Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
This year's paper - HSN forum

This year's paper

14 replies to this topic

#1 BloodBrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

Will it be much toned down from last year's, I heard it was ghastly and from what I saw of it in Borders bookshop it wasn't too pleasant (but I had only covered U1 at this point). Im unsure about which uni to go to but St. Andrews, the only conditional, requires BB at AH so I don't want my chances jeporadised by an evil paper. With Physics the difficulty level seemed to stay the same over the years, although here and there there is difficult parts.

#2 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

The setters of the AH Maths exam seemed to have an off year - it was a bad exam. It assessed parts of the course too heavily and others too lightly. As a result, the pass mark for an A was lowered to 63%, so it's all relative (Principal Assessor's Report).

I really doubt this will happen again this year, there were lots of complaints about the 2006 paper and I'm sure they won't want that for a second year in a row.

The main thing is that it really doesn't matter how hard or easy the paper is - all that matters is how well you do compared to most other candidates.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#3 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

I can see what Steve means about some parts being examined too heavily, I've never seen so many \frac{dy}{dx}'s and \int's before. Although I didn't think it was that much more difficult than the other papers (except the last two questions, which were both rather nasty in my opinion).
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#4 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Don't they make the papers two years in advance incase theres a leak and they need an emergancy backup paper? So I don't know if the complaints would make too much difference for this year, unless it's changed a bit.

#5 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:58 AM

That is true, but they can still accommodate for the complaints, as they would have made 2 this year which they can use.

#6 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:29 PM

It's strange. I find that some papers have loads and loads of calculus, but others are more problem-solving, mind-bending questions. I did my rpelim yesterday and it was pretty simple I though.

#7 BloodBrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:46 AM

WOW KUDOS ON THE CONDITIONAL FROM OXFORD!!!! biggrin.gif

My transcribing teacher for Maths informed me that my prelim was ok... but too many careless mistakes. Stuff like, in 2nd order differential equations, you should use Ke^nx with n= to the one in the original exponetial function. I neglected to use ke^-x and that will have cost me a couple marks. Also I got fractions on top of the partial fractions... didnt factorise the fraction correctly. Give me advice please (how does this simplify)-

x-4/(x^3 +2x)

even the guy who probably failed it and has left the class did that one fine. Although I did good in graph sketching and probably most of the others. Im not banking on an A any more unless the boundaries are seriously reduced. I think I will still manage a B though. Im most likely getting B in Physics, meaning I can maintain my St. Andrews offer if I choose to take it. I got an A in crash course computing though, which was pretty good.

I aim for AAA in the subjects in may, and if I consolidate my reading (which I was doing LOADS of) with examples and not just looking at them, working on weaker spots and catching careless errors and throttling them before they ruin the paper, I can do that target. Any more advice having read this paragraph, apart from the rest you will have given (I hope)?

#8 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:15 PM

blodBrother - I'm a bit confused. Is this meant to be a Higher English reply?! huh.gif huh.gif

#9 BloodBrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

... No. I don't understand what I'm meant to infer by that. Is it the length of what I said or the content that made you make that remark? Regardless, please clarify exactly what you mean.

And aren't you glad that someone congratulated you on getting an offer from perhaps the most famous and prestigious English university ever?

#10 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(BloodBrother @ Feb 7 2007, 10:37 PM) View Post
most famous and prestigious filthy Cowley scum.

Much better. wink.gif

#11 BloodBrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

heh, what ever floats your boat.

But still how was it an english essay?

#12 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Feb 8 2007, 07:23 AM) View Post
QUOTE(BloodBrother @ Feb 7 2007, 10:37 PM) View Post
most famous and prestigious filthy Cowley scum.

Much better. wink.gif
If only I could rep you good sir cool.gif
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#13 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(BloodBrother @ Feb 7 2007, 11:46 AM) View Post
WOW KUDOS ON THE CONDITIONAL FROM OXFORD!!!! biggrin.gif

My transcribing teacher for Maths informed me that my prelim was ok... but too many careless mistakes. Stuff like, in 2nd order differential equations, you should use Ke^nx with n= to the one in the original exponetial function. I neglected to use ke^-x and that will have cost me a couple marks. Also I got fractions on top of the partial fractions... didnt factorise the fraction correctly. Give me advice please (how does this simplify)-

x-4/(x^3 +2x)

even the guy who probably failed it and has left the class did that one fine. Although I did good in graph sketching and probably most of the others. Im not banking on an A any more unless the boundaries are seriously reduced. I think I will still manage a B though. Im most likely getting B in Physics, meaning I can maintain my St. Andrews offer if I choose to take it. I got an A in crash course computing though, which was pretty good.

I aim for AAA in the subjects in may, and if I consolidate my reading (which I was doing LOADS of) with examples and not just looking at them, working on weaker spots and catching careless errors and throttling them before they ruin the paper, I can do that target. Any more advice having read this paragraph, apart from the rest you will have given (I hope)?

Your plan sounds good. For maths you NEED to do examples. If you can manage a B with not many examples, you should, with a bit of work, be capable of an A.

#14 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:13 PM

if I consolidate my reading (which I was doing LOADS of) with examples and not just looking at them, working on weaker spots and catching careless errors and throttling them before they ruin the paper, I can do that target. Any more advice having read this paragraph, apart from the rest you will have given (I hope)?

Sorry, I mistakenly linked this with a reply I made in the Eglish forum. I could have sworn it was you who posted it - sorry! I made a mistake ohmy.gif

Thanks very much for the congrats. Sorry, I can't take compliments... rolleyes.gif

dfx: Are you not an Oxonian - I thought you were... I must again be mistaken; you are from the "other place".... tongue.gif

#15 BloodBrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

Oxonian? If that means "are you from Oxford" then no, no way. Is that what you meant? huh.gif

Thanks for the advice everyone, really helpful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users