Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Considering Dentistry? - HSN forum

Considering Dentistry?

21 replies to this topic

#1 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:00 PM

Just wondering if anyone is intending to apply for dentistry?

#2 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:17 PM

Yep, definitely. I was at the glasgow open day yesterday and was very impressed by the facilities available in the dental school. A surprise for me was the fantastic atmosphere within the building - the doctors and students were very friendly and seemed to enjoy the course very much.

#3 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:47 PM

Yes the uni was impressive. What grades have you got at the moment? Chemistry is the only subject I need to pass this year!

#4 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(natalie1062 @ Sep 9 2004, 06:47 PM)
Yes the uni was impressive.  What grades have you got at the moment?  Chemistry is the only subject I need to pass this year!

View Post

AAABB :/ But I phoned up glasgow admissions on the day of the exam results and she said if I do well this year I should make the interview stage smile.gif Gonna check out Dundee this coming wednesday, should be an interesting comparison.

#5 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:30 PM

My cousin did dentistry at Dundee because she didn't get the grades for Glasgow. She says Dundee is just as good, though, she thoroughly enjoyed the course.

#6 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:55 PM

My brother done dentistry in Dundee and he said the facilities were good there. In fact apparantly Dundee has better research than Glasgow and the latter has a number of problems, which have already been highlighted.

#7 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

so is anyone applying for dentistry at the mo?

#8 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:31 PM

...I take it that is a no then tongue.gif

#9 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:01 AM

You know if you're applying for medicine and that takes four spaces...could you fill the other two with dentistry?

edit...no pun intended btw!

#10 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:07 AM

Nope, you're not allowed to do that.

#11 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:40 PM

Hey, I am going through a bit of a dilemma jus now lol... I am thinking of applying for dentistry- I did a week of work experience at Glasgow detal hospital- was very good- brilliant teaching hospital and very nice place to be generally... I was so sure that I wanted to do dentistry but now I am having the ultimate career choice dilemma- I don't know whether I want to do dentistry or medicine... suppose I just need to get some medical work experience too and compare!
Anyone who is doing dentistry, what sort of experience etc have you done/are doing in prep for it?

#12 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

hello amo

I applied for dentistry (for 2006 entry). I done dentistry work experience and I enjoyed it. I never done medicine W/E (maybe I should have), but my mind was always set on dentistry. But I would advise you to do medicine W/E as well - it could help if you know someone that is a doctor / dentist. You have plenty of time (you are applying later this year, right?). Don't worry too much. I am sure you will make up your mind eventually. Get work experience for both professions and just compare (If you can't get work experience, then try again and keep trying)

I advise you to go the follwing site: http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/

It is for medicine and dentistry applicants mainly, and there are a lot of people on the forum that can give you a lot more info than you will find here.

Good luck

smile.gif

#13 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:11 AM

Thanks very much for your help! smile.gif
Only in fifth year at the moment, so will be applying next year. My brother is actually a medical student and so I have found some of the content he is doing very interesting, but yes, I am also still interested in medicine. I will take a look at that site and try and get some more work experience. Thanks

#14 J_2600

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:48 PM

Hi. What subjects do you need to have taken to do dentistry at Uni ?

#15 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

Well it depends... the usual is Chemistry, Biology and either Maths or Physics at higher level and at least a standard grade level 3 pass at English.

#16 J_2600

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

Thanks

#17 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:52 PM

what subs are you doing amo?

#18 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

I'm doing higher maths, english, biology, chemistry and physics... hope to do advanced bio, chem and french next year if all goes well this year!

#19 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

Im gonna apply for dentistry, its been my ambition since 1st year.

#20 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping &lt;3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hiya
I'm hoping to apply to dentistry, but was just wondering if anyone had written their personal statements yet ?? I could do with some tips, coz I don't really have a clue how to start !!
Thanks !! Much appreciated !
*~* Pam xxx *~*
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users