Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Jump from higher to advanced higher - HSN forum

Jump from higher to advanced higher

2 replies to this topic

#1 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

Hi i was just wondering if anyone who has done adv higher, or who is doing it could tell me what adv higher is like? and the difficulty difference. I gt an A in the prelim (higher) but i HATE the listening blink.gif and well, i'm not sure about taking adv higher cos i think the listening would be, well, depressing tongue.gif help please? smile.gif

#2 Floob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

In AH the listening is only worth 30 marks (well it was last year, btu my teacher said they were going to change it again)

As far as AH's go french isn't too bad. No investigations or dissertations to do. Just 2 folio pieces (in english).
I thought that there was quite a big jump between higher and AH, but that's because I did no work for higher as I did it a year early and just sat in my 4th year french class while 'working' independantly. I did no homework, a bit of reading a few listening practises and that was about it (still got an A)

I was actually quite good at listening, but the translation I could never do. At AH it's out of 20 and I don't think I ever got more than 9 marks for it

#3 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:12 PM

Hi there
Im doing advanced french at the moment and to be honest im finding it really hard, along with most of the others in the class. i got an A band one for higher and have just got my prelim results back for advanced and got 51%. the course is changing all the time, every year practically, so theres no material to practise from as its all in different formats, expecially for the listening.You cant buy past papers either. Also one big thing is PEGGED MARKS. Ok so you will be familiar with this from the higher course, writing, speaking etc. but for advanced higher its really really unfair. for the speaking which is out of 50 you can get 10 20 30 40 or 50 only. And i mean you're going to have to be totally amazing to get the full marks so thats you lost 10 marks already even though you're quite good. for the discursive essay which is out of 40 this year you can get 40 then 32 then it goes down like that. the folio essays are also pegged. they even peg a 10 mark question in the reading comprehension! its ridiculous.. i mean ok if they have to do this whole pegged thing they can at least make the jumps a bit smaller. because if you think about it you're going to have to be pretty amazing to get the top mark, i think its one of those things they rarely give out, you will have seen it in other subjects, higher english for example. and to be very good and not excelled you automatically lose 8 marks for the essay. this means that you can be really good at everything (just not one of those genius people who gets 100% in everything) and not even get an A. this is a major thing really, and i was never made aware of it before i chose the subject. If i had known what this course was like i never would have done it, as much as i enjoy learning the french language. because i really do like french, its just the course is so silly. argggh.
ohwell sorry for that rant but there you go
and yes to answer you're question i also found the jump quite big, despite working in higher. if you think higher listening is hard wait till you get to the advanced..higher will seem a doddle.
lynsey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users