Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
whats the answer - HSN forum - Page 5

whats the answer

96 replies to this topic

#81 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

You should probably take your head out your arse for the whole Oxford thing, no one really cares.

For the first question, the sliding ball would go faster. Suppose they are both at the same height and all their potential energy is changed to kinetic energy. Then the rolling ball will have both linear kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy. The sliding ball will have only linear kinetic energy therefore the sliding ball moves faster. Friction between the ball and the plane reinforces the argument. Air resistance probably negligible. For the question about the boat with the lead, I would say that the water level rises. I agree with 1.5 for the hens one.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#82 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Dec 22 2006, 03:49 PM) View Post

That would only happen if there was a force acting upwards on the tanker to push it back to its original position. On its side, it's unbalanced, and the forces won't be in equilibrium, until it sinks and hits the bottom. tongue.gif

Bouyancy is the force acting upwards on it, and the oil woul place a dowards force on the other half of the ship helping balance it.

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Dec 22 2006, 06:44 PM) View Post

You should probably take your head out your arse for the whole Oxford thing, no one really cares.

For the first question, the sliding ball would go faster. Suppose they are both at the same height and all their potential energy is changed to kinetic energy. Then the rolling ball will have both linear kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy. The sliding ball will have only linear kinetic energy therefore the sliding ball moves faster. Friction between the ball and the plane reinforces the argument. Air resistance probably negligible. For the question about the boat with the lead, I would say that the water level rises. I agree with 1.5 for the hens one.

Thank you for telling that anally retentive arsehole that.

#83 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, but if you did what you proposed, ie, fill the other tank with oil, it won't bring the ship back to its original state. It would sink because it's still on its side, and no matter how much oil is in the other tank, it won't bring it back to a stable mass equilibrium.

#84 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

can i just say iv not bragged about the 'oxf***' thing at all, it was that gay, i mean john, that brought it up to use as an insult.
i have to say i dont give a shit, it all started because he wouldnt accept the correct answer so it just shows how childish he is with everything he says. he can try to be smart by saying big words like 'anally' and 'retentive' but the fact is hed get battered.

btw just out of interest what uni do u go 2?

and am i right with letting the oil spill out?

#85 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ Dec 22 2006, 10:16 PM) View Post

can i just say iv not bragged about the 'oxf***' thing at all, it was that gay, i mean john, that brought it up to use as an insult.
i have to say i dont give a shit, it all started because he wouldnt accept the correct answer so it just shows how childish he is with everything he says. he can try to be smart by saying big words like 'anally' and 'retentive' but the fact is hed get battered.

I never brought the Oxford thing up, you did!

Just because I stand by what I believe to be correct does not make me childish.

Thirdly, my use of the phrase "anally retentive" is not an attempt to be smart, it is an example of the level of English that should be shown by someone of our age, you clearly do not show that level of English.

Also, no fact stands that I would get "battered", as it would have happened by now if that was a fact.

Lastly, I am not at university, as I dropped out of the lethargic and mind numbingly boring Mathematics and Computer Science at Strathclyde (it was the latter half that was described).

#86 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

I'm talking about a realistic situation here, so unless you want to destroy the environment and kill a few baby seals, no, your answer isn't right.
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#87 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:46 AM

You've brought Oxford into it for no reason whatsoever. You should certainly be proud that you got a place, but really it's nothing to do with whether you are a ned or not. I'm not sure if you were talking to me or John about the uni, but I'm in my last year at school, so I'm not at uni yet.

#88 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(Blondie @ Dec 23 2006, 12:18 AM) View Post

I'm talking about a realistic situation here, so unless you want to destroy the environment and kill a few baby seals, no, your answer isn't right.

I have an even more unrealistic idea.

Send a guy inside the empty tank to drill a hole, and make a connecting pipe into the second tank, that will sure balance the shop.

#89 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:06 AM

And just to prove a point.

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ Dec 19 2006, 11:48 PM) View Post

sorry john, wrong and wrong. you obviously wont accept the 1st answer,ill just tell you its 1.5 and leave it at that. you're wrong for the second one though but ill give others a chance before explaining. they asked me it at my oxford interview btw.

You first mentioned you're an oxford applicant here.

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ Dec 22 2006, 05:48 PM) View Post

haha, im a ned going to oxford, yas.

Then here.

btw,just let the oil spill out of the tank an the ship will right itself.

Secondly, here!

And technically here, but doesn't really count.

Before those occurrences you posted this topic: Physics at Oxford on the 16th of October 2006

Then you posted the topic Oxford on the 19th of December, and you blatantly posted it in the wrong section(Id Est, boasting, you are an Oxford applicant), before it was moved from General Chat, to After School.

If that is not enough evidence to admit to boasting, then you must have your head in your intestines by now.

#90 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

ok the first instance was to give u background on the question. the other topics have nothing to do with this they are seperate things. i cant believe u think im contrived enough to deliberately mispost, im sorry iv not spent a large percentage of my life on this website and so dont know the ins and outs of it. by the way its quite funny the bit where u said standing up for what i believe in as though your che guevara or something, it doesnt work so well when you're disputing a fact. and also, i wouldnt argue that anally retentive was a good example of english,merely childishness as ive said before. grow up eh.

#91 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

Could we keep flamin' out of the thread? Ruins it for the rest of us. Thanks.
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#92 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ Dec 23 2006, 10:06 PM) View Post

ok the first instance was to give u background on the question. the other topics have nothing to do with this they are seperate things. i cant believe u think im contrived enough to deliberately mispost, im sorry iv not spent a large percentage of my life on this website and so dont know the ins and outs of it. by the way its quite funny the bit where u said standing up for what i believe in as though your che guevara or something, it doesnt work so well when you're disputing a fact. and also, i wouldnt argue that anally retentive was a good example of english,merely childishness as ive said before. grow up eh.

Guess I was correct, your head is in your intestines now.

And the topics on Oxford you created do have something to do with this. It shows that you are trying to attract attention to the fact you are an Oxford applicant, as it is clear that you know where to post such topics as you did post one in the appropriate forum before posting the second Oxford topic.

need I say more?

And Blondie you have your wish, I won't be "flaming" this imbecile any more.

#93 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:17 PM

f*ck off

#94 south lanarkshire jag

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:31 PM

and i thought i was bad huh.gif

if your letting the oil out in your drinks then feel free anywhere else and it wont be welcome

no need to resort to childish swearing rolleyes.gif

#95 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:35 PM

Right Im just going to but in here

I really dont see where paddy was bragging about oxford, but to be fair if I had got into oxford (and im sure most people would be the same) or even just got an interview I would be bragging cos thats impressive!

But anyway wot is the answer to the question about the oil? cos i really want to know!

#96 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(Katrina @ Dec 26 2006, 02:35 PM) View Post

I really dont see where paddy was bragging about oxford, but to be fair if I had got into oxford (and im sure most people would be the same) or even just got an interview I would be bragging cos thats impressive!

Someone once inspired by the powers that be very wisely said, "Oxford? A beta test for Cambridge!" tongue.gif. Right back on topic. biggrin.gif

#97 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(Katrina @ Dec 26 2006, 02:35 PM) View Post

Right Im just going to but in here

But anyway wot is the answer to the question about the oil? cos i really want to know!
Didn't say he was bragging. I implied that going to Oxford doesn't mean you are above common nedism. Going to any university doesn't mean you are above of below anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users