Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How very appealing - HSN forum - Page 2

How very appealing

34 replies to this topic

#21 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Aug 22 2004, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE(MEN @ Aug 20 2004, 09:10 PM)
Does it really matter what your bands are?

Its the Grade that counts.  Uni's want to know the grade, not the bands.

View Post

It matters what the bands are when you're appealing, because you can only go up one band. If you got a band 6, if you appealed you'd go up to a band 5 if you got it which would still be a C.

View Post

for 80% in maths unless you had quite a hard paper its difficult to say if u will get an upgrade

sorry to the english person who got one mark off an a in the prelim. i genuinely think that you may not be successful with your appeal. the higher english and chemistry appeals panel are really strict especially for grade a's!!!

10% rule is not alwayd practical and schools in my area dont really follow it closely. if ur school has a lot of funding thery will pretty much submit whatever appeals they want. dont worry, if you did not meet your estimate grade by one grade you should be able to appeal.

YOU CANNOT APPEAL FOR BANDS! IT IS ONLY A GRADE E.G. NO 6 TO 5 OR EVEN 5 TO 4 AS ITS EITHER AN A, B, C, D OR NA AFTER APPEAL.

#22 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:13 PM

Personally i disagree with SQA appeals. it should only be if you are unable to sit the exam. i have managed to get thru without appeals and it kind of removes consistency in achievement as we are all sitting the same sqa exam but different prelims. i have also known teachers to use material which other ppl have seen before which is really unfair, even tho this may be in the minority.

#23 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Aug 22 2004, 07:26 PM)
I wanted an appeal for AH Art which I got a C in and was predicted and A....but there is only 15 in my class and cos of the 10% rule, my teacher can only appeal for 2 peeps....and he gives priority to those who failed (having a selection of bout 10 ppl to chose from who were ALL predicted to pass!)  mad.gif

I am gettin an appeal for AH Maths....I got a B and was predicted an A with havin 85-90% in my 2 prelims....my teacher said he is 99% sure I would be successful as I had a band 3.....but who knows.....

You say that those goin to uni will find out bout their appeals at end of september....I got an unconditional for uni...so dont urgently require my results...but wil I still find out earlier coz I am goin to uni????

Thanx!

Shandogg

View Post

no shandogg your appeal is not an "urgent" one

#24 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 22 2004, 12:47 PM)
actually that isn't actually true it has happened that people have gone from a C to a A that rule to which you are refering is an old one form the old higher which is no longer used

View Post

c to a !?!! a teacher said you could only go up one grade!

#25 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(james1 @ Aug 22 2004, 10:13 PM)
Personally i disagree with SQA appeals.  it should only be if you are unable to sit the exam.  i have managed to get thru without appeals and it kind of removes consistency in achievement as we are all sitting the same sqa exam but different prelims.  i have also known teachers to use material which other ppl have seen before which is really unfair, even tho this may be in the minority.

View Post

Maybe you were lucky. Some people are given grades which do not represent their ability in comparison with others awarded higher grades, especially in more subjective subjects. There will never be a year when the SQA markers get everyone's grade absolutely correct.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#26 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(james1 @ Aug 22 2004, 09:14 PM)
I wanted an appeal for AH Art which I got a C in and was predicted and A....but there is only 15 in my class and cos of the 10% rule, my teacher can only appeal for 2 peeps....and he gives priority to those who failed (having a selection of bout 10 ppl to chose from who were ALL predicted to pass!)  mad.gif

I am gettin an appeal for AH Maths....I got a B and was predicted an A with havin 85-90% in my 2 prelims....my teacher said he is 99% sure I would be successful as I had a band 3.....but who knows.....

You say that those goin to uni will find out bout their appeals at end of september....I got an unconditional for uni...so dont urgently require my results...but wil I still find out earlier coz I am goin to uni????

Thanx!

Shandogg

View Post

View Post

no need for the sarcasm...and dont say its not sarcasm..... I was only askin if appeals are given out to those goin to uni or those who have conditionals at the end of september

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#27 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 22 2004, 12:47 PM)
actually that isn't actually true it has happened that people have gone from a C to a A that rule to which you are refering is an old one form the old higher which is no longer used

View Post

yeh...last year...2 ppl in my skool went from a C to an A....one was in H Art and the other in H Maths
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#28 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Aug 23 2004, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE(james1 @ Aug 22 2004, 09:14 PM)

Thanx!

Shandogg

View Post

View Post

no need for the sarcasm...and dont say its not sarcasm..... I was only askin if appeals are given out to those goin to uni or those who have conditionals at the end of september

View Post

no need to jump down my throat: lighten up

the sqa refer to such appeals as "urgent appeals"

#29 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(james1 @ Aug 22 2004, 09:13 PM)
Personally i disagree with SQA appeals.  it should only be if you are unable to sit the exam.  i have managed to get thru without appeals and it kind of removes consistency in achievement as we are all sitting the same sqa exam but different prelims.  i have also known teachers to use material which other ppl have seen before which is really unfair, even tho this may be in the minority.

View Post

I actually agree with that. I'm not asking for the appeal, my teacher's just desparate to get more A's out of her class. I haven't seen her since we got back but I can feel it in my bones that she's going to scream at me for not getting an A. But the bottom line is, I got a B. It's the best I could do on the day and I'm quite happy with it. I don't mind if I get my appeal or not.

#30 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

I didn't ask for my appeal either! It was only by chance that I went up with a friend to hand books in, and my English teacher told me. She thinks I deserve an A, and if I get it then fair play but I am happy with a B! I was one mark of an A in the prelim, so really I haven't got much hope, so I would agree with James there!

I wouldn't say I am totally against appeals, I suppose it depends on how good your results are where your bias lies. However they shouldn't have the "culture" of being an easy option of getting a good award.
Mark

#31 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:01 PM

actually i also don't agree with appeals but the system is there and i would be a fool not to use it to my advantage

Appeals are however not at all an easy way of getting a good grade because you are relieing on your teacher having given constant testing to a high standard and the same with marking not to mantion remembering to enter you in the first place

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#32 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(sparky @ Aug 23 2004, 06:15 PM)
I didn't ask for my appeal either! It was only by chance that I went up with a friend to hand books in, and my English teacher told me. She thinks I deserve an A, and if I get it then fair play but I am happy with a B!

View Post

That's why Shandy is fantastic. tongue.gif

I'm not seeing her son, honest. *whistles*

#33 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:23 PM

For anyone that wants to know, here are the success rates for (Higher) appeals:

2000 - 43%
2001 - 38%
2002 - 40%
2003 - 45%

#34 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:01 PM

I'm getting two appeals put in one for english ( D - C) then in Maths (C-B). unsure.gif

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#35 R-H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(james1 @ Aug 22 2004, 09:08 PM)
YOU CANNOT APPEAL FOR BANDS!  IT IS ONLY A GRADE E.G. NO 6 TO 5 OR EVEN 5 TO 4 AS ITS EITHER AN A, B, C, D OR NA AFTER APPEAL.

View Post

You can appeal for bands - my girlfriend got a band 2 A in Higher History, she got an appeal and ended up with a band 1 A. Sometimes I think there's no justice in the world biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users