Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher ---> Int 2 maths - HSN forum

Higher ---> Int 2 maths

12 replies to this topic

#1 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

i failed my highe rmaths prelim (miserably) and I've decided to sit the Int. 2 instead so that I can get more UCAS points, seeing as what I want to do doesn't require higher maths. Is anyone else in the same situation? dry.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#2 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

If you are guaranteed a D at Higher, you might as well attempt the Higher, as you may get a C, and thus more UCAS points

#3 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

Be careful. Most courses and uni's don't work in UCAS points yet, but still in plain old highers.

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

Dundee is the only one that I know of TBH

#5 Princess V

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Listening to music and general studying!

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

i failed my higher human biology but unfortunately there is no int2 so i have to remain at the level that i am at already. I can't afford to drop the subject completely because i have applied to go to uni after 5th year and i need all the highers i can get (that's 5)

#6 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:44 PM

Stick at it. If you do enough past papers, you will notice a similar trend in every single papers, practice the recurrent questions that always come up, SQA makes it very helpful for people to at least get a C pass.

#7 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(verticalforce @ Mar 1 2007, 12:44 PM) View Post
Stick at it. If you do enough past papers, you will notice a similar trend in every single papers, practice the recurrent questions that always come up, SQA makes it very helpful for people to at least get a C pass.

And give us a shout if you need some extra help smile.gif

#8 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

thanks. but the thing is, beacuse I concentrated on maths so much, my other subjects really didn't go as well as they should have. plus, the courses i'm planning on applying for all say that int.2 maths is more than what should be achieved. but yeah, i guess the ucas points don't really count yet
Facebook
Bebo

#9 Princess V

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Listening to music and general studying!

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

I'm sure when you get to the real exam they'll go okay cos all my prelims were in one week and i concentrated so hard on one subject all my other subjects seem to fail me so don't worry i'm in the same boat as you!!

Work as hard as you can in class, revise in the evening and when the exams come round the corner it will be worth it!!

#10 Plug in Baby

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Floorball, Football, Music, Drawing, Technology

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(Fiona Jane @ Feb 28 2007, 10:00 PM) View Post
i failed my highe rmaths prelim (miserably) and I've decided to sit the Int. 2 instead so that I can get more UCAS points, seeing as what I want to do doesn't require higher maths. Is anyone else in the same situation? dry.gif

I'm doing that aswell (I got 35/128 in my prelim ph34r.gif ). Higher is just too confusing at the moment.
Next year I should fly through it as that is what others in 6th have done; along with chants of "Easy! Easy!" mad.gif
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

#11 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE(Plug in Baby @ Mar 24 2007, 03:18 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Fiona Jane @ Feb 28 2007, 10:00 PM) View Post

I'm doing that aswell (I got 35/128 in my prelim ph34r.gif ). Higher is just too confusing at the moment.
Next year I should fly through it as that is what others in 6th have done; along with chants of "Easy! Easy!" mad.gif

tbh, I have no intention of sitting higher maths next year. My parents tried to tell me that it 'would come back to hanut me', but with all the research I've done on Entry Requirements, I just don't see the point in effectvely wasting another year trying to make my brain understand graphs!
Facebook
Bebo

#12 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(F.J @ Apr 6 2007, 10:55 AM) View Post
tbh, I have no intention of sitting higher maths next year. My parents tried to tell me that it 'would come back to hanut me', but with all the research I've done on Entry Requirements, I just don't see the point in effectvely wasting another year trying to make my brain understand graphs!

It's probably wise to stick to Int2 if it means you'll do better in your other subjects. Int2 maths is quite straightforward so if you go into that exam with confidence then your other subjects will benefit.

You could always change your mind and pick up Higher in 6th year, but it's not essential for everyone to have higher maths.
And of course you could always pick it up at a later stage in life if you decide you do need it. Loads of colleges do evening classes so it's not the end of the world if you make "the wrong decision". So don't stress about it cool.gif

#13 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

I was in the same situation last year i got 34% in my prelim but decided to stick at it and studied a lot during my easter break and eventually came out with a C. I was disappointed with this and am now doing maths again this year - dont know why lol - but i am doing well and on target for an A - hopefully.

So my advice just stick at it and study - the first 5-6 questions in the paper are c-level so you should try to focus on these and any other ones you answer a bonus - thats not saying you do not attempt the other questions!

Good luck and i hope you do well!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users