Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help The Site Grow! - HSN forum - Page 2

Help The Site Grow!

193 replies to this topic

#21 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:42 PM

Well I offered to post some higher biology notes when I have some spare time...

#22 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Sep 2 2004, 01:00 PM)
I have already sent sum Accounting and Finance Notes in, but dont know wots happenin with them

View Post

Sorry about that. I've had the notes checked over by a teacher; I'm just not familiar with Accounts, and with the course changing I'll need to do some reading. The notes are good though, I think they just need to be more substantial.

#23 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(George @ Sep 2 2004, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE(Shandogg @ Sep 2 2004, 01:00 PM)
I have already sent sum Accounting and Finance Notes in, but dont know wots happenin with them

View Post

Sorry about that. I've had the notes checked over by a teacher; I'm just not familiar with Accounts, and with the course changing I'll need to do some reading. The notes are good though, I think they just need to be more substantial.

View Post

No, I wasnt moanin or anythin....just lettin Louise know!

Yeh....they were just basic Accounts! Nothin special...I am sure Louise will do a lot more substantial notes....especially since course is changin

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#24 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:38 AM

Yeh of course Shandogg, thanks, I will do. Of course ur notes will form the basis of accounts which should really help ppl understand mine. Its very good of u to give up ur time to do this.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#25 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:01 PM

Not many ppl postin in here yet!

Wot would u want to see on HSN....u must have summin u want....have a look back and see if you get any more ideas

Shandogg tongue.gif
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#26 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:47 PM

How's HSN Extra going?

I noticed while surfing the site that they have their own materials and forum section.

Seems really professional! tongue.gif

#27 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:57 AM

Unfortunately, HSN extra has been a bit slow getting started. The good thing is the materials, which are mainly presentation versions of the notes available on the site are actually being used to teach the Higher Maths classes at our old school.

This gives us a chance to get feedback on them and improve them before they are made available to everyone. They seem to have gone down really well and the pupils are happy because they can just print off the notes from the site and don't have to copy down notes in class!

Oh, we're going to have prelims too - which we hope will be popular.

We're aiming to have everything ready for next year after it's all been tried out and aproved.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#28 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 02:47 PM

Now George and Stevev I dont wish to be rude but half of south lanarkshire have never even heard of hsn. I was the first person in my school (one of the biggest schools in scotland) to hear about the site and no teachers at all knew about it, there were only two people from my school who had ever heard of the site and they found out the same time as me. Word of mouth has of course improved that, however, perhaps u just need some more marketting for this new project and for the original site, try perhaps mailling letters to schools?

#29 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Sep 18 2004, 03:47 PM)
Now George and Stevev I dont wish to be rude but half of south lanarkshire have never even heard of hsn. I was the first person in my school (one of the biggest schools in scotland) to hear about the site and no teachers at all knew about it, there were only two people from my school who had ever heard of the site and they found out the same time as me. Word of mouth has of course improved that, however, perhaps u just need some more marketting for this new project and for the original site, try perhaps mailling letters to schools?

View Post

I just found a link to it on another student forum. Are you trying to get it noticed?

#30 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:10 PM

S U G G E S T I O N

What about hsn members giving u lists of emails of ppl we know....u could then send a universal email to these ppl with the guarantee of the addresses being ppl who would use the notes....eg all are about the same age and at school???

This would spread the word like wild fire! Also, what about school email addresses,we could give you them????

Posters could be made and send to schools through email (eg MS Word style posters) Schools could either email the poster to pupils or print it and display it on boards (All Glasgow schools have a mass amount of computers which allow every single pupil to have an email address and check their emails in the learning centres within the school)

Any1 else think these are good ideas???

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#31 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 03:22 PM

Now George and Stevev I dont wish to be rude but half of south lanarkshire have never even heard of hsn. ... Word of mouth has of course improved that, however, perhaps u just need some more marketting for this new project and for the original site, try perhaps mailling letters to schools?

View Post

Yes, we're not widely known. We've never attempted any sort of marketing to schools, and we don't have a budget for anything like that. Besides, we're poor students now tongue.gif

QUOTE(Acaila @ Sep 18 2004, 04:50 PM)
Are you trying to get it noticed?

View Post

We are trying, but probably not as hard as we could be. We've got links coming into the site from all over the place, which is great. Really, it's that and search engines which bring in new people to the site. So at the moment, our attempts to get noticed have been online - where it's mainly people who are trying to find us, or something like us.

More traditional marketing (eg posters, flyers) is probably the next logical step, but we can't do that without money.

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Sep 18 2004, 06:10 PM)
What about hsn members giving u lists of emails of ppl we know....u could then send a universal email to these ppl with the guarantee of the addresses being ppl who would use the notes....eg all are about the same age and at school???

Posters could be made and send to schools through email (eg MS Word style posters) Schools could either email the poster to pupils or print it and display it on boards

View Post

It would probably make more sense for you to contact those people directly - mainly because they would be more likely to follow your suggestion than visit some random site that's e-mailed them, and there's also a privacy/data protection issue with all the e-mail addresses.

We'd like to get posters out to schools, but I'm not sure how successful it would be if we distributed files by e-mail, for schools to print. Basically, I think they'd just not bother.

We are working on getting some financial support behind us, but to no avail so far.

#32 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:12 PM

Hmm...............

I have some good contacts George. Kall Kwik in Edinburgh :-D.

If you get a poster designed - I'll see about getting it printed. (see how cheap I can get it - Shouldn't be that hard to find funding! I'm willing to contribute).

Infact, I'm moving to edinburgh tomorrow. Got into Napier! Might see you around sometime..?
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#33 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:54 PM

View Post

I think HSN has done remarkably well, considering that it's only been on-line since last November (I think).

I tend to agree that it's not known by the majority of people sitting Highers, but still, as George said, there are lots of links coming into this site.

The only revision site which is probably bigger than this site is probably the BBC Bitesize site, which is pretty much obvious since it's owned by the BBC.

Still though, since I joined in December, it's increased a lot in popularity.

For promoting HSN, what about getting in contact with major book shops and asking them if they could stick up a HSN poster near the education section. Also, towards exam time there are some guides published by the broadsheets giving advice on how to revise. Why not get in conact with them and ask if they'll be able to put the URL of this site on their guide. Just a thought!

#34 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Sep 20 2004, 05:54 PM)
  Also, towards exam time there are some guides published by the broadsheets giving advice on how to revise.  Why not get in conact with them and ask if they'll be able to put the URL of this site on their guide.  Just a thought!

View Post

sounds good....they will see that the site is beneficial and would be appreciated by most pupils..... doubt they would say no
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#35 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:37 PM

Another suggestion I've got is to expand the forum so that it includes other high-uptake subjects like Biology, History & Geography etc...

#36 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Sep 26 2004, 12:37 PM)
Another suggestion I've got is to expand the forum so that it includes other high-uptake subjects like Biology, History & Geography etc...

View Post

Yes, I really hope that happens. Even is the creators of the website havn't taken these subjects there are many on here who have who would be willing to discuss and help with these subjects. As for moderators there are also many on here (myself included) who would be happy to help on that front.

Who knows, mabye the creation of these subforums would encourage people to write notes...
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#37 Meghan_Soriano

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:44 AM

There should be separate forums for popular subjects like Geography and Languages huh.gif

#38 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Sep 26 2004, 01:37 PM)
expand the forum so that it includes other high-uptake subjects like Biology, History & Geography etc...

View Post

I think that's something we will be doing; it's just a case of deciding which courses to add unsure.gif

#39 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:22 PM

Heres a new idea:

altho u have notes for subjects, y not have notes about going to uni....eg personal statements...i am sure ppl would really appreciate seeing exemplar personal statements as most struggle to think of a structure for it...it would be willing to contribute mines from last year if interested?

wot does every1 think of this idea?
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#40 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:08 PM

Fantastic Idea hope George and Steve read your idea there!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users