Exam Post Mortem

81 replies to this topic

Poll: Grades you are hoping to get? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

What Grades?

1. A - you little Einsteins! (18 votes [32.73%])

Percentage of vote: 32.73%

2. B - (11 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. C - (10 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. D - have some more confidence! (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

5. I'd definitely fail this (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

6. Undecided (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

I think the paper was fair, it's not really easy like last year, but it was still doable. I'm hoping for an A since I got an A in the prelim but i don't really know what grades i'm going to get....

What do you guys think? I think the pass mark is definitely going to drop this year, last year paper was real easy!

#2 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Sorry about the spelling mistake in the title, too tired today! I love alliteration...lol...

#3 BuckminsterFullerene

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, found it absolutely simple! ph34r.gif
Chemical Engineering - Edinburgh

Conditional

#4 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

And oh guys, don't discuss the questions nor answers in this thread. Keep it general as some people like me don't like spoilers! (or don't like to be proven they are wrong tongue.gif)

#5 BuckminsterFullerene

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(verticalforce @ May 15 2007, 12:39 PM) View Post
And oh guys, don't discuss the questions nor answers in this thread. Keep it general as some people like me don't like spoilers! (or don't like to be proven they are wrong tongue.gif)

Damn, that's what post-mortems are for though!

Conditional

#6 JohnPM

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

I absolutely hated the last couple of questions in paper 2

after doing the 2004-2006 papers i thought i had a pretty good chance of an A, now im really uncertain whether ill get at least a B

#7 Indie_Cindy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:47 AM

After doing the past papers and getting pretty good marks i thoguht i could get a C, maybe even a B.
Paper 1 was do-able but i messed it up a wee bit, still think i passed it though
Paper 2 was horendous. I did the first 4 questions, then after that i didnt even know what it was asking, so yeah i dont even think i got a D now....

#8 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:49 AM

I think I did alright, paper two was slightly harder, I messed up a few times but recovered again my papers always have scoring outs in it from where i do the questions again.

I calculated the ones I got right in paper 2 and got a good B, and I think paper 1 was good, so ought to get an A hopefully biggrin.gif

"Do not be frightened of death; it is life that causes pain"

#9 ross_rosco

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Music (writing, listning, playing) <br />Football - mildly interested<br />Hockey - Play for men's team

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

I found paper 1 the easiest paper I've ever sat. Ever.
Paper two, however, was the hardest paper I've ever sat. Ever.

Quite a contrast! I mean, prove the gradient of the log? wacko.gif

An A is still possible, as I think I'll have done well on P1.
"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere..."

#10 David_07

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(ross_rosco @ May 15 2007, 01:04 PM) View Post

Quite a contrast! I mean, prove the gradient of the log? wacko.gif

An A is still possible, as I think I'll have done well on P1.

Same as you. Paper 1 was easy, only mistake I made was the trig equation. Paper 2 was hard as blink.gif The first 5 questions were OK, then it was just impossible.

#11 Hassan

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(ross_rosco @ May 15 2007, 01:04 PM) View Post

I kind of agree with you. I knew paper 2 would be quite hard after the easy-ish paper 1 but didn't anticipate THAT.
The first question baffled me cos I can't work out 3-D coordinates (the only thing I can't do in vectors admittedly) which meant I got the angle wrong. Then I couldn't work out the coordinates in the last log equation which meant I got the next bit wrong.

Also, the parabola touching the circle question - I didn't do the last part but know how to do it now rolleyes.gif

So overall, I might scrape an A but I said B in the poll so I'm not disappointed.

#12 BuckminsterFullerene

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

For the parabola/circle question, you need to deduce perpendicular bisectors for P and Q, and find where they intersect, ie. the center of the circle.
Did anyone else get 30 degrees for the angle?

Conditional

#13 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

From a teacher's point of view, paper 1 was very straightforward. All standard textbook/past paper questions, mostly KU style questions in SG speak, with a liitle problem solving, e.g. Q5.

Paper 2 was a bit harder, lots more reading, lots more to take in and process and more problem solving. However, if you kept your head most questions were doable.

Overall I think the exam was fair but perhaps could have been balanced better between the papers. A weaker candidate would find paper 2 very tough in places.

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#14 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

Well thought paper 1 was great looked at the solutions on the other website and only have seemed to drop about 10 marks so its a high pass.
Paper 2 on the other hand was the hardest paper I have sat - I mean 3 log questions in 1 paper? After adding up ( teachers have now told me how to do most of the paper) I have about 40/70 for that paper. Praying the pass mark this year is lowered to about 90/130 for an A!!

#15 Mikey

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

It wasn't too bad but what the hell was the last question on paper 2 all about!???????

Oh well, lets look foward to physics tomoro mellow.gif

#16 David_07

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(BuckminsterFullerene @ May 15 2007, 01:20 PM) View Post
For the parabola/circle question, you need to deduce perpendicular bisectors for P and Q, and find where they intersect, ie. the center of the circle.

I got 30.

#17 BuckminsterFullerene

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(Mr H @ May 15 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post
From a teacher's point of view, paper 1 was very straightforward. All standard textbook/past paper questions, mostly KU style questions in SG speak, with a liitle problem solving, e.g. Q5.

Paper 2 was a bit harder, lots more reading, lots more to take in and process and more problem solving. However, if you kept your head most questions were doable.

Overall I think the exam was fair but perhaps could have been balanced better between the papers. A weaker candidate would find paper 2 very tough in places.

Thank you for posting solutions, very greatful Mr H.

Conditional

#18 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(David_07 @ May 15 2007, 01:42 PM) View Post
QUOTE(BuckminsterFullerene @ May 15 2007, 01:20 PM) View Post

I got 30.

i got like 26 or 28 point something - not looking to good lol although Im sure i used the right points. huh.gif

#19 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

I'm sure I got 30 for that as well.

I am not confident at all, and think - at most - I'll scrape a C.

Paper 1 was not bad, but Paper 2 was absolutley murder and I've really mucked some of it up big style.

My teacher said paper 2 was far too difficult and he was on the phone to a teacher from another school and they were both like raging about it - because the SQA are trying to compensate for last years easy exam... I thought paper 2 was murder.

#20 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE(Allan_r_123 @ May 15 2007, 01:47 PM) View Post
I'm sure I got 30 for that as well.

I am not confident at all, and think - at most - I'll scrape a C.

Paper 1 was not bad, but Paper 2 was absolutley murder and I've really mucked some of it up big style.

My teacher said paper 2 was far too difficult and he was on the phone to a teacher from another school and they were both like raging about it - because the SQA are trying to compensate for last years easy exam... I thought paper 2 was murder.

i think the first 3 questions from paper 2 were fine - but the last log question - i had literally given up by that point and i didnt know how to find the equation of the graph with the cubic function.

ah well lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users