Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
whats the answer - HSN forum - Page 4

whats the answer

96 replies to this topic

#61 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:03 AM

GOOGLE IT!!! It IS 4 days.

And I'm sure I am correct on the second one.

EDIT:

Just googled the second problem, I admit I am wrong.

#62 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

mate,you can find some amount of crap through google if you want, you dont seem to realise its not always 100% right. ive explained that its 1.5 days, that is the answer. who cares if you can find a web site(s) that says otherwise, it doesnt change what the answer is.

#63 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

so my maths teachers are also incorrect?

As well as proven mathematical rules?

#64 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:30 PM

It's cute how few threads seem to contain no flaming whatsoever these days, regardless of who's right or wrong.

Anyway, another question for you my dad gave me once. I have no idea if it's hard or not, but I didn't get it the first time.

So there's a ship in port, and they're filling oil or something onto tank on either side of the ship. Unfortunately, they screwed up, and oil was only going into one tank, causing the ship to tip to the side rather dangerously. So they stop filling it and think for a sec. What are they going to do to stop the ship from capsizing?
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#65 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

They could do many things, here is a few.

1) (the most obvious) Fill the other tank.
2) Don't let the boat sail.
3) Put a few fat guys on the other side of the tanker.
4) Let it sail dangerously.
5) Take smaller amounts of oil and make multiple journeys.

Can't be bothered listing more

#66 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:57 PM

Nope. wink.gif That's what I thought at first. But if you did your first option, the ship would sink. And no Google John.
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#67 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

john mate, gonna just listen for a second. the problem is not a maths one, it is about thinking laterally. the point is that its not the same kind of question like if it takes 1.5 builders to build 1.5 houses in 1.5 days, how long does it take 6 builders to build 6 houses. its seeing if you can think laterally (obv you cant) and the whole point is that you hav e to realise there is a gestation period for laying eggs and therefore a standard unchanging time (1.5 days) for 1 hen to lay 1 egg.

#68 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(Blondie @ Dec 21 2006, 10:57 PM) View Post

Nope. wink.gif That's what I thought at first. But if you did your first option, the ship would sink. And no Google John.

Oil is less dense than water, so the tanker won't sink, no?

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ Dec 21 2006, 11:10 PM) View Post

john mate, gonna just listen for a second. the problem is not a maths one, it is about thinking laterally. the point is that its not the same kind of question like if it takes 1.5 builders to build 1.5 houses in 1.5 days, how long does it take 6 builders to build 6 houses. its seeing if you can think laterally (obv you cant) and the whole point is that you hav e to realise there is a gestation period for laying eggs and therefore a standard unchanging time (1.5 days) for 1 hen to lay 1 egg.

Gestation has nothing to do with laying eggs.

And for the record I am not "mate."

Further more, I am not wasting my time arguing with the likes of you.

#69 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:08 AM

No. The combined mass of the oil, and the density of the tanker, as well as the instability around the centre of mass of the tanker would cause it to sink, as the AVERAGE density of the tanker would increase beyond that of the water when it tips over to the side. That would cause it to sink. I don't think trying to fill the other hold with oil would help, as the boat is on its side. You would need to exert a force larger than the weight of the tanker in the upward direction as well as fill it up to tip it back to its original position. Basic fluid dynamics in effect.

#70 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:13 AM

Average density would still be lower than that of water, as how else would real life tankers float? especially the ones unassisted by those air bag type things.

#71 Untouchable

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

Sorry to butt into this discussion.
As it is so near to Christmas (the season of goodwill and all that) may I suggest you use some of the oil from the boat and some of the eggs from the chickens (obviously not free range chickens) and make a nice big omlette.

#72 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE(John @ Dec 22 2006, 12:13 AM) View Post
Average density would still be lower than that of water, as how else would real life tankers float? especially the ones unassisted by those air bag type things.

Again, basic fluid dynamics. They float because the average density when the boat is upright is less than that of water. Go look up Archimedes' Principle. However, the forces acting on the boat changes when the boat tips to its side. It becomes unstable, and on its side, the density increase because more weight is acting down on the water. Anyway, it's christmas and I can't be arsed arguing my side using archimedes' principle. tongue.gif

#73 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:50 AM

I think they would do what they do in James and the Giant Peach, catch a big load of birds, tie them on to the side of the boat and make them fly places.

#74 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Dec 22 2006, 12:30 AM) View Post

Again, basic fluid dynamics. They float because the average density when the boat is upright is less than that of water. Go look up Archimedes' Principle. However, the forces acting on the boat changes when the boat tips to its side. It becomes unstable, and on its side, the density increase because more weight is acting down on the water. Anyway, it's christmas and I can't be arsed arguing my side using archimedes' principle. tongue.gif

As you fill the second tank up, the forces will balance out, and the bouyancy force will not need to be argued.

#75 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

get it up ye john

#76 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ Dec 22 2006, 12:54 PM) View Post

get it up ye john

You have just proven why I'm not wasting my time arguing with you.

As you have just shown that you have the mentality of a delinquent, even though you have the grades to go to Oxbridge, and the grasp of the English language only a "NED" would show.

#77 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(John @ Dec 22 2006, 11:41 AM) View Post

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Dec 22 2006, 12:30 AM) View Post

As you fill the second tank up, the forces will balance out, and the bouyancy force will not need to be argued.

I don'y know about physicsy stuff, but common sense would say if you filled up the second tank whilst the ship is on its side its just going to make it sink more, its not going to make it magically jump out the water and onto the right way up.

#78 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:56 PM

As you fill the second tank up, the forces acting on each side are going to eventually create an equilibrium, thus the tanker will not sink or capsize.

#79 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

That would only happen if there was a force acting upwards on the tanker to push it back to its original position. On its side, it's unbalanced, and the forces won't be in equilibrium, until it sinks and hits the bottom. tongue.gif

#80 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:48 PM

haha, im a ned going to oxford, yas.

btw,just let the oil spill out of the tank an the ship will right itself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users