Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
3x3 Matrix - HSN forum

3x3 Matrix

4 replies to this topic

#1 rustler

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

Hey, I was wondering how you multiply two 3x3 matrices. Its not so much the fianl answer I am concerned with but the process that is used to gain the answer!

For example, how would you multiply:

Top line: (2 -1 2) (3 -1 3)
Middle Line: (-3 0 1) x (0 2 0)
Bottom Line: (0 1 2) (-1 -2 0)
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm Schizophrenic
So am I

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

You use the same method as you would for multiplying any other matrices, the rows x columns thing. It's really no different.

#3 rustler

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

yeh but I am not even sure how to do that! Still not sure how I passed that outcom in my NAB!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm Schizophrenic
So am I

#4 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

I'll let someone else explain, I'm rubbish at explaining this.

#5 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

What you're essentially doing when multiplying "row by column" is, if you think back to Highers, taking the dot product . Once you see it that way and you obviously are an expert at the dot product by now, it becomes much easier - well it did for me anyway.

So dot product top row by the first, second and third columns to give you the first row of your matrix: [ (2,-1,2).(3,0,-1) ....... (2,-1,2).(-1,2,-2) ...... (2,-1,2).(3,0,0) ] which gives your first row.

Similarly dot product the second (middle) row by the first, second and third columns to give your second matrix row: [ (-3,0,1).(3,0,-1) .......... (-3,0,1).(-1,2,-2) ......... (-3,0,1).(3,0,0)]

Similarly repeat for the third line.

In fact this isn't just an easy way of remembering it, it is technically true that the dot product is the product of a (1x3) matrix by its transpose, but that's getting technical and let's not do that. So two things to remember, (i) row by column and (ii) dot products. Good luck.

ps: the dots between the dot product are just there as spacers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users