Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How Im doing so far - HSN forum

How Im doing so far

2 replies to this topic

#1 BloodBrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

Right, we did the 1st nab and on another, non-necessary sit I got 24/30 which I was pleased with. Then the prelim came, it went ok I think. A contact lens kept on messing up on me and we didnt get the 1st question until 10 mins later, which wasnt really convienient but still. I answered all questions, coming back to look at one or two that seemed incomprehensible at first. I thankfully remembered that a proton has a same charge as an electron, thought I screwed up loads of answers but in fact I was right. I think I did well enough to warrant a B, like last year.... but I sincerley hope I didnt get a C. My teacher told me that people get Cs/Ds/Fails around this time of the year and get a B or A in the exam, so if I get a B at this stage Im doing well. He also dubbed my class "the worst ever" but I think he has faith in my ability to do well. I didnt do a past prelim before hand and I should have, will defo do lots before may 16th. How do you think I did?

Finally, Ive got a practical investigation coming up. I am going to measure magnetic fields, particularly the Earth's, by various means. I am (and will be) using the internet, web forums, friends, my teacher, my father, the Feynman lectures, the physics's dept.'s books and also the school library's. Is this a good experiment? I think it's unusual in our schools. Can you give me advice about writing up, what to do practically and in particular all the uncertainties that need to be taken into account? I am also referring to past investigations as a semi how-to guide regarding writing it up.

I want to do well in the subject not only for my pride, but because I am most likely to study it at undergraduate level starting September. I have 4 unconditionals but also a conditional (BB at AH) if I want to get into St. Andrews. That is why I am concerned about it. Maths is definetly going to be a B or above but I need to ensure Physics is too, even if I dont go to St. Andrews.

#2 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:09 PM

In my experience lots of teachers tell their class that they are "the worst ever" to get them to work harder. Don't worry about other people in your class and just do the best you can. If it's a subject you are interested in then you are always going to do well.
I did A-level so can't give much advice on the Advanced Higher system, but good luck with your exam, and I hope you enjoy it if you continue with physics to university level.

#3 BloodBrother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

I am begging my classmates to stick with the class... I have already lost one to leaving school (he was annnoying anyway), one to inability to cope and another to bronchitis (he is constantly off so might as well be gone). Now another who did rubbish in the prelim wants to leave... Im doing my best to work with him, making him stay even for the banter, lol. So I care about them in that regard, I also want them to do well but in the end I am in it for my benefit.

Will find out results in a few minutes... probably got one of the top marks....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users