Should PE be compulsory

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Physical Education be compulsory in Scottish Schools? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Physical Education be compulsory in Scottish Schools?

1. No - Never (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

2. No - should be optional (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Yes - Only until 4th year (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

4. Yes - only until 4th year and then optional (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

5. Yes - Only until 5th year (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

6. Yes - always (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 01 September 2004 - 03:02 PM

Hey, I think PE should be compulsory until 4th year and then optional.

By 4th yr, we all know that keeping fit is an important factor in life.

Doin PE 1 period a week in 5ht and 6th yr isnt goin to improve our fitness and its not required to show the importance of keepin fit coz we already know its importance -so it should be optional to those who WANT to do it

Any1 else feel strongly bout this topic?

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#2 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:05 PM

I hated PE.

It made me feel like an idiot because I'm not sporty in the slightest. I can't do a handstand, I can't catch a ball, and I was always one of the last people on the bench when it came to picking teams.

It was humiliating. And I just didn't enjoy it.

We only had to do PE up till 4th year. All the same I think it should be optional.

And now someone's going to tell me that they weren't good at maths and found it humiliating, but seriously, you get more exercise walking to and from school than you do wandering about a gym hall for a period.

#3 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:14 PM

i voted compulsory til 4th year. I do think it's important that we get some form or exercise and having those dreaded two periods a week is the only way unsporty slobs like me to move themself laugh.gif I'm not sure what all your PE departments are like but in mine i felt it was a case of " if your not good then f*** off!"Maybe thats a bit harsh - and a bit of jealousy cause i'm crappy at sports - but it sure felt like that sometimes.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#4 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:18 PM

I was pretty crap at PE but it became fun when I got put in a class with my friends, we just mucked about! At my school PE is compulsory until S6! Not for me though : my timetable means that I can't do it, hehe.

It should be compulsory until S4 I think but they really should try and make it more enjoyable for people, then we'd all be more keen on keeping fit.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#5 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:56 PM

PE is compulsory at my school until 4th year and i couldnt wait to get rid of it!

I hated it! However, this is going to sound stupid but i do think PE should be compulsory till S4. I get loads of exercise out of school and many people dont so i think that it is important to keep fit and healthy! biggrin.gif

#6 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

i think its a difficult one because far too many people are sickenly over weight in their teenage years and need to have even a slightest bit. However, in PE classes there tends to be too many testorone fuelled NED showing off to their girlfriends or pals and generally causing problems
Like me who was assulted in a PE class when the teacher went to get something. So i would hate to still be doing PE simply because of the bad organisation and the fact my level of abilty at team games is low (only liked to the fitness units with cross-country, circuit training, weights etc)

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#7 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Sep 1 2004, 07:05 PM)
I hated PE.

It made me feel like an idiot because I'm not sporty in the slightest.  I can't do a handstand, I can't catch a ball, and I was always one of the last people on the bench when it came to picking teams.

It was humiliating.  And I just didn't enjoy it.

View Post

Sounds just like me.
However in some ways I do miss it now. A bunch of us non-sporty people were talking about it yesterday and thinking how it kept us fit. PE could be improved if we actually got to pick what we did. Basketball, hockey and badminton would have been great. But cross country, swimming and gymnastics? "Mum can I have a note?"

Was quite proud that I lasted five minutes on the cross country course first years start on before I had an asthma attack. Got put down to the bottom course, and stayed there for four years cool.gif

#8 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:19 PM

I remember doin the bleep test, and i dont 4 runs, and couldnt go on....it was my asthma, honestly!?

In 5th year, all I done was rite letters for the whole year and the teacher soon cot on 2 wat I was doin, so he wasnt even bothereing to look at the letters at the end of the year, got me outta pe tho!

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#9 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:29 PM

jus keep the system the way it is, but there probably should be more of it in the junior school - maybe an extra period or two

#10 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 12:39 PM

keep wot system as it is? each skool has its own personal system, eg some have pe til 6th year, others only until 4th year

Wot system do you personally agree with?

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users