Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
H. Music - HSN forum

H. Music

4 replies to this topic

#1 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

What did you all base your composition upon?

wub.gif
~*~*~Fairy Dust~*~*~

♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#2 Pete

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:21 AM

In all honesty, I didn't base them on anything: the first one was randomly spewing notes onto a page and hoping for the best, and the second was a tone row invention (i.e., randomly spewing notes onto a page in a specific order and hoping for the best tongue.gif), although we were to create a storyboard to go with that. Mine was a plane flying through the air and encountering some turbulence. Someone else in the class had exactly the same idea, which was weird blink.gif

#3 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:19 AM

Basically I just sat with the guitar and came up with some chord sequences... then sat at the piano and plonked around until I found something that could go over the chords....then after much doddling I arranged the whole thing for a string quartet on Sibelius (which, if oyu havent got - GET. *cough* ).

My composition had five to seven parts, started of with simple melodic stuff which ended up being a full scale jig....which evolved into a hymn like thing at the end.

Just have fun with it!! Composition was my favourite part of Higher Music biggrin.gif

#4 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

I like the spewing notes onto a page idea. I did that over and over and over until what I had at the start of the year was nothing like the finished product. I just put in elements of all styles of music I like so there was bluesy guitar bits, flamenco-esque parts, baroque sounding piano sections, a section in the phyrgian mode with a really middle-eastern sound to it etc.

Just have fun with it!

And yeah, get Sibelius. It's quality. I've now lost my CD. =(

#5 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

i've got sibellius already! but thanks anyway!
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users