Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
really difficult circles question - HSN forum

really difficult circles question

1 reply to this topic

#1 craig1e

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

I need help with this really difficult homework question

I have circle with centre (A,B) and tangents to the circle with the line Y = X and the X axis

I have to prove that a = (1 + root 2)B

My teacher says it is a very hard question and I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help me?

#2 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:34 PM

That is a tough question!

Here's a clue not an answer! (It will be much more satisfying for you of you can crack it yourself!)

Work out the angle between your tangents and hence its exact value, a simple diagram should do it - you may have one from the question.

Add a line from the origin to (a,b), it will bisect the angle between the tangents and create two congruent right-angled triangles. You need to work with half the angle between the tangents so need a double angle formula for tan! I'm going to leave you to find that bit out for yourself!!! biggrin.gif

If you can get this far then you almost have it cracked!

Substitute your double angle and a bit of surd work will prove that a = (1 + sqrt.gif 2)b

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users