Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help The Site Grow! - HSN forum - Page 4

Help The Site Grow!

193 replies to this topic

#61 Miss World

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:50 AM

Wow, I never have any ideas unless i steal them!!! ph34r.gif rofl rofl rofl rofl lololololololololol

#62 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 09:30 AM

Cmon Ally I bet you have some good ideas!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#63 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:55 PM

How did that exhibition go by the way?

Hope it went well for you...

#64 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:51 AM

A forum upgrade would be good (IPB PF 2 has quite a few bugs in it, maybe look into donations for a License purchase?)

Exam Scheduler (Integrated with Forums so that users can keep track of all when their exams are).

Course Progress (Integrated with Forums so that users can keep track of NAB results and any other practive tests etc. It could automatically work out how they are doing in their chosen course to see if they're improving or not).

Homework Diary (Integrated with Forums, I created a modification for IPB called the "User Reminder System" which allows users to get reminders on the board index to do soemthing, users could set this to the night before and users can easily view all the reminders and archive them, search them etc.)

#65 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Nov 6 2004, 07:55 PM)
How did that exhibition go by the way?

Hope it went well for you...

View Post

It went really well smile.gif We were well prepared, and our display looked great (I think we've got a photo of it somewhere, which should be going up on the site). There was a lot of interest from teachers, and it'll be interesting to see what effect it has on visitor numbers smile.gif

QUOTE(Scott @ Nov 7 2004, 09:51 AM)
A forum upgrade would be good (IPB PF 2 has quite a few bugs in it, maybe look into donations for a License purchase?)

View Post

I have noticed a couple of bugs, and IPS have just changed their licensing system. We're certainly intending to purchase the license, and we have a donations page already set up to support the site. We've only had one donation though (and that was ages ago)! With more donations, it would certainly be viable.

Exam Scheduler (Integrated with Forums so that users can keep track of all when their exams are).

View Post

We have put exam dates for HSN courses into the forum calendar, and I think members should be able to add their own personal calendar events too. If that's not what you had in mind, let me know smile.gif

Course Progress (Integrated with Forums so that users can keep track of NAB results and any other practive tests etc. It could automatically work out how they are doing in their chosen course to see if they're improving or not).

View Post

Hmm, sounds tricky tongue.gif I do think it sound good, but it would be very hard to cater for everyone with such a range of courses, and with each school having it's own way of doing things.

Homework Diary (Integrated with Forums, I created a modification for IPB called the "User Reminder System" which allows users to get reminders on the board index to do soemthing, users could set this to the night before and users can easily view all the reminders and archive them, search them etc.)

View Post

That certainly sounds useful, and it might not be too hard to set up.

Thanks smile.gif

#66 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(George @ Nov 7 2004, 03:49 PM)

View Post

Hmm, sounds tricky tongue.gif I do think it sound good, but it would be very hard to cater for everyone with such a range of courses, and with each school having it's own way of doing things.

View Post

I've made a load of mods for IPS products (used to work for them). I may try to rustle up something similar to this in my free time.

QUOTE(George @ Nov 7 2004, 03:49 PM)

View Post

That certainly sounds useful, and it might not be too hard to set up.

Thanks smile.gif

There's an auto-installer for parts of it, but the only hard part is following the instructions for hacking the code wink.gif

Oh and the calendar thing, I'm modding my own mod (!) so that calendar events can be added to the user reminder system. So the same system can be like the homework diary and hold that users exams.

#67 mr trousers

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(Miss World @ Nov 5 2004, 11:50 AM)
Wow, I never have any ideas unless i steal them!!!  ph34r.gif rofl rofl rofl rofl lololololololololol

View Post

I still want you to roll on the floor laughing at my place
I guess they were right to delete my original post, it is a bit rude for a 'school' forum rolleyes.gif

ive got a nice thick bed of hay in the stable....audrey wink.gif

#68 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:36 PM

Watch the message above doesnt get deleted too!

#69 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

this guy needs a shot to calm those urges he keeps getting

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#70 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:40 PM

The links section of some subjects hasn't been completed.

I can compile them for you if you want...

#71 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:43 PM

George and Steve- I have an idea, a dedicated and locked mods forum for mods to air their view point out which forums/ members must be more strictly moderated, decide that if someone is off for a long time another mod will perform their duties etc

#72 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Nov 8 2004, 11:40 PM)
The links section of some subjects hasn't been completed.

I can compile them for you if you want...

View Post

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this. We've got plans for the links section, but in the meantime you could keep a note of any good links, or post them on the forum.

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Nov 23 2004, 09:43 PM)
George and Steve- I have an idea, a dedicated and locked mods forum for mods to air their view point out which forums/ members must be more strictly moderated, decide that if someone is off for a long time another mod will perform their duties etc

View Post

I think a mods forum could be useful. I'll just try it out...

smile.gif

#73 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 01:51 PM

The new mods forum is good.

I've thought up of a new idea for the forum but I don't know whether it will be an advantage or a disadvantage. Maybe try locking the forums to guests so that everyone has to register to view them.

The advantage is that there could be more members signing up, in order to see the forums. The disadvantage could be that they don't bother signing up, so you might not get as much new members.

#74 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 02:14 PM

i think the disadvantage will be the case that happens the most certainly i my experience i haven't signed up to board that i haven't been able to see before i join

#75 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Nov 27 2004, 01:51 PM)
I've thought up of a new idea for the forum but I don't know whether it will be an advantage or a disadvantage. Maybe try locking the forums to guests so that everyone has to register to view them.

The advantage is that there could be more members signing up, in order to see the forums.  The disadvantage could be that they don't bother signing up, so you might not get as much new members.

View Post

I think we weighed that up before, and decided it would be best to let anyone read the forum, but to restrict posting to members. I think that this way, the people who do register are more likely to be active on the forum.

#76 D_n_y

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:erm just the usual mince...

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:04 PM

Dont know if anyone allready suggested this allready, but for course notes you could set
up a wikipedia style page (http://www.wikipedia.org/) where anyone
can add to the notes and freely edit parts to improve on the information that is allready
there.
msn: I_dont_want_ur_junk@hotmail.com
MDunn

#77 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

could be open to abuse though

#78 D_n_y

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:erm just the usual mince...

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

think most ppl would respect it,
but u could keep a back up of the last 10 changes etc
but seriously how many bams will b interested in learning enough to register for the forum in the fist place?!?
msn: I_dont_want_ur_junk@hotmail.com
MDunn

#79 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

we have had a few as it happens

anyway, all notes on this site have all been checked by teachers for accuracy so until their is a change in the course there shouldnt be any major problems

#80 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(D_n_y @ Apr 14 2005, 05:04 PM)
Dont know if anyone allready suggested this allready, but for course notes you could set
up a wikipedia style page (http://www.wikipedia.org/) where anyone
can add to the notes and freely edit parts to improve on the information that is allready
there.

View Post

It's a good suggestion, and we are keen on a collaborative approach.

However, I'm not sure that a wiki would be very popular, or complete. We also like to have our releases reviewed by teachers to make sure they are accurate. Our approach has been to set up HSN contribute, where students or teachers can upload materials for us to include in future releases.

A wiki might be something we will reconsider though. It might be a good way to get some coverage for courses with less uptake, or where it would be a huge job for one person to write complete notes (eg Higher Geography). Perhaps we could then take the content of the wiki when it seems fairly complete, and produce an actual release with help from teachers. Hmm, I think I like that idea biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users