Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Subjunctive - HSN forum

Subjunctive

2 replies to this topic

#1 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

Does anyone know anything about it?
i mean i have this book and it says to use it after things like je crois que
but im sooo confused as i have written je crois que loads of times but never used the subjunctive and its always been marked correct!

#2 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

I wasn't sure about replying in this thread because I'm unsure with my French, but since you haven't had a reply yet I'll give it a go. From what I've gathered, the use of the subjunctive is context dependant. Basically, you use it when the main clause is something subjective, such as expression of opinion. If you have expressed something as being certain then there would be no need to use the subjunctive. It would definately be a good idea to ask your teacher though.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#3 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

yup thats right, it all really depends on the context. I wouldnt really say that crois que takes the subjunctive alot, but if you are expressing possibility, a command, will, desire, the list's alot longer, then it would do. or if you have a hypothetical anticedent then mostly it would take the subjunctive unless it's one of these weird things in french that's really different for no apparant reason rolleyes.gif you should just use the indicative if you're not sure about it. like instead of "je crois que + subjunctive" use " je crois d'etre + whatever it is you think" . what is it that you're wanting to say, or is it just curiosity? hope that helped smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users