Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Stuck on a past paper question - HSN forum

Stuck on a past paper question

4 replies to this topic

#1 kamran

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

aight guys, just stuck on a past paper question. its the 2003 paper, Q28) B)ii

any help, would be appreciated.

#2 william

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:mainly girls, food, football, fishing and the odd sheep ( i live on a farm)

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

its all to do with waves and interference,
if waves are in phase they will undergo constructive interference and produce a maximum ( e.g loud)
but if waves are out of phase then they will undergo destructive interference and cancel out to give a minima ( e.g no sound)

hope this helps like smile.gif
"millis times ten to the power of minus 3 yeah?"

#3 kamran

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

thz mate, but how am i meant to know that destuctive interference is occurung inside the headphones??

#4 william

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:mainly girls, food, football, fishing and the odd sheep ( i live on a farm)

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

well i guessed the pilot didnt want to get his ears really hurt from the sound!
"millis times ten to the power of minus 3 yeah?"

#5 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

crest meets crest, trough meets trough = constructive

crest meets trough, trough meets crest = destructive

I've checked the marking instruction and this would have given you the same marks as explaining how the waves are in phase/out of phase.

A diagram instead of explanation is acceptable too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users