Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher philosophy - HSN forum

Higher philosophy

30 replies to this topic

#1 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:18 PM

Anyone here done higher philosphy? If so, how is the course and what's the difficulty level? So far all we realy have done is discuss things and we've gone onto think about logic.Quite enjoying it so far biggrin.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

I don't think there is another active Higher Philosophy thread? We've not had our prelims back but our teacher generalised how happy she was with our class by saying that after looking at a few papers she went out and bought a bottle of vodka and a bottle of coke to drown her sorrows! rolleyes.gif She also said she expects 7 pages per essay in the final exam (less than 8 minutes per page for 21 pages) and that any essay we do from now on that isn't up to this "standard" will be handed back - which I think is a joke, I don't think its physically possible for me to write that much, particularly because I write more words per line than your average geezer. On a slightly more positive note, she said there were some good essays...
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:26 PM

i had my prelim on friday. logic was really pretty damn easy (although i'm sure i read that you aren't doing that part maybe..) made a REALLY stupid mistake but other than that fine.logic is pish so you really should aim for full marks in that bit. i knew which essay questions were coming up so nothing surprised me there - plato and the divided line and the arguments for the existence of god. i wrote about 4 pages for the first one (which included a massive picture on the form of a house) and about 6/7 for the other one. i like to learn essays like of by heart so i can jsut regurgutate ( eek cant spell that) it or else i jsut go way off topic, so that'l lbe not good in the exam.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:24 PM

Nah our teacher doesn't teach us logic. So did you get 2hr 40min and only have 2 essays to do? Not fair! Sounds like you should have done well though, which is good smile.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:46 PM

yeh 2 hour 40mins, 2 essays and logic. logic took about 20 mins, it really is THAT easy. we got let out early tho as msot people were finished by an hour and a half.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#6 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:21 PM

Ah, I'm stupid. I forgot that you were doing logic as well.

#7 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:28 PM

teacher marked logic today and i got 23/25, so that's pretty damn good if i say so myself. me is chuffed smile.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#8 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

Congrats smile.gif That's a great mark. I asked my teacher today if she'd marked my essays (the exam was twelve days ago) but she said no, she's only marked four people's papers.

#9 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:01 PM

hate it when teachers take FOREVER to mark papers , grr!
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#10 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:06 PM

I got 53% in the prelim overall.

Edited by bred, 18 May 2005 - 04:43 PM.

#11 xglassxvicex

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:54 PM

Got my higher philosophy prelim back today and scored 25 for my first essay, 25 for my second and 20 for my third 'cos I really suck at moral philosophy: it would be so much better if we could have done logic instead bu ah well, 'spose I can't complain. tongue.gif

#12 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

25 and 25 for two essays!! wow! i'm surprised nobody else does logic, it's really quite easy. well compared to writing essays anyway!

i got my prelim back, go 23/25 for logic, 20/25 for essay on the classical arguemnts and 15/25 for palto essay ( i love palto i do!) so 57/75 which is an A. really happy with that!

i think the fact that yoiu have a crap teacher bred2k4 won;t really help matters. i have an excellent teacher and he's helped alot especially with plato (altho that's obviosuly not evident in my essay on him tongue.gif ) we do alot of discussion and the fact that im in a class with only 6 people also helps. If it's only your first prelim you'll pass the next one smile.gif

user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:49 AM

Congratulations to you both, brilliant marks! Highest mark in the class out of 17 people was 70% but most failed. rolleyes.gif

#14 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

For my revision I'm thinking I'll just revise Plato, Free Will & Determinism, and Utilitarianism & Kantian Ethics (specifically for War and Punishment). There will definitely be an essay question on each topic will there not?
I'm pretty sure there will be I just want to make sure. smile.gif

#15 Misty_Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:26 AM

Hey to all in this forum,

I am a Higher Philosophy student - we are currently revising for our prelim!

I am worried about the time scale in the exam even though I have done well through out all the unit tests.

As our exam is in a weeks time I have from Thur to Thur to study - that's about two days per topic.

I like punishment and war - doing Kantian and Utilitarian views and I'm okay at section two with Existence of God and Freewill and Determinism.

But what really worries me is the first unit we studied Plato, Descarte and Hume but Id don't know the last two all that well. If there isn'ta question on The Parable Of the Cave I'm screwed!

Any study tips or advice?

Thanks a lot

Misty

#16 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

I would also love some good study tips or advice. Philosophy is the subject I am least confident about sitting at the moment. I think part of the problem is it being a course that is not taught very widely. Whilst I have a nice concise notes book for Higher Chemistry, for Philosophy I have really detailed thick books which don't really invite revision.

#17 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:40 PM

i have only studied logic, not any of the essays tho sad.gif i'm screwed i can tell it. the cave came up last year.. ive got a feeling it will b the line this year (for plato!) it wa a good existence of god question last year too. i cantr remember descartes atall, and i suck at moral..yay!

i'm not worried about time tho, i tihnk we get ages! logic takes have an hour at most, so i should have about an hour or mroe for each essay. i realise lots of people dont do logic though.

good luck kiddies smile.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#18 Silver

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Location:Chasing WB execs with a knife- damn those Angel cancellers
  • Interests:Buffy, Angel, ice skating, my pond, the supernatural, Ginger Snaps (I and II), Thirteen, Graphic design, Flash movies, RPGs (playing and creating), drawing, writing

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:54 PM

I've just been writing notes out myself. Once I've written them I know almost everything and I just reread them a couple of times after that.

So far I've studied Descartes, Plato, Kantian & Utilitarian Ethics, Euthanasia, Metaphysics and Epistemology, but now I'm sure there won't be the right questions for me, because that would just be typical.

And only a few hours left, eep!

#19 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:45 PM

change what i earlier said.. i'm infact really worried. since i left studying so late instead of studying plato,descartes, moral and existence of god, ive just learned plato and the gods. i hope to hell the questions turn out to be alrite. I know my fallacies to a T for logic but i haven't done too much revisiion on soundness etcetc. och well. all the best to everyone smile.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#20 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:01 PM

well how did you find it?

i thought it was not too bad, the question on plato was really good and the existence of god essay was also not too bad. logic, however, was a toughy.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users