Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
whats the answer - HSN forum

whats the answer

96 replies to this topic

#1 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

which reaches the bottom of a slope faster, a ball rolling down the slope or a ball sliding down the sloap?

#2 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:54 PM

Depends on the friction.

If there is friction and it is the same in both cases, then rolling because less energy is lost as heat, sound etc. Whereas with sliding, more energy is lost. But if it is a ball, it can't slide if there is friction surely?

No?

#3 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:17 AM

Erm...it's impossible for a ball to just slide down a slope. It'd eventually roll down the slope anyway. Don't think I've ever heard of a ball staying stationary and sliding down a slope. Sound an impossible feat to me.

#4 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

Well, the only way it could happen is if the slope was frictionless. So it's a silly question, because both can't occur under the same circumstances.

#5 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:32 AM

Even on a theoretically frictionless slope, the force of gravity would drag the ball down, and there is always one point on the ball that is slightly heavier than the rest of the ball, so it'd want to get down, and as it's a curved surface, it'd have to rotate, and thereby roll to get to the point, but when it get to that point, linear acceleration would be greater than the influence of gravity, so the ball won't be able to stop suddenly, so it'd continue to roll down the slope, despite the lack of friction. I think that if the slope was frictionless, it'd just make the ball slide and roll at the same time, as it can't just slide down a slope.

#6 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

A ball with wings FLYING down a slope.

#7 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Dec 3 2006, 11:32 AM) View Post

Even on a theoretically frictionless slope, the force of gravity would drag the ball down, and there is always one point on the ball that is slightly heavier than the rest of the ball, so it'd want to get down, and as it's a curved surface, it'd have to rotate, and thereby roll to get to the point, but when it get to that point, linear acceleration would be greater than the influence of gravity, so the ball won't be able to stop suddenly, so it'd continue to roll down the slope, despite the lack of friction. I think that if the slope was frictionless, it'd just make the ball slide and roll at the same time, as it can't just slide down a slope.

That is the answer i was going to give lol

#8 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:04 PM

University level physics FTW. tongue.gif

#9 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Dec 3 2006, 08:04 PM) View Post

University level physics FTW. tongue.gif

I concur.

#10 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

Isn't a ball sliding down a hill the exact same thing as a ball rolling down a hill? How exactly does a ball slip?
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#11 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Dec 3 2006, 11:32 AM) View Post

aye. what he said tongue.gif
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#12 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(lesley @ Dec 3 2006, 10:34 PM) View Post

Isn't a ball sliding down a hill the exact same thing as a ball rolling down a hill? How exactly does a ball slip?

If the ball slid down the hill, only one point on the ball would touch the ground throughout the journey.

Where as a rolling ball would have multiple points of contact throughout the journey.

#13 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

naw wedge,its a fairly obvious assumption that the ball is a uniform sphere. its def that thy cant happen under the same circumstances. university level physics yer maw

#14 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:30 PM

Yes, but even an uniform sphere would have imperfections. Nothing in life is perfect, and we all know it.

#15 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:52 AM

actually mate in maths when you say 'uniform sphere' thats you saying it has no imperfections whatsoever

#16 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

But this is physics, in physics we say that nothing is perfect.

#17 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

I have one major question to ask

Why does it actually matter?

#18 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:05 AM

He's being a t**t, that's why it matters.

But to be honest it doesn't.

#19 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:45 PM

ok so you're telling me that whenever in physics you're given a quaestion about a projectile you work it out with different centres of mass and so on assuming it irregular? or that when you're asked to work out g for a planet you take it as being irregular and not a point mass?didnt think so.

#20 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

All calculations at Secondary level Physics, are approximations, as we do not use exact figures.

If we used exact figures, we would have to do infinite amount of calculations whenever using 'g' as at each point on the earth it differs ever so slightly, due to the earth, as you should know, not being perfectly smooth or spherical.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users