negative -4 then x - 8 = -4 therefore x = 4 and the y-coord is the same as Q so the point P is (4,10)
Please let me know if this makes any sense and if i would get the mark for it.
Thanks alot.

#33 David_07

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(nadoo @ May 15 2007, 06:01 PM) View Post
Hi. I have a question about Paper 2 Q5b. I got the same answer that is in the solution but i used a different method.
I used the fact the we know the gradient at Q is 4 so i said the Gradient at P will be -4.
If the gradient is negative -4 then x - 8 = -4 therefore x = 4 and the y-coord is the same as Q so the point P is (4,10)
Please let me know if this makes any sense and if i would get the mark for it.
Thanks alot.

Think that's how I did it. Same answer and I'm sure it's a valid method. I was aware when I did the question that there were other ways of doing it.

#34 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(John @ May 15 2007, 05:10 PM) View Post
Solutions to Paper 1 are here: http://www.invergordon.highland.sch.uk/dep...amsolutions.htm

Paper 1 - laugh.gif

Paper 2 - blink.gif

Would it be possible for you to put up a copy of the actual paper if possible? Int2 and AH too If possible please biggrin.gif

blink.gif
You really are obsessed, aren't you John tongue.gif
The Int.2 one was...what word shall I use...fun?
Probabilities rock! biggrin.gif

♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#35 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(F.J @ May 15 2007, 06:58 PM) View Post

Paper 1 - laugh.gif

Paper 2 - blink.gif

blink.gif
You really are obsessed, aren't you John tongue.gif
The Int.2 one was...what word shall I use...fun?
Probabilities rock! biggrin.gif

I am biggrin.gif

#36 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(xlynsey @ May 15 2007, 04:47 PM) View Post
hi
see for paper 2 on question one when you have to find the angle, everyone else(and in the marking scheme written by someone) used the magnitudes but i did it by using OP and 0Q then the dot prodcut of those two over the magnitudes. i got Q wrong in part b so obviously that meant i didnt get the right angle, but since you can only get penalised once i think maybe if my method is ok i wont lose the full five marks. does anyone know if thats an ok way to do it or not?
thanks--im really annoyed as i found the paper difficult but now looking at the answer schemes i seem to have actually got some of the harder ones that and done stupid things on the easier ones like this^ i mean the other way is so much easier and obvious. owell if someone could tell me if that way is a valid way that would be good!
thanks tongue.gif

Hi, rest easy! You should not get penalised for 'correct' working following an earlier error. However, if you made the solution easier, akthough in thos question unlikely, then you may not get full credit from that point. If you follow the link on page 1 of this thread that page also contains SQA marking schemes for 2005 & 2006. In them you will find the guidance given to markers on how to mark papers and see how questions are marked.

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#37 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

I've seriouly failed the whole thing. Not that I was expecting to pass anyway. Paper one was fine up until question eight then paper two....*hysterical laugh* Well were not going to go there.

Looks like a resit guys.
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#38 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Mr H for posting these - been a lot of help - glad to know i am somewhere around a B - have 75 at least ( unless ive been too generous!!) but i think maybe higher - dont want to tempt fate tho!

Does anyone know in paper 1 the circle question basically I had no clue how to do it and just did the obvious found the centre and the radius - would this be worth 1 mark?

Thanks

#39 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

Would it be possible for you to put up a copy of the actual paper if possible?

No can do John, sorry! Copyright.

Int2 and AH too If possible please biggrin.gif

We have very quick scribbled solutions for Int2 but will be putting up a neat copy as soon as possible.
IMHO it was a VERY straightforward exam, much easier than this years Credit yet worth more UCAS points. Go figure?!

We did not have anyone sitting AH this year so we don't have papers to make solutions for. Might get some from another school in due course.

H tends 2 infinity

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#40 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

Regarding alternative solutions. I wanted to get these solutions done very quickly for my class so only had time to show the first method I thought of or the method that my class were more familiar with in the first instance.

There are often one or two different ways to solve questions, particularly those that involve more problem solving.

For example, for P2 Q5© we thought of about 4 ways to do it but picked the one that we thought came closest to 2 marks. Most we thought involved more work than 2 marks seemed worth. For example, working out the point of intersection of the normals at P and Q, as someone suggested earlier I think.

H tends 2 infinity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users