Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Investigation - HSN forum

Investigation

2 replies to this topic

#1 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

Well, thats that done now! Took long enough! Im sure a lot of people are in the same place I am now...Project finished and out of the way and now working on revision!

How did you find the projects?
What did you do for your project?
How did you find the write-up?
Any advice you have for next years AH pupils regarding projects?

I'll start this one:

Project overall wasn't too bad. I did the extraction and determination of the composition of limonene and the distillation process itself took approximately 2 hours each time, producing a very small volume of distillate. The write up itself was ok took about the same time as the experimental work itself. As long as you do enough reading and "prep" the write up is fine!

next...

#2 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

How did you find the project?
Long. Very very long. At the beginning it was really enjoyable, but by the end of it I was just desperate to get it over with.

What did you do for your project?
Preparation and analysis of complexes of nickel. I didn't come up with the idea myself, it was recommended by my teacher (recommended on the grounds that I need an A). It wasn't particularly interesting, other people seemed to have far more interesting projects. I think I should have made the effort to think up something that I really wanted to do myself.

How did you find the writeup
Again, very long. Writing the introduction and discussion was alright, but typing out line after line of calculation really tested my patience. It didn't help that I made several mistakes in my first draft calculations aswell.

Any advice you have for next years AH pupils?
Start thinking about what you want to do a couple of months before you are due to start your investigation so you don't end up doing something quite boring like me. Also, when you start, make sure you actually get stuff done. We started quite early on, and I thought that I'd get away with just doing a little every week as we had so long, but this gradually became nothing; and in the last two weeks before it was to be handed in I barely left the lab. If you do a moderate amount every week then you can be doing your writeup when everyone else is rushing to finish their experimental work, and it will be much less stressful.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#3 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

Hi, im doing an investigation into the Enzyme Catalase and as opposed to doing IR spec on it, as im told that it would be very large and complicatied, im doing X-ray crystallography to show the structure of it etc and i can't find any infomation on it, and im also doing a titration of the catalase to make a titration curve and i have no idea how to go about doing this blink.gif any help would be very much appreciated smile.gif thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users