Scottish Elections '07

80 replies to this topic

Poll: 07 Election (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Which party will you / would you vote for?

1. Labour (7 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. SNP (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

3. Conservatives (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

4. Lib. Dem (8 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

5. BNP (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Green Party (3 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

7. SSP (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

8. Independent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Monster raving loony party O: (3 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

10. Other (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

SNP pulling away from Labour with the seats from the Lothians region. SSP results terrible nationwide.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#62 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

The Scottish National Party are the single biggest party in the Scottish Parliament, beating Labour by one seat.

#63 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:01 PM

Yay!

...Most of the turnout figures here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/vote...regions_map.stm see are in the 20s, not around 50. Strange.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#64 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

Does this mean Alex Salmond is our First Minister? I really don't understand how it works.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#65 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

He now needs a coalition to get over 50% of the seats I'd guess?

#66 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, SNP only has 36% of the seats. Coalition doesn't seem likely as a three party coalition would be necessary and all the parties have said they won't form a coalition with the SNP. A Labour-Tory-LD coalition seems unlikely, and a less stable minority government more likely, as far as I can see.

#67 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

Maybe someone has an updated source for the results but I calculated the results by manually adding to the results on the BBC Scottish Elections page table which has stopped updating with 3 regional results remaining. Barring any error by me it seems the results are as follows:

SNP 47
LAB 46
CON 17
LD 16
Green 2 (Patrick Harvie and Robin Harper)
IND 1 (Margo MacDonald)

#68 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, that's the right results. So what happens exactly now? Do the SNP get "first pick" for a minority government or what?

#69 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Lesley @ May 4 2007, 06:02 PM) View Post
Does this mean Alex Salmond is our First Minister? I really don't understand how it works.

Apparently all the MSPs now vote for who they want to be first minister and the person with the most votes wins. Maybe there will be tactical voting amongst the unionist party MSPs for unionist Jack McConnell...

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ May 4 2007)

SNP have a minority government unless the other parties can come up with a coalition which holds a majority. However, seen as that would require 65 seats the 2nd, 3rd and 4th biggest parties (at least) would ALL have to get to hold a majority. Majority government is technically possible with the SNP in there but all the parties that can give them that majority have said they ain't up for a referendum on independence! Perhaps one or more parties will break their promise!

I think Solidarity, the SLP and the SSP need to get together now, don't you?!

#70 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 4 2007, 06:22 PM) View Post
I think Solidarity, the SLP and the SSP need to get together now, don't you?!

I certainly do, the splintering of the leftist vote is horrendous. Add to that the way that the SNP have taken votes from the leftist parties (including the Greens) and its been a disasterous night for the left in Scotland.

#71 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hopefully Alex Salmond will acknowledge the importance of the leftist vote for his party that would have gone to parties such as the SSP if they were fielding FPTP candidates, but actually went to the SNP and was crucial so they could pip Labour.

#72 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

Seriously? Bloody hell. That's a turn up for the books. I always thought the SNPs were a bit of a kid-on party to be honest. That just shows me.

#73 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

By my count:
SNP: 633,401 votes
LAB: 595,415 votes

#74 Alz

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 4 2007, 07:21 PM) View Post
By my count:
SNP: 633,401 votes
LAB: 595,415 votes

I saw we screw the counting machines next election and just get you to do it, Bred. biggrin.gif

#75 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

Maybe the next time we will have 'progressed' to guessing the election results instead of counting them at all.

SNP, Lib Dem and the two Green candidates would have just enough seats together (65/129) to form a majority coalition government. That would be pretty good. Still the problem of the independence referendum though.

#76 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

I'm pretty much doing the assume it's a sphere here but.

I averaged the turnout rate since I can't find it elsewhere
35% turnout + 2% spoilt = 37% of people voted.
So out of the 37% of people who voted, just over 5% of the votes were spoilt.

#77 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ May 3 2007, 09:37 AM) View Post
The only one around here that I've noticed to having made a big promise is the SNPs. They're wanting to save our local hospital. And people are going to vote for them because of that. But it isn't going to happen. It's too far on now for them to do that. And I know I probably should go support them because I use the hospital a lot, but I'd also be voting for independant Scotland and I don't want to do that.

So, as you can see, I don't know who to vote for.

Ah, you summed up the point I was going to make exactely Lindsay! The decision to downgrade Monklands A&E was a big and very unpopular one. I fail to see any logical reason why considering that the other 2 hospitals in the area clearly can't cope with the demand.

But again, I can't vope SNP, since they stand for independance and I'm not for it! I don't really like Salmond either, he just seems arrogant and smug to me.
Mark

#78 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:35 AM

the man oozes arrogance. What i dont like is that the SNP candidates in your area started labelling themselves fighting for monklands hospital and all this nonsense. Firstly its just sickening just how low a move that is and i dont understand why its allowed. My most important point is exactly how are they going to save monklands and if they do it will wreck all current work within NHS and all current plans in place for the NHS. All i see is chaoes for the next few years

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#79 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

In a way, I can understand why they shut the A&E at Monklands in the first place. It was seriously understaffed. They're still going to be running a sort of A&E for minor injuries, run by nurses. But serious problems, such a heart attacks and strokes, are going to have to go to Wishaw. Which means ambulance drivers are going to be overworked, an there'll probably be more deaths by the time people actually get to hospital.

They picked a good angle round here though. Labour stil got in, but it was close. I just don't see them being able to save it though, and it's a big promise to make.

#80 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

According to the BBC News website, Allan Wilson, the defeated Labour MSP in Cunningham North (where I voted), may be considering a legal challenge to the outcome of the vote.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users