Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Critical Essays again! - HSN forum

Critical Essays again!

9 replies to this topic

#1 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

Ok, I know I already posted here about how to remember the quotes for the critical essays, but now I really am panicking.
I really can't write the essays! I can remember most of the quotes, but I've written about 5 essays in the past fortnight and my grades are consistenly dropping unsure.gif . At the start of the year I was getting about 21/25, then in the prelim I got 16, a few weeks ago I got it back up to 18 or 19, but now I'm lucky if I scrape a C.
I'm so scared of failing because of the essays - Close Reading used to be my downfall, but I've managed to pull that up and get high Bs or low As when we do them in class.
So does anyone have any tips whatesoever? I don't care how insignificant they may seem, only I'm getting a bit desperate now! sad.gif
Thanks smile.gif

On second thoughts, it's probably my own fault. I'll ask another teacher who maybe won't be so biased/know about the books we've been studying

Edited by F.J, 02 May 2007 - 05:33 PM.

♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

No one here can see your essays so any comments will be of limited value. It would be best to ask your teacher why your grades have been dropping.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Indie_Cindy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

Yeah i would ask another teachers advice & get a different point of view. The things i do are just basic things you already know so its probably quite patronising posting them. Umm although you could try "Higher English Grade Booster", it really helped me with my essays.

#4 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:44 AM

It would help speaking to a teacher to find out exactly what is wrong with your essays that cause te marks to drop and find out from them what you can do it help improve again. When you read your essays from the start of the year and now do you notice any differences yourself?
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#5 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

Today I look at every essay I've written this year, and I think I might have found out what's been going wrong. Thanks for your advice, it's really helped.
I also got another teacher to mark a couple of my essays and it would seem that my teacher has been taking marks of because she knows the books in detail and noticed every tiny little detail I missed out.
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#6 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:18 AM

Remember- if anyone still needs someone to look at their essays (and have a copy on computer ) then you can email them to one of the English moderators.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#7 englisher

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 8 2007, 11:18 AM) View Post
Remember- if anyone still needs someone to look at their essays (and have a copy on computer ) then you can email them to one of the English moderators.

That would be great, who are the English moderators?

#8 Pete

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

$implĄ_®i˘h, Ally and Discogirl17.

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

Thank you Pete! Yes, I would recommend sending copies to all 3, since we are all at university you might get a speedy reply if you sent it to all 3.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#10 babeasc

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

I find that if I know all the quotes, I can write any essay. I just associate all the key points with the quotes, then remember which quotes go in which types of answer. It seems to be working.

THe one that always gets me is the close reading dry.gif
Beyond it, and us, shines a greater hope and a brighter future
Can't wait 'til the exams are over!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users