Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Critical Essays - HSN forum

Critical Essays

12 replies to this topic

#1 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

Does anyone have any tips on memorising the quotes for the exam...no matter what I try I can't remember half of them, especially the ones that are most relevant!
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#2 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

Try mnemonics, they always work for me. Like a short mnemonic per quote if its long. And then you just have to remember the mnemonics, which you could create another mnemonic for if they're too difficult. Rinse and repeat if necessary. But yeah, seriously, they did work for me. Hope that helps.

#3 Princess V

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Listening to music and general studying!

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hi,

What worked for me was saying them over and over again. If you say them out loud rather than in your head it kinda works (even thought you look a tad bit silly)

#4 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

I have plenty of tips:

1. Play act the quote at home- even its from a poem or literature (you'll remember it)
or
2. Write them down loads of times in a row
or
3. Dont remember (if they are long) them just remember the start, the end and key bits then put .... in the middle
or
4. Create a story e.g. "False face must hide what the false heart doth know" (Macbeth) and "Sleep no more! Macbeth does murder sleep! (imaginary voice to Macbeth) could be related to say a guy cheated on his wife and has to hide it. Obviously this isnt what actually happens in the play but you will remember the quotes!

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#5 Amy Renee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Shopping, sleeping, day-dreaming, boys &amp; partyinggg!

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

My friend got an A in Higher English by making the quotes into your favourite song. She used a Motion City Soundtrack one, and it sure worked for her.

is romance on the cards,
or will i present another faulty hand?

#6 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

For the critical essays, are they supposed to be in the present tense or in the past tense?
Like would you say "We've had this date from the beginning" Stanley makes this quotation and rapes Blanche,

OR

"We've had this date from the beginning" Stanley stated this quotation and then afterwards raped Blanche

"Do not be frightened of death; it is life that causes pain"

#7 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(yannica @ Mar 16 2007, 10:08 PM) View Post
For the critical essays, are they supposed to be in the present tense or in the past tense?
Like would you say "We've had this date from the beginning" Stanley makes this quotation and rapes Blanche,

OR

"We've had this date from the beginning" Stanley stated this quotation and then afterwards raped Blanche

I think it's meant to be present, well, that's how we've been taught to do it anyway!
Facebook
Bebo

#8 Floob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

Remembering quotes, hmm I'm not too good at it. I remember lots from all the texts we've studied, just not relevant ones.
I remember things like
"Hillo ho ho my lord"
"O, I am slain"
"take you me for a sponge my lord?"
"not where he eats but where a is eaten"
"she tightened her torc on him
and opened her fen
those dark juices working" - uhmm yeah its supposed to be about this body that is 'engulfed' by a bog (don't think I'll be using it)

#9 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(Floob @ Mar 20 2007, 08:18 PM) View Post
Remembering quotes, hmm I'm not too good at it. I remember lots from all the texts we've studied, just not relevant ones.
I remember things like
"Hillo ho ho my lord"
"O, I am slain"
"take you me for a sponge my lord?"
"not where he eats but where a is eaten"
"she tightened her torc on him
and opened her fen
those dark juices working" - uhmm yeah its supposed to be about this body that is 'engulfed' by a bog (don't think I'll be using it)

And then there's Macbeth's
'I shall draw my naked weapon'

That made me laugh for so long, and looking back it's not even that funny biggrin.gif

Facebook
Bebo

#10 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

Hmm I remember quotes usually by remembering the gist of it, and then just putting in the rest as I like.. so long as the meanings clear, I think you'll be alright, at least I got marks in my essays for making up quotes!!

"Do not be frightened of death; it is life that causes pain"

#11 x_Jo_x

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

What i figured out was that if i had lots of short quotes, i could remember them better than having to remember big long quotes. Oh and i memorised them in order of events as well

#12 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:MSN,Music,TV

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

When i did Romeo and Juliet my English teacher gave us a list of key scenes from the play. I wrote out quotes from each scene and i memorised them. Maybe that isn't the best method but it could certainly change a C to a B maybe.

#13 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

I only managed to get them into my head by making a list and readig them on the bus the morning before the exam, when my adrenilin had kicked in. It worked, I can still remember a few, but it might not be the best plan. But if you do get to the night before the exam and still can't remember a single one, don't worry, it is possible to learn them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users