Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Law at Glassgow or Strathclyde. - HSN forum

Law at Glassgow or Strathclyde.

17 replies to this topic

#1 xXxHeatherxXx

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

I've been accepted for law at Glasgow, Strathclyde and Glasgow Caledonian and I'm torn between Strathclyde and Glasgow. I just wanted a few honest opinions as to what would be the best option, and hopefully some advice from people who are already studying law at either of them!
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

#2 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

If I was going for law, i'd be accepting Glasgow

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

strathclyde all day long for me

CC100 is on that course as it happens. From what i hear Glasgow university law course isnt much fun there was a huge drop out rate in first years this year apparently. Have heard people on the train moaning about law at Glasgow aswell.

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(will_789 @ Feb 26 2007, 04:57 PM) View Post
If I was going for law, i'd be accepting Glasgow

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 26 2007, 07:19 PM) View Post
strathclyde all day long for me

I'd give the same advice for any course. Go along to the departmental open days, have a look around, chat to the staff and other students if they are around. They are both good universities and different people like different places. Sometimes it's as simple as whether they want to be out in the West End or if they prefer the city centre.
Once you've been to both univeristies, checked out the full campus etc, then you will have a good "feel" for the place. Go where you think you will be happy and enjoy your time at university.
If you are still stuck then check out the unions and go wherever you think would be most fun cool.gif

#5 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

Ive got a friend who is in a similar position and after talking to lawyers has opted for glasgow. Apparently theres a kind of snobbery in the career and having a degree from Glasgow will stand you in better stead.

#6 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

there is a lot of snobbery in law especially from Glasgow uni lecturers wink.gif infact when i went to there open day i felt the whole place was stinking of snobbery and as the more experienced members of this board will tell that is saying something!

I think you need to really see for yourself where you think you will be happiest but advice from people like Lindsay should be valuable since she was at Glasgow last year and is at Strathclyde this year. Donna is however doing the opposite so there is two people you can ask for a start

#7 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

My experience at the open days for both unis made my mind up for me.
Glasgow: boring guy in tweed suit looking at me like I was a bit of dirt from his shoe. A real sense of: "we are law students and we're soooo much better than everyone else."
Strathclyde: friendly staff and really grounded students willing to help you out and share their experience at law school with you.

I know that I'm biased, but I think my law school is fab (Strathclyde if you hadn't guessed!)!! The staff are really accessible and I understand at Glasgow they're harder to get hold of than the Queen. We also have the "Law Clinic", which is the only one in Scotland. It's a great asset to the uni because it lets you help people out, whilst you're getting hands on experience of legal practice before you hit the diploma. (See http://www.law.strat.../law_clinic.htm)
What Micheal says may well be right, but at the end of the day, job offers should come down to academic merit and not what uni you went to. There's no way you should pander to snobbery when deciding where you'll be happiest studying for at least 3 years. And if everybody's so against Strathclyde (which happens to be one of the top 10 law schools in the UK), why are Paul McBryde, Tony Kelly and the Lord Advocate all Strathy graduates?!
So yeh, that's my case m'lord!
Any qs PM me!
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

#8 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:03 AM

I recall someone on HSN who'd switched from Glasgow law to Strathy citing the same reasons. Can't remember who though.

#9 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:10 PM

I HAVE THE BEST ADVICE EVER.

Go to whatever uni you prefer. It's not just about the course, it's about other facilities provided, the people, the union etcetc. Choosing Law at Glasgow or Strathclyde is 6 and half a dozen if you ask me.

Everyone's opinion is different. CC100 seems to like Law at Strathclyde, whereas my friend (who dropped out) hated it. I hated law at Glasgow, but loads of other people love it.

As a university, I much prefer strathclyde. But, hey, everyone's bias.

SINGH 4 PRESIDENT!! tongue.gif

user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#10 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

When you're choosing which uni to go to don't go by what other people think. Everyone has their own opinion and their opinion can depend on how they're feeling in their course at the moment... like if you hear people from Glasgow uni moaning about it it could just be because they have a lot of assignments. Also don't bother much about the better chance of a job after a degree at Glasgow. Most employers will be more interested in the skills you have to offer than which uni you went to! There is some snobbery, but it's not something to worry about just now.

At the end of the day go by the open days and if there are any visitors days go and ask questions. See if you can see yourself there or not. And if you do decide it's not for you, dropping out and starting again somewhere else is never usually a problem!

The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#11 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(Lesley @ Feb 27 2007, 04:10 PM) View Post
SINGH 4 PRESIDENT!! tongue.gif

eh no, he's an arts & social sciences person! we want scientists running the union - we get forgotten about, in fact, there's only one candidate thats even bothered to come near any of our lectures!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#12 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

The only person that has came to my lectures has been Singh and his band of Forsyth, Ursula and West. That is enough for me biggrin.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#13 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

yeh i cant stand Singh i prefer the other one. The wide one who looks so like a business student he probably is

#14 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

I feel bad.

I wish I voted for the Allison, he is a nice bloke. He seemed much more passionate than Gurjit. Too late!

user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#15 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Lesley @ Feb 27 2007, 06:45 PM) View Post
The only person that has came to my lectures has been Singh and his band of Forsyth, Ursula and West. That is enough for me biggrin.gif

The other presidential candidate shook my hand! And asked me my name.

So naturally I said, "Betty!"

Errr. Well, I was at Glasgow last year and I hated it with a burning passion. It was so snobby it was unreal. However, I was doing Arts. And the Arts faculty and Glasgow is a bit on the snobby side. Mainly because it's over-run by folk who couldn't get into Oxford or Cambridge or St Andrew's. My grandpa's friend's granddaughter also recently dropped out of Glasgow, she was doing languages.

I'm at Strathclyde now and I think it's super fun.

My experience last year was also probably affected by the fact that I was really ill.

My advice is to go check out the unis, find out as much about the course as you can and so what you feel is right. It doesn't matter if one uni has a better reputation than the other, if you're not going to enjoy it, it isn't worth the grief.

#16 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Mar 8 2007, 01:38 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Lesley @ Feb 27 2007, 06:45 PM) View Post

The other presidential candidate shook my hand! And asked me my name.

So naturally I said, "Betty!"

Errr. Well, I was at Glasgow last year and I hated it with a burning passion. It was so snobby it was unreal. However, I was doing Arts. And the Arts faculty and Glasgow is a bit on the snobby side. Mainly because it's over-run by folk who couldn't get into Oxford or Cambridge or St Andrew's. My grandpa's friend's granddaughter also recently dropped out of Glasgow, she was doing languages.

I'm at Strathclyde now and I think it's super fun.

My experience last year was also probably affected by the fact that I was really ill.

My advice is to go check out the unis, find out as much about the course as you can and so what you feel is right. It doesn't matter if one uni has a better reputation than the other, if you're not going to enjoy it, it isn't worth the grief.

I think someone should check their grammar, =P

But Lindsay is quite right, check out all the unis first.

#17 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

Dunno what you're talking about John, my grammar is wonderful. I am an English student happy.gif

#18 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Mar 8 2007, 08:33 PM) View Post
Dunno what you're talking about John, my grammar is wonderful. I am an English student happy.gif

Damn you and your admin privileges dry.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users