Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
PPA's - HSN forum

PPA's

7 replies to this topic

#1 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hi,
Just wondering what the deal is with the PPA's for the Advanced course? I know theres like 16 or something I think we have done about 4? but only written up 1. What do we need to have done by the end of the year, and do they get sent away or is that just if the school is moderated?
Also what do we need to know about them? Ive noticed in the learning outcomes(candidates information and content statements which we got from our school) that every now and then there is a small bit which says for example PPA3 and a couple of learning outcomes underneath. I dont think there is a bit like this for every PPA though. Is there an official or useful set of learning outcomes for the PPA's or any general guides or anything?
Anyone who knows.. well anything really thankyou in advance!

#2 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

I'm sure ginneswatson will know the score better than me , but I'll give my two cents anyway. Basically, we had to write up only one of the PPAs and this is getting sent away I think. We also have to keep a daybook which is getting sent away, but I think that's just because our school is getting moderated. As for what you have to know, there's a few things for each PPA. I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for, but if you have answers to all of the questions they put forward for discussion on the PPA sheets, and you know roughly what the reaction is (reagents etc.) then you should be fine.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#3 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

You are supposed to do all 12, and write up 3; one from each unit. My teacher says it's a good idea to know about each, because in every exam there is always a few marks for PPA work, that can be worked out, but are much easier if you've done the PPA. He says a couple of years ago they didn't get them all done and the class coudln't really answer some questions properly - so now he insists on doing them all! We did quite a lot before the summer, so not necassarily in order.

#4 star1

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:19 PM

to comment above:
i no this is quite a randum comment but,
is that your unconditional and conditional offers ???
if so i was just wondering what qualifications do you have??
x

#5 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(spoon2001 @ Feb 5 2007, 03:33 PM) View Post
You are supposed to do all 12, and write up 3; one from each unit. My teacher says it's a good idea to know about each, because in every exam there is always a few marks for PPA work, that can be worked out, but are much easier if you've done the PPA. He says a couple of years ago they didn't get them all done and the class coudln't really answer some questions properly - so now he insists on doing them all! We did quite a lot before the summer, so not necassarily in order.
I didn't realise this. I suppose we'll probably be writing these ones up later in the year, and our teacher just hasn't mentioned it yet.

star1, he's got quite the collection of A's.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#6 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

Ok not good! We've not even started topic 3, havent even started writing up our investigations and done like 4 out of 12 PPA's.
Sounds like we're pretty behind... oh oh
Thanks for the advice though anyways.. although im now just completely worried ohmy.gif

#7 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:18 PM

I have standard highers - that's why my Oxford offer is only conditional...pfft...

Yeah - the PPAs are an utter nightmare. There's so little material around on them, it's really hard to make them work and some are quite time-consuming. I couldn't get the cyclohexanol to cyclohexene to work properly, but I know what was supposed to be happening so it's all good.

#8 ginneswatson

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:41 PM

The situation with the PPA's is as follows (and I don't blame any school that tells you 'white lies' to try and make you do more).

There are 12 PPA's. 2 in Unit 1 and 5 each in Unit 2 and Unit 3. You must formally write up one of these, which your teacher must 'mark' to ensure it has been written to the required standard. It may have to be sent to the SQA if they have chosen your school to be moderated. It counts as LO 3 and contributes to your pass for Unit 1 (LO1 is KU, LO2 is PS and these come from the NAB test).

The Day Book is LO 3 for the 'Investigation' Unit. Again it is 'marked/checked' by your teacher to ensure it is 'completed correctly'. Again, it will only be sent away if your school is moderated.

Thereafter it is the same as in the Higher. A portion of the marks in the written paper will come from PPA questions. Some aspects may also have been covered as part of the theory course. For example, during the EDTA titration, ammonia was added to ensure the pH was about 10. The PPA instructions/suggestions for the report will 'tell' you the reason for this (to ensure that the EDTA acid groups are fully ionised). However, during the theory part of the course on ligands, you will have met EDTA and the need to raise the pH to ensure that all 'six teeth' are available may well have been covered. In other words, you may be able to answer the question in the exam without ever having done the PPA.

As usual, if you try every Past Paper possible, and ask the right questions of your teacher, or this forum, you will probably be OK. Each year the SQA report that PPA questions are amongst the least well answered. It doesn't surprise me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users