Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Those stoppers.. - HSN forum

Those stoppers..

6 replies to this topic

#1 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

Daft question but does anyone know what those stoppers with a pipe through are called? I used one as an airlock in my investigation and need to know what it's called for the write-up.

#2 ginneswatson

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Apr 14 2007, 11:50 PM) View Post
Daft question but does anyone know what those stoppers with a pipe through are called? I used one as an airlock in my investigation and need to know what it's called for the write-up.

Got me stumped!

Does 'pipe' mean a piece of glass tube? wink.gif

Look at this http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search...ALDRICH/Z304751

It's a Quickfit® air/steam inlet tube. Is this anything like what you used?

#3 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

Pipe does mean piece of glass tube. Long on on side but not the other.
The lower half of the link looks right, if it was made out of rubber. The tubing on the top half stops level with the top of the stopper. Then I put a bigger glass pipe on top. Gas was produced in the reaction so it pushed water up the thin glass tube and was trapped on top of the contraption.
Maybe there isn't a name. It was with a kit and there isn't a picture or a name on the site.
Thanks anyway.

#4 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Apr 15 2007, 05:49 PM) View Post
Pipe does mean piece of glass tube. Long on on side but not the other.
The lower half of the link looks right, if it was made out of rubber. The tubing on the top half stops level with the top of the stopper. Then I put a bigger glass pipe on top. Gas was produced in the reaction so it pushed water up the thin glass tube and was trapped on top of the contraption.
Maybe there isn't a name. It was with a kit and there isn't a picture or a name on the site.
Thanks anyway.

Sounds like some sort of cappilary tube?

#5 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

Not so much.
My teacher doesn't know either, and he's actually seen the thing. I'm just going to make up some sort of name for it.

#6 Pete

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

As far as I know "plugs" or "corks" are generally acceptable terms. My biology teacher calls them "cork stoppers".

#7 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Pete @ Apr 16 2007, 09:25 PM) View Post
As far as I know "plugs" or "corks" are generally acceptable terms. My biology teacher calls them "cork stoppers".

I thought that a corck stopper was a stopper made of cork...Thats all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users