Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher Physics Investigation - HSN forum

Advanced Higher Physics Investigation

21 replies to this topic

#1 Bigmanstu

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:50 PM

Hi all,

I need to decide what the subject of my AH Physics Investigation will be. unsure.gif

What have other forum members done in the past or could you give me any ideas for what I should do!! huh.gif

The more dangerous and original the better... ph34r.gif

#2 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:StirlingSwim

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:10 PM

I too am looking for a good source on potential practical projects in AH physics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated wink.gif

#3 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:50 PM

Hey, I'm doing AH physics as well, but we do not start our investigation for a while yet.

Do you read magazines like New Scientist? There is a lot of information in such publications which could help you with your project.

Most of my class subscribes to New Scientist or Scientific American.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#4 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Sep 13 2004, 04:50 PM)
Hey, I'm doing AH physics as well, but we do not start our investigation for a while yet.

Do you read magazines like New Scientist? There is a lot of information in such publications which could help you with your project.

Most of my class subscribes to New Scientist or Scientific American.

View Post

Me 2 im doing advanced, weve also got a while yet for our investigations, but why not start to plan early.
Btw which investigation are you all doing in class?
We have just done the Outcome 3 one, the angular accelerationn with torque one.
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#5 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:16 PM

We've more or less been told ot keep it simple, the best opton being just to do something from the unit we're working on at the moment. Its a bit of a burden for us to start them so early but our teacher says he just wants us to get them done as quick as possible and out the way.

I need to put my initial ideas in by Thursday. At the moment it looks like being measurements of g, or something to do with centripetal acceleration.

#6 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Holmes @ Sep 13 2004, 08:16 PM)
We've more or less been told ot keep it simple, ...our teacher says he just wants us to get them done as quick as possible and out the way.

View Post

Our teacher who is a marker for the investigations at advanced higher was talking to use about that sort of thing. Apparently there has been an increasing downward trend in the quality of the investigations over the years that advanced higher has been running. From what she has seen the simple investigations tend to score poorly where as other invetigations which transcend the course tend to score well. Those investigations which seem to have been done "to get them out of the way" also seem to score poorly.

Now dont start ranting at me for saying that becuase I am sure that your teacher and you know what you are doing, I am just giving you the perspecive of a marker.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:11 PM

my investigation is to measure the focal length of a concave and cenvex lens using three different methods. i think its pretty good and has been done before and scored highly as far as i know

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 14 2004, 06:11 PM)
my investigation is to measure the focal length of a concave and cenvex lens using three different methods. i think its pretty good and has been done before and scored highly as far as i know

View Post

i know a marker and they say keep it simple and produce a good report at AH level,,dont make it complex

#9 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:29 PM

Well i have to put in my inital ideas for tomorow about the project. after much research this afternoon ive came to the conclusion of doing something to do with refraction. Im going to find the refractive indexes for a liquid using a few methods. either that or i will determine the variation between the temperature of a liquid and its refractive index.

My biggest problem at the moment is finding 1 method let alone a few for measuring the refractive index of liquids.

Anybody got any idea about this?! blink.gif

#10 Monty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(Bigmanstu @ Aug 24 2004, 04:50 PM)
Hi all,

I need to decide what the subject of my AH Physics Investigation will be.  unsure.gif

What have other forum members done in the past or could you give me any ideas for what I should do!!  huh.gif

The more dangerous and original the better...  ph34r.gif

View Post

#11 kirki9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(Bigmanstu @ Aug 24 2004, 05:50 PM)
Hi all,

I need to decide what the subject of my AH Physics Investigation will be.  unsure.gif

What have other forum members done in the past or could you give me any ideas for what I should do!!  huh.gif

View Post

Took me ages to think of somethin aswell. How about measuring refractive indices of substances at different temperatures and pressures an seeing if there are any relationships. I knew a guy got killed trying such experiments, V dangerous, was of boredom mind, but might be worth a try blink.gif

#12 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(kirki9 @ Sep 28 2004, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE(Bigmanstu @ Aug 24 2004, 05:50 PM)
Hi all,

View Post

Took me ages to think of somethin aswell. How about measuring refractive indices of substances at different temperatures and pressures an seeing if there are any relationships. I knew a guy got killed trying such experiments, V dangerous, was of boredom mind, but might be worth a try blink.gif

View Post

Thats what im doing, the refractive index related to temperature.

#13 maloney_luver

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:36 PM

hey...my teacher just mentioned the projects to us today...said something about me doing one where you pour water through tubes and measure the speed or something like that....he told another guy in my class about the spectroscopy of a hydrogen atom...and another guy is doing torques....he said the easiest one to do is all the different measurements of g....and another possibility is how the resistance of an LDR varies with light intensity....sorry if thats a bit vague

#14 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:28 PM

Ive been given my investigation topic, and i will be investigating ways to measure "g"!! (woohoo)

cool.gif

user posted image

#15 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:52 PM

they tell me thats one of the easier ones so congrats

#16 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:08 PM

Hey Dave cheers.
Im not sure if its easy or whether its hard. I dont think it will be extremly difficult nor will it be too easy.
I think its finding the value for "g", using things like Simple Harmonic motion, with springs, and also pendulums.

cool.gif

user posted image

#17 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:28 PM

dry.gif logical i don't know how the guy in my class is going to do it i am pretty sure he aint even thought about it

#18 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:34 PM

I havnt thought much about either, i was jut given it yesterday, so ill need to look on the web to see if i can find any experiments.

user posted image

#19 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:41 PM

A-level physics textbooks are always a good bet for this sorta thing sad but true

#20 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:50 PM

Cheers, will try and get hold of 1, if ne 1 else knows any more good sources, then fire away! biggrin.gif

cool.gif

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users