Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help The Site Grow! - HSN forum - Page 9

Help The Site Grow!

193 replies to this topic

#161 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

I've made a Higher Art forum.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#162 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

someone will be happy biggrin.gif

#163 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

I am happy style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

have never been up at this tme in the morning to check anything

um....I'd like to thank my mam, and my dad..... style_emoticons/default/crying.gif
style_emoticons/default/crying.gif and i'd like to thank steve or george or whatever guy decided to make the section..... and.... th-this is the b-best day of my l-life. style_emoticons/default/crying.gif

#164 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

haha laugh.gif

although the art forum still has a rubbish default name thingy. maybe we should get miss Macleod to do a commisson for it tongue.gif

#165 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:22 PM

Nice. Just noticed the favicon for HSN now (been using IE for a while rolleyes.gif ). tongue.gif

#166 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(PK Barackis @ Mar 25 2006, 05:29 PM) View Post

haha laugh.gif

although the art forum still has a rubbish default name thingy. maybe we should get miss Macleod to do a commisson for it tongue.gif

oh yes! please!

Can we get a cool different coloured one or something wink.gif

Please

#167 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:36 PM

i agree with the little lady. cool icon for the art forum. tongue.gif

#168 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

How about an HSN TV channel or something?

#169 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:14 AM

The majority of the regulars now either at university or begin university life in the next 2 months. Maybe it's time for a change to the "After School" forum? It just seems like we the regulars stick to "General Chat" and the "After School" forums. I'd like to help out in the subject forums but well, too many nights out drinking have destroyed my memory of school subjects!

Maybe something like subforums for the different universities and:
Course Choices
Student Life (aka Nights Out!)
Welfare
Marketplace
Academic Issues

Like I said, the vast majority of the regulars are now in uni life and it is quite a close community so it'd be nice to have some sort of order to the "After School" forum.

Obviously the site is geared towards Higher students so I don't know whether the suggestion is suitable or not.

#170 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

sounds good....but i think separating it into different universities will just make it too separated :S

#171 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

Just wondering... any progress with the HSN Wiki idea?

#172 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

I agree about a lot of members now being at uni, and I think it would be appropriate to have some new subforums. Here's what I came up with:

Course Choices
Get help with deciding what to study, where to study it, and how to apply.

Student Life
Nights out, university accommodation, financial support.

Your studies
Share some details about what you're learning, good books/websites, and see if anyone can help with the bits you don't get!

I reckon that will do for now, and we can see how it goes. I'll get those set up quite soon, unless there are any suggestions.

QUOTE(Ally @ Aug 3 2006, 07:18 PM) View Post

Just wondering... any progress with the HSN Wiki idea?

It depends what you mean by "progress" tongue.gif (Essentially, no!)

We've been busy with other things for now, but it is a definite goal. I did try working with MediaWiki a while ago (the software used by Wikipedia), but I think it's a bit complicated for our needs. We'd probably need to hand-code something, and that will just take time.

#173 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

Any progress for the uni subforums?
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#174 Pete

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

It depends what you mean by "progress" tongue.gif (Essentially, no!)

We've been busy with other things for now, but it is a definite goal. I did try working with MediaWiki a while ago (the software used by Wikipedia), but I think it's a bit complicated for our needs. We'd probably need to hand-code something, and that will just take time.

You're right, MediaWiki is just overkill for something like this. You don't need to hand-code a wiki, I know of a few Wiki's that would suit your need perfectly. Personally, I'd recommend DokuWiki. I've got a fair bit of experience with that particular piece of kit, and it's very good.

#175 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

Dont know if this has already been said but it would be good if HSN had notes and resources for AH's such as physics, chemistry, biology. From what ive seen its only computing in the free notes section.

#176 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Paul @ Aug 19 2006, 02:24 PM) View Post

Any progress for the uni subforums?

Thanks for the reminder - I've added those now smile.gif

QUOTE(Pete @ Aug 19 2006, 08:13 PM) View Post

You're right, MediaWiki is just overkill for something like this. You don't need to hand-code a wiki, I know of a few Wiki's that would suit your need perfectly. Personally, I'd recommend DokuWiki. I've got a fair bit of experience with that particular piece of kit, and it's very good.

That's a good point; we could start with more basic wiki software and customise it to our needs.

QUOTE(Dhesi @ Aug 19 2006, 09:34 PM) View Post

Dont know if this has already been said but it would be good if HSN had notes and resources for AH's such as physics, chemistry, biology. From what ive seen its only computing in the free notes section.

You're right, it would be good. I think we'd like to cover AH Maths ourselves in the next year or so (probably not full notes, though).

As for other courses, a wiki would certainly help with that.

#177 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:07 PM

Another idea could be to have a chat system on the site and have a tutoring system where say someone does an hour of higher chemistry at the same time every week and people could ask questions being sure of a quick reply.

#178 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

I think that's been suggested before.

We decided to stay away from a chat system, primarily because of the resources that would need (web hosting providers generally don't let you run live chat services on their servers), but also the forum format means there's a record of conversations which could be helpful to others.

Without chat, the idea of a tutoring hour is probably not as appealing. Plus, I'd like to think we can get quick replies out to people for most subjects, most of the time biggrin.gif

OK, I'm starting to get the feeling that people post ideas in this thread and I come along and pour a big cold bucket of water over them (the ideas that is tongue.gif ).

It is good to hear your ideas though - I've just been trying to explain why we've not already used them, or probably won't use them soon.

A large part of it is that there's only two of us, and we've got uni to deal with too wacko.gif

#179 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

n

#180 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

i think someone wants to be a mod lol. Anyway, as it happens i emailed my old school about hsn and all i got was laughs and giggles from the teachers so what can i do. However, i do happen to know people use this site as a tool for studying and for getting opinions on exams without having ever joined so even though it seems quite there is still a lot of traffic on the forum....i think

If i am not here i am somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users