Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher Music - HSN forum

Advanced Higher Music

12 replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:06 PM

Hi smile.gif

I'm doing Advanced Higher Music this year. I didn't do Higher last year, but I got a 1 for Standard Grade in fourth year. I wondered if anyone else is doing Adv Music or has done Higher Music?? Most of the Adv H Music people are only going to 3 taught periods a week, but I'm going to go to all of them to catch up on Higher concepts etc.

Do you think I will be able to catch up, or will I find it really difficult? I'm also doing Adv Chemistry and Biology this year, so I have quite a lot of free periods to work on music.

Our teacher showed us examples of the essay we have to write comparing two pieces of music and it looks dreadful! I hardly understood any of what they were on about!

Thanks for any help,

Laura smile.gif

#2 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:26 PM

Have you done any music theory? By that I mean the associated boar's theory syllabis. I do not know the content of the Advanced Higher Course but I know someone who said it was really easy. I would advise you knowing theory up to grade 5 regardless of whether it is in the course or not.

Also, as you are doing ah music I assume you have a reasonable tallent in music which suggests you have a reasonable teacher. Why not ask your instrumental teacher(s) for help.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#3 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:51 AM

Hi Werlop,

Well I have been playing the Scottish Folk Harp for 8 years and I have some grade 7/8 pieces, so I think I'll be ok with the practical side of things. However, I have never sat any actual music exams (other than Standard Grade) and I didn't start to learn to read music until about 3/4 years after I started playing (I learned by ear which is the traditional way with harp). So I am probably a bit behind with the theory side of things. I'm sure my harp teacher would help me with that, and she also said she would help me with my composition. One of things I find most difficult is the listening though, and I usually end up guessing most of the answers, which probably isn't a very good idea! unsure.gif

Btw, I know this is a bit off topic, but I left a message for you on the Medicine forum (which has since been closed) just asking where you were thinking of applying and what work experience you had done (I am also applying to study medicine this year). There aren't many people at my school who are interested in medicine, so it would be nice to hear from someone new! tongue.gif

Thank for your help,

Laura smile.gif

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:52 PM

why are you missing out higher music anyway is it full or not available for some other reason

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 sazzlemcbazzle

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:50 PM

Hey Laura, I have just finished school and I took Advanced Higher Music as well as 3 other Highers for my 6th year.I ended up with an A. Our teacher could only give us 5 periods when we are supposed to have 7 but because AH music clashed with my higher Administration I only had 3 periods of Music (1 double period - playing/essay/inventing and 1 single period - of listening - which I must admit was just not enough as the boys mucked about and we never got anything done!). I have to say it was a pretty tough year for me but I managed to get through it!
As long as you are organised and meet the deadlines then you should be on top of things! Make sure you get well on top of your practical playing so that you are ready nearer the time of the exam.

I have to say the only reason I got an A was because my playing/inventing and essay marks were better than my listening. From the sounds of things I think you should be able to cope with Advanced higher Music. You say your theory is not up to scratch - well I have to admit my theory knowledge on the listening concepts was not great either. You said your on grade7/8 pieces which will definatley be suitable for your 1st instrument - must be 20mins long or 30mins depending on what extension you are doing. What are you doing for your 2nd instrument? because that has to be about grade 5/6 standard.

I found the essay pretty hard going and can remember having a few tantrums with paper. The essay Is probably the hardest because you have to write about a composer of your 1st instrument and compare it with another composer of one of your other pieces and then cut out bars to back up your quotes/evidence. However the advantage of the essay is that you can find lots on the internet and from books although some of the time the information is irrelevant! Your teacher should be able to help you in the right direction.

The inventing can be easier than what you expect. I know that when I wrote out my 1st draft my teacher took one look at it and told me to start again! (I was well gutted) but he pointed me in the right direction. He actually told the class to copy the chord structures from very old books and then copy rhythmns from pieces of music and make them your own by adding different key signatures, Time signatues, passing notes, dischords etc.

Do you have private lessons? because I had private teachers for the piano and clarinet and found it really useful because my teachers were able to help me play my pieces really well and it gave me more time to practice since I was so pushed for time with my other subjects.

If you want to know anything else then just let me know. smile.gif

Sarah

#6 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:59 PM

Hi Sarah smile.gif

Thanks, that was really helpful!

I think I should be ok with the practical side of things. Harp is my first instrument, and drumkit is my second. I started with drum lessons last week and found it really difficult at first, but once I'd had a chance to practice on my own I was ok! The drum teacher at my school is really good, he taught me for standard grade and said that I shouldn't have a problem getting to grade 5/6 in time for the exams.

Really, the things I am probably most worried about at the moment are listening and the essay. I always found listening quite hard at standard grade and I don't know many higher concepts and stuff yet. The essay looks dreadful!! Our techer showed us some examples and I'm sure I'll never be able to write that much about a piece of music! Btw, for the essay, do you have to write about a piece composed for your first intrument? In my case, would I have to write about a piece of harp music?

My harp teacher said she would help me with the composition (she composes a lot for the harp and some of her pieces were so difficult that they had to introduce grade 8 for harp to cover them! But I'm sure I won't be composing anything that impressive!!! tongue.gif ) I never know where to begin in composing, whether to start with the chords or the melody, and whenever i come up with anything half decent, it always sounds too simple!!

Anyway, thank you very much for all your help. I know I'll have to put in a lot of work, but I have quite a lot of free periods a week, so I should have plenty of time to put the extra work in (I hope!!) smile.gif

Thanx,

Laura smile.gif

#7 sazzlemcbazzle

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

Hello Again,
For the essay I wrote about a piece of music I was playing for my 1st Instrument (which was piano). I compared it with another piece of music I was also playing for the piano. So In all I wrote(compared and contrasted) about 2 pieces of Music for piano. Im sure my teacher said that it had to be on your first instrument and not your second but I could be wrong - you would have to ask your teacher. Once you get the essay finished and out of the way you feel much better!
smile.gif

#8 ayemckay

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Location:in a room, in a house, in a town, in a city, in a country, in a continent etc etc

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:16 PM

Hi!
I'm doing AH music this year, and i did higher last year and the year before that i did int 2. i got an A last year, and the best advice i could give you for learning concepts is just to memorise them as soon as you can!
has your teacher given you a sheet from the SQA with heaps of concepts on it? it has ones for all different levels and is really helpful?
if you haven't got it, pm me and i'm sure i could send it to you.
if you memorise all those concepts and find out what they mean, you'll be able to pass the listening no problem at all.
as for the essays, you don't have to limit yourself to doing specific pieces that you are playing, or at least you don't at my school. i'm a pianist and flautist and i'm planning on doing my essay on a specific composer and contrasting two of his pieces. my teacher says that the main thing is about being able to comment on the music and being able to read scores and things like that. one of my friends is doing a completely different aspect as she is going to base her report on how people portray the violin as a violent character in music.
hope this helps!
also, i'm planning on applying for medicine this year too - i'm deciding whether to do music or medicine when i leave school. where are you applying to?
have you had much work experience?

jennifer
xxx

#9 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:11 PM

Hi Jennifer smile.gif

AH Music hasn't been too bad so far. Our teacher is getting us to do essays on Baroque/Clasical periods etc. It has helped me to learn some of the concepts specific to those periods. I'm still behind the rest of the class though!

I have a vague idea of what I'm going to do for the essay, but I'll prob end up changing my mind loads of times! tongue.gif

Medicine or music, wow! Not much difference there! lol tongue.gif

I'm applying to Newcastle, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Dundee. Havn't had chance to visit Dundee or Edinburgh yet (have been a bit disorganised!) so hope I get offered a place at Newcastle or Sheffield!

I have tried to get as much Work Exp. as possible, but I know it's not easy, especially if you have no medical connections ( I have no medics in the family, and we don't really have any 'doctor-friends'). I have spent time in a few local hospitals and GP surgeries, as well as a day in my local pharmacy and a week in medical laboratories. I play my harp at a school for severely handicapped children and I also play at local nursing and care homes. I have been decided on medicine for about 2 years now, so I have had quite a bit of time to get things organised. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with, I don't want to say too much just now in case I end up telling you a load of really obvious stuff you already know and I don't want to sound patronising smile.gif I know how irritating that can be!

Where are you thinking of applying, and do you have any work experience?

Not many people at my school are interested in medicine, so it's good to hear from someone new!!

Thanx for your help with AH Music,

Laura smile.gif

#10 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:20 PM

Hey there smile.gif
I'm doing Higher Music with two periods a week (one history and one invention) and I'm finding it fine so far smile.gif
All subjects seem a bit nasty at first so don't worry wink.gif

#11 Audrey

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:27 PM

Yo, I did AH in 5th yr as I did my higher at standard grade. It was very challenging and I disliked the essay work. I had to use lunchtimes to practice my cor anglais but my piano was already grade 8 which made things a lot easier for me. It was vvv hard to fit it in with my other 4 highers but I got there in the end. Laura, you should have no problems. Good luck!

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:42 PM

cor anglais

know there is an instrument you don't hear about everyday likei heard about it for the first time today , in an AH music class of all things!!

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:23 PM

Do you notice the weird thing about the cor anglais and the french horn:

Cor Anglais: litterally means English Horn, but is written in French
French Horn: Means French horn (surprisingly) but is written in English!
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users