Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Football Team of the Year 2007 - HSN forum

Football Team of the Year 2007

16 replies to this topic

#1 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

I was reading a newsgroup from my department at uni and someone has came up with this thread, where you pick your 'dream team' from the football season/current footballing talent. Thought it was a good idea for all the football fans out there. I'll kick us off with mine.

Cech (GK)

Miguel(DF) Maldini(DF) Carvalho(DF) Bridge(DF)

Ronaldo(MD) Essien(MD) Dani Alves(MD) Kaka(MD)

Drogba(STR) Van Nistelrooy (STR)

Subs: Messi (MD/STR)
Gattusso (MD)
Fabregas (MD)
Nesta (DF)
Casillas (GK)

Mark

#2 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

One thing that always confuses me is how overrated Ashley Cole is and how underrated Wayne Bridge is. Maybe not dream team material in my opinion but you're definitely right in the fact that he's the better left back!

I'd go for:
--------------------Cech (GK)
Cannavaro (RB) Terry (CB) Marquez (CB) Zambrotta (LB)
------------------Gattuso (DM)
Ronaldo (RM) -----Xavi (CM)--------Ronaldinho (LM)
--------------------Kaka' (AM)
---------------------Villa (FW)

Subs:
Buffon (GK)
Puyol (CB, RB)
Essien (CB, DM, CM, AM, RM)
Messi (RM, LM, AM, SS)
Torres (SS, FW)

Big emphasis on my team cutting in and shooting! Drogba doesn't make the bench because I hate him due to his cheating antics several times in each game - Ronaldo and Messi usually limit themselves in that regard!

It's a shame I can't put Naismith or Darren Fletcher in there! tongue.gif

#3 ScoobyDoo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

GK: Artur Boruc
DF: Gary Neville, Kolo Toure, Nemanja Vidic, Gael Clichy
MF: Shunsuke Nakamura, Xabi Alonso, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo
FW: Freddie Kanoute, Dimitar Berbatov

SUBS:
Gianluigi Buffon
Ricardo Carvalho
Cesc Fabregas
Lionel Messi
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink

Brooke: Lucas is the one for me.
Chris: Actually, my name is Chris.

Brooke: Look, whatever you heard, you heard WRONG!
Chris: So you're NOT into me?!
Brooke: NO!

Chris (singing to Brooke): Lucas and Haley aren't back yet, but you can come into the devil's lair, drop your things, have sex with Chris Keller, WHATEVER!

ONE TREE HILL IS <3

#4 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(ScoobyDoo @ May 8 2007, 03:17 PM) View Post

SUBS:
Gianluigi Buffon
Ricardo Carvalho
Cesc Fabregas
Lionel Messi

Boruc - His occasional howlers aside, yes?
Nakamura - laugh.gif On his day he's superb, but he's waaaay too inconsistent
JVoH - An 11 goal return for the biggest team in the SPL? Tony Stokes did better in half the time he was here and fewer opportunities made for him by the players around him!

Green tinted glasses off please! tongue.gif

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(Scott @ May 8 2007, 01:06 PM) View Post
One thing that always confuses me is how overrated Ashley Cole is and how underrated Wayne Bridge is. Maybe not dream team material in my opinion but you're definitely right in the fact that he's the better left back!

Another person who agrees with me! Ashley Cole is so inferior to Wayne Bridge! Look at 2 of Chelsea's best goals this season - 1 goal right at the start of the season against someone (can't remember who!) Bridge galloped up the wing and put in a splendid ball which Drogba did a diving header on, and secondly he put in the cross for Wright-Phillips 2nd against West Ham a few weeks ago. All Cole does is moan to the linesman and ref anytime a decision goes against him!
Mark

#6 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

Ooh fun!

GK: Buffon
DF: Zambrotta (SB), Ferdinand (CB), Puyol (CB), Lahm (SB)
MF: C. Ronaldo (SM), Gattuso (DM), Kaka' (CM/AM), Ronaldinho (SM)
CF: Villa (CF), Henry (CF)

Subs:
Casillias
Vidic
Fabregas
Messi
F. Torres

It's kinda a mix of my favourite players rather than a really effective team, still imagine that as a lineup!

#7 ScoobyDoo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Scott @ May 8 2007, 03:48 PM) View Post
QUOTE(ScoobyDoo @ May 8 2007, 03:17 PM) View Post

SUBS:
Gianluigi Buffon
Ricardo Carvalho
Cesc Fabregas
Lionel Messi

Boruc - His occasional howlers aside, yes?
Nakamura - laugh.gif On his day he's superb, but he's waaaay too inconsistent
JVoH - An 11 goal return for the biggest team in the SPL? Tony Stokes did better in half the time he was here and fewer opportunities made for him by the players around him!

Green tinted glasses off please! tongue.gif

Haha, point taken about Hesselink but in his defence he was injured quite a lot.
Boruc - world class keeper! Carried Celtic many times this season.
Nakamura - different class!!! tongue.gif

Brooke: Lucas is the one for me.
Chris: Actually, my name is Chris.

Brooke: Look, whatever you heard, you heard WRONG!
Chris: So you're NOT into me?!
Brooke: NO!

Chris (singing to Brooke): Lucas and Haley aren't back yet, but you can come into the devil's lair, drop your things, have sex with Chris Keller, WHATEVER!

ONE TREE HILL IS <3

#8 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(ScoobyDoo @ May 11 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post
Haha, point taken about Hesselink but in his defence he was injured quite a lot.
Boruc - world class keeper! Carried Celtic many times this season.
Nakamura - different class!!! tongue.gif

Boruc is a world class keeper on his day but he makes simple mistakes numerous times over the season unlike far better goalies (e.g. Buffon).
Nakamura - He couldn't turn it on in the world cup for Japan and when he does for Celtic it's usually once a month. Other times when the going gets tough the game just totally passes him by. He's a fantastic free kick taker but overall he is nowhere near the top 30 for Midfielders in the world currently.

#9 Mikey

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

Nah, no offence but Chelsea players? Especially Drogba, what a diver! tongue.gif

#10 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Mikey @ May 11 2007, 05:46 PM) View Post
Nah, no offence but Chelsea players? Especially Drogba, what a diver! tongue.gif

Essien has been immense this season in various positions and Terry is the best centre back in the world.

Drogba doesn't get near my chosen team. He'd probably be a far superior and much better player if he stayed on his feet or picked himself up to look for the second ball instead of rolling about like an absolute prick.

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(Mikey @ May 11 2007, 05:46 PM) View Post

Whether you love/loathe Chelsea you can't argue with some of the talent they have - they do have some overrated players and some dross.

Too be honest I think it's fair to say that Drogba has hardly dived at all this season, or at least I can't remember anything as blatant in his previous seasons. I think we shouldn't forget someone called Cristanio Ronaldo who in my opinion was just as bad. Scoring 30 goals in this season was top class, and I also think he is one of few 'all round strikers'. Van Nistelrooy: great player but very much a poacher-type striker. Drogba can score goals, can play lone striker role with his power and pace, and can drift out wide and put a decent ball in.

Essien who was in my team, I think is one of the underrated players this season. Outstanding in midfield, holding, attacking, wide right. Also looked at ease in central defence and right back.

Bridge I included - and maybe he isn't dream team material - but I felt I wanted to make stance about how overrated Ashley Cole is - and how I feel Chelsea would be a better side playing Bridge instead.

I also included Carvalho: who has been terrific all season in the absence of John Terry.
Mark

#12 thedealer07

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

Cech
Lahm
Vidic
Carvalho
Zambrotta

Cesc
Scholes
Essien

Ronaldo
Berbatov
Kaka

#13 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

Cech

Alves
Terry
Carragher
Ramos

C. Ronaldo
Gerrard
Essien

Messi

Villa
Drogba

#14 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

Canizares

Cafu Puyol Maldini Carlos

Ronaldo Gerrard Kaka Ronaldinho

Eto'o Drogba
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#15 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

My dream team is and will always be Clyde Fc. With talent like Roddy Hunter, we will go far.

Perhaps.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#16 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(Lesley @ May 16 2007, 09:14 PM) View Post
My dream team is and will always be Clyde Fc. With talent like Roddy Hunter, we will go far.

Perhaps.

Rumour has it Dougie Imrie does a damn good Didier Drogba impression! laugh.gif Oh, he also has fantastic boots! biggrin.gif

#17 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

It would actually be interesting to have a voted dream team play a match together. You can have a team full of world class players but if they can't play as a team it's no use in my opinion!

And I resent that comment Scott Barr. dry.gif And his boots look silly.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users