Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How did you find the exam? - HSN forum - Page 3

How did you find the exam?

57 replies to this topic

#41 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(verticalforce @ May 11 2007, 02:57 PM) View Post
I'm going to sleep all day today and study for maths and physics in the weekend...

SQA is absolutely crazy for putting maths and physics so close together.

No more english forever for me too...wooootttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a bitch innit!
But 2 week breaka fter so, meh - not so bad biggrin.gif

Beyond it, and us, shines a greater hope and a brighter future
Can't wait 'til the exams are over!

#42 x_Jo_x

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(nadoo @ May 11 2007, 04:20 PM) View Post
Hi. I am a new user to this forum - i use the HSN notes and read the forum occasionally but decide to add a reply today after the English exam.
I thought the close reading was ok but I had to rush the last question.
For my essay i chose the poetry Q12 and wrote a good essay on Hotel Room 12th Floor
However my 2nd essay was Q11 on Marrakech. But i did not manage to finish this on time and only managed to get 2 good paragraphs done. But when the invigilator told us there was 10mnz left i done a conclusion and wrote as essay plan on the back including quotes i would have used if i had time.
Does anyone know if the markers will accept this and will they give me a decent mark for this essay.

hi, i think you will get some credit for putting in your essay plan and your quotes, because it shows the marker that you had the potential to write all that stuff so i wouldn't worry too much! writing a conclusion may help as well.

#43 Hassan

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hey, I'm new-ish on the forum but heres how I found the exam:

Close reading was pretty straight forward. I'm glad the topic was half decent (our prelim topic was about footballers =\ ) and I finished all the q's but didn't have time to check over my answers.
Essay went ok. Picked the 'crucial error' one for The Crucible and thought it was quite good.
There were no decent q's for Gatsby so I done the one comparing two poems. I had to rush it a bit towards the end and was totally shaking - thought I wouldn't get it finished! But thankfully I did and it was... ok I guess.

So yeh, all in all it went fairly well. Hope I get the grade I want!

#44 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

Heh, i wrote my plan at the front with the title "ignore this page!1 plan!!!" in a scribbled, panic writing....lol

#45 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

Cool Hassan. I did The Crucible too! tongue.gif I did Q2 though - about the key scene...

Where abouts is your school by the way? If you don't mind me asking lol

#46 Hassan

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

I find it really hard to write about one thing so I picked Q3.
Btw I just realised I used the whole book they gave you to write in. Thats 16 pages ohmy.gif

My school is up near Inverness. Quite a small school.

#47 titan

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(maximus @ May 11 2007, 01:01 PM) View Post
owel looks like that new topic i posted was pointless tongue.gif

"how did everybody find it?

i thought the essay questions were not bad, did the question about an entertaining scene - Friar's soliloquay (romen and juliet)
and a literal and metaphorical journey : Sparrow by Norman Mac Caig

don't have a clue how i did on the close reading... pain in the ass mostly, though i never really know how i do in close readings.. i thought, didnt properly finish the last question, but i don't think anyone really got that finished. only 3 people i've spoken to got the whole thing finished. as for me, "Two minutes to go" and i was only 1/4 through my already scrappy answer...owel hopefully i've passed cos i really don't want to resit it again next year sad.gif "

I did the literal meaning and the metaphorical journey as well, for norman maccaigs visiting hour, thot the close reading went really well actually also i did the crucial error question on a view from a bridge, was quite chuffed with my self really! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif:D:D:D:D:D:D: TITAN
TITAN :D

#48 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

Lol yeh I used the full book as well pmsl

Lol was wondering your location as my prelim was on footballers as well and we both seemed to do the same drama wink.gif lol

#49 Mikey

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

English was ok, i mean it could have been a lot worse! laugh.gif

#50 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(JohnPM @ May 11 2007, 01:14 PM) View Post
I spent too much time on passage 1 and had to rush answering the second. I thought last years reading was easier.

For the writing, The poetry questions were horrible, i studied 3 poems and none were suitable. Luckily i still had hamlet and gatsby.

What Gatsby question did you do?

I found the close reading alright I think... although I said that about the prelim and got a C and I realised at the last minute when I was flicking through I had forgotten to do question 9 so I was scribbing it in furiously, it's hardly legible XD

When I look at the questions for the essays I went "oh bugger" under my breath, they weren't as good as I hoped it to be. I did number two for the Streetcar, blabbed my way through that, and instead of doing Gatsby I did.. I think it was 12? or 14? for Valentine.

I know one class who just did Gatsby and three poems... they all came out looking like hell.

"Do not be frightened of death; it is life that causes pain"

#51 High Flyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Hey everyone. . . I only found out about the forum yesterday, so, I suppose its best I introduce myself. . what better a place than the after exam thread tongue.gif

All I can say is i'm so bloody glad that I wasn't the only one who thought he/she was gubbed for this exam. . the questions were. . crap imo. . . the close reading was fairly simple (Although, saying that. . I probably have failed considering. . i'm never really good at close reading. . ) and as for paper 2. I was really hoping for a question on symbolism for prose and a question to do with dealing with emotions for poetry. . Gatsby and Visiting hour. .
Well. . Ended up doing questions 15 and 8. . . Glad to see that i'm not the only one who ended up talking about the journey through the hospital/life . .

#52 allybally

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

I talked about a character not living in harmony with their society for Gatsby - think it was question 8. To be honest, I felt there was 2 I could have done on Gatsby, there wasn't any point I though 'Oh Crap, there's nothing to write!'

#53 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

I was going to do that too but then I felt like I didn't have enough evidence.. and then I was going to talk about Nick cause he's not wealthy and stuff but then I was like stuff it.

"Do not be frightened of death; it is life that causes pain"

#54 JohnPM

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(yannica @ May 11 2007, 10:40 PM) View Post
QUOTE(JohnPM @ May 11 2007, 01:14 PM) View Post
I spent too much time on passage 1 and had to rush answering the second. I thought last years reading was easier.

For the writing, The poetry questions were horrible, i studied 3 poems and none were suitable. Luckily i still had hamlet and gatsby.

What Gatsby question did you do?

I found the close reading alright I think... although I said that about the prelim and got a C and I realised at the last minute when I was flicking through I had forgotten to do question 9 so I was scribbing it in furiously, it's hardly legible XD

When I look at the questions for the essays I went "oh bugger" under my breath, they weren't as good as I hoped it to be. I did number two for the Streetcar, blabbed my way through that, and instead of doing Gatsby I did.. I think it was 12? or 14? for Valentine.

I know one class who just did Gatsby and three poems... they all came out looking like hell.

I did question 7 i think, the one with the ending you didn't expect. I just wrote that i didn't predict gatsby to die at the end, it was an unfortunate set of circumstances that he was blamed by wilson for killing his wife, even though it was daisy.

#55 Indie_Cindy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:24 PM

Close reading - was okay but i still recon i messed it up, i had half an hour left and i was still on question 5, so that freaked me out quite a bit, but i only missed out about 2 marks, so it was ok.

Essays - I was sooo chuffed with the essay questions, everything in the drama section fitted my play. For the drama section i did Arthur Miller - "A View from the Bridge" for the changing relationship between a male and female character. And for poetry i did Norman MacCaig - "Visiting Hour" for the metaphorical and literal journey.

#56 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

That question is perfect for visiting hour! Good on you Indie_Cindy!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#57 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

I found the close reading relativly easy and the essay paper had a perfect question for both my poem and drama ~ well chuffed with the way it went ~ <3 I might have passed xD
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#58 Yaz

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

I found the Close Reading fairly straight forward (gr8 topic to keep us awake by the way - trust the SQA glare.gif)

The Critical Essays were a totally different matter - I ended up doing Hamlet with Q.2 and only realised that the other drama questions were much better options but couldn't start again otherwise i wouldn't finish in time.

The other essay was better though - did it on "An Advancement of Learning" Seamus Heaney poem.

Overall, i thought the questions could have been better (was really wanting to do an essay on the short story "Flight") but i suppose the Close Reading kind of balanced it out.

O well - we can only hope for the best thumbsup.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users