Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Differentation - HSN forum

Differentation

4 replies to this topic

#1 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

Can someone help with this please. I dont know where to start and what rules I use to get through this question.

ln(1 + x/1 - x)

Thanks
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#2 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:36 PM

Let u=1+\frac{x}{1-x}, so you have y=ln(u). You can differentiate y with repsect to x using the chain rule now. Note that you will probably use the quotient rule to differentiate u with respect to x.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#3 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:10 PM

You could algebraically simplify the:

IPB Image

(exclude the u, this is just cause I'm too lazy to rewrite the expression)

to 1/(1-x) which makes it a pretty straightforward integral, ln[1/(1-x)]

ps: ad_absurdum hope you don't mind me nicking your tex. biggrin.gif

edit: sorry I'm pretty sure I read it was an integral question! Anyway you still could simplify and use the chain rule.

#4 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

whoops i didnt make that clear. Its differentiation and Its ln (1+X)/(1-X)

thanks
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#5 waitingforan_alibi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:39 PM

just do:

ln((1+x)/(1-x)= ln(1+x)-ln(1-x)

that differentiates to:

1/(1+x)+1/(1-x)