Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Conjectures - HSN forum

Conjectures

3 replies to this topic

#1 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:10 PM

Right this will probably be in my nab and i dont have a clue what the question is asking me to do and what numbers I am suppoesed to use.

Can someone help me and take me through how im meant to answer it.

Thanks

Disprove the conjecture:
bc is divisible by a => either b is divisible by a or c is divisible by a.
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#2 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(AM4R @ Feb 17 2007, 05:10 PM) View Post
Right this will probably be in my nab and i dont have a clue what the question is asking me to do and what numbers I am suppoesed to use.

Can someone help me and take me through how im meant to answer it.

Thanks

Disprove the conjecture:
bc is divisible by a => either b is divisible by a or c is divisible by a.
Well all this statement in the question reall is "suppose we had two numbers and multiplied them together and the product was divisible by some number a; it follows that one of the two numbers we multiplied together must be divisible by a". You're told to disprove this, so you've got to show it to be false.

Let a=4,b=2,c=2. Put these into the statement giving:

"2*2 is divisible by 4 => either 2 is divisible by 4 or 2 is divisible by 4"

Now obviously 2*2=4, which is divisible by 4, but 2 on it's own isn't. Thus the statement above is pish so you can see that the statement isn't true.

For disproofs a counter-example is always more than enough. Don't go looking for anything fancy, there will be a straightforward counter-example.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#3 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

thanks ad, easy as that smile.gif
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#4 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:15 PM

Note that the reason this disproved the statement is that it implicity said that "(For all numbers a,b, and c,) bc is divisible by a => either b is divisible by a or c is divisible by a."

If the statement had said "There are numbers a,b, and c such that bc is divisible by a => either b is divisible by a or c is divisible by a", then this would be true, e.g. a=3, b=6, c=5.

You can only use a "counterexample" (as ad absurdum did) to disprove a conjecture which is about all "somethings". In particular, finding a counterexample is not enough to disprove my statement above, since it doesn't say "for all".

I wish there was more stuff like this in AH maths. smile.gif

(By the way, the statement is true if you insist that a is prime. Indeed you can take this as a definition of what it means to be prime, as in the subject of Ring Theory).
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users