Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
worried about complete and utter failure - HSN forum

worried about complete and utter failure

14 replies to this topic

#1 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

Hi, just to tell you of the terrible situation that our higher english is in. The prelim is in a month, we have done next to no practice for close reading (at all in the higher course), and have done no proper essays that have been marked for us to see where we can do better in the critical essay part of the exam sad.gif We did two essays, which we self marked blink.gif .. we are doing our first novel romeo and juliet and will probably finish reading it about half way through january. We are all terrified that we will fail, and its not right, since its a top higher english class with most o the ppl in it, who could get an A; are being dragged down by a lazy teacher. All of the other classes have done tonnes of essays on at least 3 novels and poems. And there wos one class who did 50 pages of notes on close reading. we have done a total of 0pages.
The ppl who want to do well are being dragged down by the utter screeching lunatics who are constantly mucking about, and getting threatened by the teacher, but nothing happens to make them stop unsure.gif .. ach i dnt know, i jst thot i'd share that with you all, to let you know that it does happen sad.gif

max

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

Sounds familiar.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:48 PM

does it? what was your situation? I'm jst crappin it if i dnt get a gd enough english grade for uni, n i dnt like english n they r strict on takin in students who have had to resit it i thnk

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

My teacher didn't teach us anything either. I suggest complaining to your teacher that other classes have done fifty pages of notes for close reading whereas you've not done any. If he doesn't do anything I guess complain to your headteacher.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

Yeh i thnk somethin like that will need 2 happen . It's a joke. Mind you i complained to her before we sat the close reading nab about how we did not do anything ( we did have an english supply teacher, who taught us nothing for 6weeks) and she did nothing about it. two periods of simple, vaguely going over close reading and 4 questions from the 2006 higher past paper, even these she went over, reading off the marking scheme.
None of us understand how a teacher like that, who only normally teaches the bottom classes who muck about, is allowed to teach higher english. Well i guess if we all do miserably in the prelim that it will say something about her.

#6 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:04 PM

If you do miserably in the prelim, which you wont, then you can count on us to help. My teacher was really good and gave us lots of advice. I'd be happy to help you!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#7 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

i would really appreciate it, i'd do anything to get a B in english smile.gif

how do you go about memorising quotes? and wot can you do to get better at close reading? im not bad at it, i got a 1 for close reading at s-grade bt we've nt bn taught most of the higher close reading skills or told what we should do to get better. blink.gif

#8 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:46 AM

You just have to make a list of quotes, then try to cut it down so you just have 1-3 quotes for points you could make, eg on a character or a theme. If you can use quotes to do two or more things all the better. You can try and concentrate your quotes into a couple of key scenes.

And get a book called "How To Pass Higher English" It is really good. I managed to get a decent B with that and I have absolutely no skill at english.

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:40 PM

Yeh I would say have 3 one-line quotes and 3 longer ones. If you can't remember the longer ones just remember the key bits and put.. in the middle.

#10 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

thanks alot guys smile.gif

#11 Flyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:51 PM

Dont worry about the English prelim because if you fail it, its not the end of the world. I failed the prelim last year and got an A in the end.

#12 star1

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:36 PM

just study really hard and you will be fine
x

#13 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

Yes and you can always ask the hsn mod (via PM though please)!

#14 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:23 PM

Higher English isn't as hard as you think. It's just a b*stard of a work-load. If you are really serious about doing well and put in the hours then it won't be too hard. Close Reading is a skill that isn't too difficult - it's just a case of learning to think in a particular way. And don't worry about the essays; they're not looking for Tolstoy. State, quote, comment: the formula that got me 21 and 23 in my essays wink.gif

#15 cobainfan

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

My teacher was utterly uselss as well, although I somehow managed to get 75% in the prelim. He hasn't been in for the past two days, so I can't give him past papers to mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users