Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How did you find the exam? - HSN forum - Page 2

How did you find the exam?

57 replies to this topic

#21 Angel-Light

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

So glad that is now over, somehow I thought close reading finished at 9:30am (about 40 minutes before it finished) so I panicked but weyhey.

I found the close reading quite reasonable and much easier than the ones I done in class last week.

For the essays I did Question 2 (Death of a Salesman) and question 5 (Prime of Miss Jean Brodie) tongue.gif

No more english woohoo!

#22 fifimc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:24 PM

I'm with you angel-light...no more English ever for me!

I thought the close reading was a bit well odd but ok for the most of it!

The poetry questions in the critical essay bit were terrible for me and i was kinda of relying on a poetry question! I scraped together an essay on Romeo and Juliet though on the theme of sacrifice, it sort of worked! But the i was so happy there was a question for a hanging in the prose bit! I did question 11 on and informative and passionate essay...yay!

Suppose have to wait till August to see how it all went really though!

xx

#23 ian_dornan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

The close reading was awful, and see all the people who are worried about question 13 don't be, i only got up to question 10 finishhed so i should be the one worrying. The critical essays weren't too bad, the choice's were ok. I did question 3 for "a View from the Bridge", and question 15 for "visiting hour". I didn't get either essay finished but i did bout five pages for each. And there's a woman invigilator who was wearing the same squeaky shoes she was last year during the standard grade exams, and the school pool is through the wall and wee kids were screaming and shouting. Grrr!!! mad.gif

#24 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:35 PM

Yeh I did find it pretty weird... yep hopefully us HSN'ers will do good! hehe

4 more to go! =p

#25 thedealer07

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:41 PM

I did nothing....

#26 Amazoph

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

I did Q4 on romeo and juliet... i think it was a total disaster as i forgot most of my quotes tongue.gif

Did Q8 on Father and Son and I think that was better since I remembered my quotes that time tongue.gif

I think I got about 2 and a half paragraphs on q13 on the close reading... hopefully i got it right :S

#27 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

No more english!!! laugh.gif

But i didnt not like those essay questions! Wrote a load of rubbish for them both!! Cant even remember what they were on. but i thought the close reading was ok, i wont go as far as saying it was easy, but it was better than i had expected!
Grrrrrr!!

#28 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

I'm going to sleep all day today and study for maths and physics in the weekend...

SQA is absolutely crazy for putting maths and physics so close together.

No more english forever for me too...wooootttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 fifimc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

I have it worse I'm telling you I have maths on Tuesday and then economics AND physics on Wednesday I am so screwed! But hey one done four to go!

#30 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Allan_r_123 @ May 11 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post
I know... 4 more to go - Maths on tuesday! (I'll see you all in the maths forum, eh?wink.gif haha)

Haha. I couldn't believe how many people were using the english forum yesterday! I pity anyone who's taking higher maths - good luck to you all!

As for tactics for today's exam, I decided not to read the passages, I just read the final question and got stuck in. Probably just as well as I still didn't quite finish the last queston.

And also yay!!! No more English for me - 5 years of torture is over biggrin.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#31 Amazoph

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(F.J)
And also yay!!! No more English for me - 5 years of torture is over biggrin.gif

Hear hear - no more english for me... ever biggrin.gif

(Unless I discover I've failed and then the parents will make me do it again -.- )

#32 x_Jo_x

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

bonjour! i am very happy with what i did today. In the close reading i was a bit tight for time but must have been okay cause i managed to do 2 pages long for Q13! there must be some right answer in there somewhere!

For the critical essays i did Q9 for "Marrakech" by George Orwell and i did Q14 for Tam o'Shanter. Very pleased with what i wrote and i managed to remember all my quotes!

I'm sure everyone has done just fine! smile.gif

#33 Amazoph

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(x_Jo_x @ May 11 2007, 03:11 PM) View Post
bonjour! i am very happy with what i did today. In the close reading i was a bit tight for time but must have been okay cause i managed to do 2 pages long for Q13! there must be some right answer in there somewhere!

Perhaps the examiners will just think you are waffling, as my english teacher says when we write such an overlong answer tongue.gif

Then again, I did my exam on a PC so im not exactly sure how long my answer would be when written :S

#34 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

Oooh do you get as much time as doing it on a PC?:S lol Like surely some people can type faster than they would write so you wouldn't need as much time? lol

If I pass this year it'll be my last ever, but if I don't get at least a B I'll do it again next year.

#35 x_Jo_x

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(Amazoph @ May 11 2007, 03:36 PM) View Post
QUOTE(x_Jo_x @ May 11 2007, 03:11 PM) View Post

Perhaps the examiners will just think you are waffling, as my english teacher says when we write such an overlong answer tongue.gif

Then again, I did my exam on a PC so im not exactly sure how long my answer would be when written :S

Oh well. But i think it'll be okay. I think i just wrote tons of stuff, but not waffling. My teacher said that they never mark negatively- if you have a good point in the middle of a load of crap then you can still get the mark. meh... i'll just have to wait and see what i get in august lol tongue.gif

#36 Amazoph

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Allan_r_123 @ May 11 2007, 03:53 PM) View Post
Oooh do you get as much time as doing it on a PC?:S lol Like surely some people can type faster than they would write so you wouldn't need as much time? lol

If I pass this year it'll be my last ever, but if I don't get at least a B I'll do it again next year.

We got extra time doing it on the PCs since half of them didn't work blink.gif

Cue lots of shuffling as people try and find a working PC since the invigilators insist we make a copy of our answers on floppy disks and most of the floppy disk drives were kaput tongue.gif

Also, they're kinda slow... 5 minutes to get to the word processor from turning on is the average i think huh.gif

#37 ScoobyDoo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

I thought the exam was ok....Not the best Close reading ever though, I missed out a total of 4 marks which isnt bad considering a girl in my class got up to q8.

For the critical essays I did q1 - Revenge for "Hamlet" - PERFECT question!
And for "Jekyll and Hyde" I did q8 - unexpected ending (I had done that exact same essay last week and got 17/25)

My friends should just be finished their Int.2 exam right now.....

Now its Maths on tuesday! sad.gif
Brooke: Lucas is the one for me.
Chris: Actually, my name is Chris.

Brooke: Look, whatever you heard, you heard WRONG!
Chris: So you're NOT into me?!
Brooke: NO!

Chris (singing to Brooke): Lucas and Haley aren't back yet, but you can come into the devil's lair, drop your things, have sex with Chris Keller, WHATEVER!

ONE TREE HILL IS <3

#38 x_Jo_x

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(ScoobyDoo @ May 11 2007, 04:12 PM) View Post
Now its Maths on tuesday! sad.gif

eep. unsure.gif i m really not looking forward to maths! luckily, we have a revision day on monday so all concerns (ie the whole course! lol) will be solved!

#39 nadoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

Hi. I am a new user to this forum - i use the HSN notes and read the forum occasionally but decide to add a reply today after the English exam.
I thought the close reading was ok but I had to rush the last question.
For my essay i chose the poetry Q12 and wrote a good essay on Hotel Room 12th Floor
However my 2nd essay was Q11 on Marrakech. But i did not manage to finish this on time and only managed to get 2 good paragraphs done. But when the invigilator told us there was 10mnz left i done a conclusion and wrote as essay plan on the back including quotes i would have used if i had time.
Does anyone know if the markers will accept this and will they give me a decent mark for this essay.

#40 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

I liked the close reading. Thought the actual passages were quite intersting compared to normal!

Writing paper...hmmm...cracking Hamlet question - was it 3 or 4 - the one about a crucial mistake? But it was good!
Struggled to find another one, but did 7 about the unexpected ending, and had to do a LOT of twisting!

Hoping for an A, expecting a B

x
Beyond it, and us, shines a greater hope and a brighter future
Can't wait 'til the exams are over!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users