Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Do you read the close reading?! - HSN forum

Do you read the close reading?!

22 replies to this topic

#1 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:09 PM

Hey - first of all good luck for everyone sitting the exam tomorrow - especially if your as worried as I am! tongue.gif

Anyway, today me and my friends were discussing whether or not you read the close reading passage or just get stuck in and answer the questions. The majority of them just read it as they answer the questions, and my teacher advised to do something similair.

However, I've always did the oppoisite and have quickly read over the passage so I understand the original idea's etc. being portrayed before trying to tackle questions on it...

I've not failed a close reading this year, and got a B in my first prelim then an A in my second prelim.

I'm tempted not to read the paper to gain myself some time in general, but think it may be beneficial just to stick to my normal ways as it hasn't let me down yet!

What do you guys do, and think about it?

#2 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

I read the final comparison questions. That way, when you're working you're way through the passage you have an idea of what you're looking for. But I don't seem to have time to read the actual passage. And again, good luck to you too
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#3 kirstyprice90

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:My bebo http://kirstyprice90.bebo.com<br /><br />May 2005:<br /><br />* Intermediate 1 maths (1,2 and 3) - A<br /><br />May 2006:<br /><br />* Intermediate 2 English - A<br />* Intermediate 2 Computing - A<br />* Intermediate 2 Maths (1,2,3) - No Award<br />* S.G History - 1<br />* S.G Modern Studies - 1<br />* S.G French - 1<br />* S.G Chemistry - 1<br />* S.G Religious Studies - 1<br /><br />May 2007<br /><br />* Higher English<br />* Higher Geography<br />* Higher History<br />* Higher Modern Studies<br />* Higher RMPS

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:24 PM

I've always read both passages first too, but since my second prelim I'm having second thoughts about this as I didn't have time to finish the comparison question propely and check over my answers. I know its taking a risk, but tomorrow I think I'll change my tactics (haha!) and start with the questions, since they direct you to the important bits anyway! Good luck guys! x
My Bebo: Bebo!

#4 Pete

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(Allan_r_123 @ May 10 2007, 05:09 PM) View Post
Hey - first of all good luck for everyone sitting the exam tomorrow - especially if your as worried as I am! tongue.gif

Anyway, today me and my friends were discussing whether or not you read the close reading passage or just get stuck in and answer the questions. The majority of them just read it as they answer the questions, and my teacher advised to do something similair.

However, I've always did the oppoisite and have quickly read over the passage so I understand the original idea's etc. being portrayed before trying to tackle questions on it...

I've not failed a close reading this year, and got a B in my first prelim then an A in my second prelim.

I'm tempted not to read the paper to gain myself some time in general, but think it may be beneficial just to stick to my normal ways as it hasn't let me down yet!

What do you guys do, and think about it?

You may think you gain some time by doing the questions first, but in reality you'll end up losing time as you'll have to re-read everything a few times to understand it. That doesn't happen if you read the passage the whole way through and understand it, then answer the questions. The order it should be done is: read passage one => answer questions => read passage two => answer questions => answer comparison question, all the while looking back to give more detailed responses. By just diving in and answering the questions you could lose marks since you may not fully understand the ideas conveyed in the passage.

#5 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(Pete @ May 10 2007, 05:26 PM) View Post
You may think you gain some time by doing the questions first, but in reality you'll end up losing time as you'll have to re-read everything a few times to understand it. That doesn't happen if you read the passage the whole way through and understand it, then answer the questions. The order it should be done is: read passage one => answer questions => read passage two => answer questions => answer comparison question, all the while looking back to give more detailed responses. By just diving in and answering the questions you could lose marks since you may not fully understand the ideas conveyed in the passage.

That's exactly what I normally do. I've decided im gonna stick by my normal tactic's I think. It'll give me a better understanding of the text as a whole and then allow me to give a more detailed response, and like you say I'll probably end up losing time again.

Thanks a lot for that response. smile.gif

#6 kirstyprice90

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:My bebo http://kirstyprice90.bebo.com<br /><br />May 2005:<br /><br />* Intermediate 1 maths (1,2 and 3) - A<br /><br />May 2006:<br /><br />* Intermediate 2 English - A<br />* Intermediate 2 Computing - A<br />* Intermediate 2 Maths (1,2,3) - No Award<br />* S.G History - 1<br />* S.G Modern Studies - 1<br />* S.G French - 1<br />* S.G Chemistry - 1<br />* S.G Religious Studies - 1<br /><br />May 2007<br /><br />* Higher English<br />* Higher Geography<br />* Higher History<br />* Higher Modern Studies<br />* Higher RMPS

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

My tactics are changing again! I will go with your advice Pete! That was a very persuasive point you had, thank you!

#7 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Yip, me too. I would really strongly advise reading the comparison questions before the passages though - it really helps! I can't be as persuasive as Pete, but please believe me, my grade went from a low C to high B, and that was practically all I changed tongue.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#8 kirstyprice90

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

wow! im currently only making high C's/low B's! But not a lot of time to change it! So I'm listening to all this advice! smile.gif Critical essays are my strong point rather than close reading by far!

#9 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(kirstyprice90 @ May 10 2007, 05:51 PM) View Post
wow! im currently only making high C's/low B's! But not a lot of time to change it! So I'm listening to all this advice! smile.gif Critical essays are my strong point rather than close reading by far!

Glad my threads been of benficial use to others as well! smile.gif

Okay I'll take a quick look at the comparison questions then so I have a rough idea what to be looking for as well, then quickly read through the first passage. I'll the answer questions and do the same for the second passage.

I'm stronger in my critical essays as well but I'm really, really worried about the questions choice lol.

#10 kirstyprice90

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:05 PM

yeah me too! Im only revising four texts, and im strong with my poetry - but the questions are really restricted! I'm currently revising Death of a Salesman while procrastinating away on here - but yeah it has been beneficial! Good luck tomorrow! Fingers crossed the questions suit us all! x

#11 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

Yep I also read passage 1 - answer q's - read passage 2 answer q's. Also before reading passage 1 I read the questions on both passages just to give myself an idea of what I should be looking for eg ideas or style or both.

Hopefully a good paper will come up for us tomorrow hoping for a lot of word choice questions!

Good Luck!

#12 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(kirstyprice90 @ May 10 2007, 06:05 PM) View Post
yeah me too! Im only revising four texts, and im strong with my poetry - but the questions are really restricted! I'm currently revising Death of a Salesman while procrastinating away on here - but yeah it has been beneficial! Good luck tomorrow! Fingers crossed the questions suit us all! x

Also trying to revise Death of a Salesman right now but not really happening!! may take a wee break! wink.gif

#13 kirstyprice90

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

I always type up my notes on the computer, then add to them when I know more things and such! There is a thread on here about Death of a Salesman with some useful links! It's back a good few pages but it's worth a look! I can't find anything for Shooting an Elephant though and my notes aren't that detailed on that!

#14 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

I did "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller as my play rather than Death of a Salesman.

It's my strongest text and I'm praying for a good question on it.

I really do just hope I get some nice questions, lol.

Also about there being a lot of understanding questions - I doubt it, as last years paper had so many I think they will perhaps penalise us year to make up for it...

#15 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

yep - thats true last year i thought i had passed lol coz of so many understanding questions - not true i got a D sad.gif

ohwell just hoping for lots of word choice questions and a good amount of understanding and hopefully 1 question on both passages covering both ideas and style - i always seem to do better at those ones!

#16 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

Yeh hopefully the questions will be good and more improtantly - the damn passage will be interesting! =p

#17 ross_rosco

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Music (writing, listning, playing) <br />Football - mildly interested<br />Hockey - Play for men's team

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

ALan just a little help for you as I am pleased to see someone else with the same close reading tactics as me and I'd hate to see you fall on technical accuracy! 'tactics' is a plural therefore no apostrophe required. Also it should be 'especially if you're as worried as I am'.
"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere..."

#18 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(ross_rosco @ May 10 2007, 07:55 PM) View Post
ALan just a little help for you as I am pleased to see someone else with the same close reading tactics as me and I'd hate to see you fall on technical accuracy! 'tactics' is a plural therefore no apostrophe required. Also it should be 'especially if you're as worried as I am'.

Rofl not a clue why I included that apostrophe - but don't worry, I'm fully aware it wasn't required! wink.gif And I know all about "your and you're" as well wink.gif

Lol when I'm online I don't type in full English most of the time, so just abbreviated the your wink.gif

#19 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

In the prelim I read BOTH passages first before I delve into the questions... A waste of 5 minutes since I don't really remmeber what passage 2 is all about by the time i reach the question....

I'm gonna follow pete's technique for tomorrow.

#20 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

Yeh I think that's the best idea... Good luck for tomorrow!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users