Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher Prelims - HSN forum

Higher Prelims

58 replies to this topic

#1 cragool

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:45 PM

Hey people, prelim time agen and i just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the german higher writing things in the reading and listening?? Anybody resitting higher got any tips?? Thanx , cragool laugh.gif

#2 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:MSN,Music,TV

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

Hey. German prelim went well for me. Got 47/75 for the prelim and i just got full marks in the speaking test so i have 25 marks out of 100 already for the final exam.

#3 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

that's really good well done biggrin.gif i did my speaking and completely messed up the first one and nearly fainted hahahha. but did it a second time and it was a lot better. I'm really bad at the listening though... i failed my prelim listening, was saved by the writing in it though.

can't remember what i got for the prelim all together though...

"Do not be frightened of death; it is life that causes pain"

#4 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

Well done to you too. The speaking is such a huge thing as it gives u a good start on your marks for the final exam. The listening paper i know what you mean can be tough but there are usually a lot of marks which are pretty easy to get. It just really depends on how evil the SQA want to be to us this year lol

#5 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:35 AM

Yeaah.. it was pretty funny for the prelim everyone came out of it at different times, some left early and my german teacher was outside the class and said that everyone looked depressed.
Let's hope the SQA will soften up a bit.

#6 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

Hopefully they will although the SQA can never be trusted.

#7 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

haha that's true i suppose. how are you revising for the german exam?

#8 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

A few months ago i wrote out phrases for each topic in the Higher course that I could use in an essay in the Listening Paper. Then i wrote phrases for the Directed Writing as in a directed writing there are certain points maybe not asked by the SQA but that you have learned to help your word count and possibly include more of the perfect tense. For example at the start of the directed writing essay you could talk about your journey to Germany and what you did during it and also what you did in your free time while in Germany. Basically all i will be revising is the phrases i wrote down a few months ago. how are you revising?

#9 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

A weird question but do you actually enjoy German Yannica?

#10 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

I do... but the listening freaks me out tongue.gif

Learning it all at school is kind of boring because we seem to just be covering the same thing and I thought by learning it for about 6 years I would know a bit more than what I know now. Also it's difficult to have a conversation with a German because the German we learn is so proper and I don't know how to make conversation at all!! What use it is being able to tell a German that you intend to study after school lol.

I revise by doing what you do too, and listening to german music to try to get into a german mind frame. I'm trying to remember the reflexive verbs too cause we don't get them in the dictionaries...

What about you chas? Do you like german? You can call me Yan btw.

#11 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:53 PM

I do like German Yan as i find it interesting to learn a new language as i keep getting told of how useful it may be in a job later in life. It is quite weird that i'm doing Higher German as i chose French at the start of secondary but i had to do German instead. I'm glad I did! lol. I only joined HSN yesterday and its so nice to meep people like you who are friendly and like to talk about certain subjects.

#12 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

By the way what are reflexive verbs? lol

#13 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

Aww you're so nice laugh.gif it's not very often I get called friendly tongue.gif.
Yeah, I joined HSN because my sister told me it was useful, she says that there's less people using it now though. I didn't get a choice of doing German lol, in primary we were just kind of told, right you're getting German lessons every week now. Then in high school, we were just sorted into the classes that did German or French.
HSN is good for the reason you can ask questions and get very good answers back, and not an earbashing [that I receive from my sister who calls me stupid]
What other subjects are you doing? *totally off topic*

#14 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

I'm doing Higher Maths,Higher English,Higher Information Systems,Higher Human Biology along with German. It has been a tough year for me so i'm looking forward to the holidays in July. What subjects do you do Yan? "continues to turn thread off topic" lol

#15 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

Get back on topic, n00bs tongue.gif

Only kidding.

I did German in S2 as a taster course and I despised it with a passion. Partly 'cause the class didn't listen and threw stuff at the teacher and partly 'cause the teacher let them not listen and throw stuff at her.

#16 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Lol i'm looking forward to sixth year the most.. oh the banter I will/plan to have. I'm doing higher maths, english, german, modern studies and physics. completely suck at physics though lol. Heehee shouldn't be a problem about us going off topic... I don't think tongue.gif

#17 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(yannica @ Apr 4 2007, 08:30 PM) View Post
Lol i'm looking forward to sixth year the most.. oh the banter I will/plan to have. I'm doing higher maths, english, german, modern studies and physics. completely suck at physics though lol. Heehee shouldn't be a problem about us going off topic... I don't think tongue.gif

I've never done German, but I'm doing higher french and latin next year. Have any of you done/doing h.latin?
And going off topic is fun....no explanation neccessary biggrin.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#18 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:28 PM

You already have a thread about higher Latin here, so stop the thread hi-jacking tongue.gif

Nice day today, isn't it?

#19 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(Nathan @ Apr 7 2007, 04:28 PM) View Post
You already have a thread about higher Latin here, so stop the thread hi-jacking! tongue.gif

Nice day today, isn't it?

Lovely. Perfect for nursing a hangover, eh?! Doing anything nice anyone, other than revising third conjugation, second declension ablative nouns? biggrin.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#20 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

Smart-arse tongue.gif

I'm currently looking at sigma and pi bonding in olefins and acetylenes. biggrin.gif

Not that this is related to German in any way. Although, there's a naming convention called cis-/trans- or E/Z, which is related somehow to the German words for opposite and same. biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users