Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Coursework 06/07 - HSN forum - Page 2

Coursework 06/07

25 replies to this topic

#21 Pete

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

I've done some C in the past. Depending on the difficulty level (I'm a bit rusty now) I may be able to help you out, so feel free to PM me/add me to MSN.

#22 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

Its exactly what I m learning right now, its a bastard to work with, doing pointers this week, have done two practicals on it so far, a simple program which was ok, then a 32 bit number converter going between binary octal hexadecimal and decimal base numbers. I ve got my first heavywieght practical on C next week. This week was a piss easy one on propositional logic. My final two lectures on the C programming language are next week (only got 10 on it), after that it becomes systems level programming. They have us doing threads and semaphores and stuff like that towards the end i think. You can try and put the problem on here, I might be able to help. If not a guy in my class has been writing his own operating system in C, i m sure he could!

The main problems I have with C are the general lack of a development environment, its the terminal and emacs for us now. So getting the bloody thing to compile in the first place takes a wee while... and have you had a core dump or bus error or segmentation fault yet?, they are horrid, the whole thing just dies on you and stops!

#23 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

my current practical is a character counter. You read in a file and count the numbers of a's b's etc then we have to create a graph of the numbers using '=1 #=10 etc Finally there is a timer and filters to be added. In java its a piece of cake in C i just get the most random of warnings when our lecturer is anal about everything and wants us to use the -wall and -pedantic flags when compiling when mine rarely compiles in the least annoying mode.

As if that wasnt bad enough i am using Win64 and none of the C compilers will work with it

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#24 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

That sounds like my next one, my next one is cryptography i ve been told, have to read in characters from an encrypted file and unencrypt it using a lookup table which i presume will be supplied. The -Wall flag I only use when linking all the object files together when writing my Makefiles, its usually the rule I use for the first dependency when I write one.

As for the Win64, I have that problem too hence why all my programming coursework has to be done in the lab as these are Macs with gcc to compile the C programs. I spend enough time in there as it is (currently about 10 hours a week, has gone down somewhat from last semester though!). Something I sometimes do is to SSH into the lab server as this is a UNIX based server which they have intentionally set up in a similar fashion to the lab machines and I can run the programs remotely from my laptop doing this. My department provided us with the software last year for us to do this and taught us how to do it. I only do this for testing my programs though, otherwise it gets quite messy!

Know what your saying, everything is a piece of cake in java compared to C! Thank god I m doing joint honours though, I get to avoid the 3rd year practical when they get them to write the ls command for listing file directories using C, the honours guys are doing that at this moment in time, and are having "fun" with it!

#25 321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

Ok.. I've got my seat number thing working now!! biggrin.gif

Just a wee minor thing in my ID validation but my teacher doesnt even know what it is so I'll only get 1 mark taken off! so yey!

Thanks!
smile.gif

#26 Plug in Baby

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Floorball, Football, Music, Drawing, Technology

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:56 PM

I'm doing my coursework at the moment. Is it the same (mine is about airline booking)? By the sounds of it, yes, but I'm just checking. smile.gif
I'm doing fine so far but I don't know how to get the program to check if a seat is taken.

How do you know what seats are taken? If it is the ones printed (WallaceW468P01 as in 01 being the seat) how do you go further with only 5 avaiable seats? blink.gif

We have to use TrueBasic as my school is so cheap. sad.gif
It makes coding so much harder as it has no colour!!
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users