Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The Korean Question - HSN forum

The Korean Question

30 replies to this topic

#1 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

I'm sure you'll all have heard the recent news that the DPRK plans to test a nuclear weapon in the near future. And then reports today of DPRK soldiers crossing the DMZ lines with warning shots fired by South Korean troops.

So what is it all about? Do they even have a nuclear weapon? Is it another attempt to cause concessions from the Americans? A real threat? Will anyone dare try to stop them?

Perhaps a more pertinent question - should they have nuclear weapons? They must be one of the few countries who could legitimately call it a deterent.

So - thoughts?

#2 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

Should any country have Nuclear Weapons?

Is a better question.

I think no country should have nuclear weapons, as it allows the possibility of Nuclear War to happen even if they say they wont use them, the possibility is still there.

#3 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:45 PM

I'd agree - but those countries which already have nuclear weapons are not going to give them up, unfortunately.

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

that is very true

#5 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:25 AM

Indeed. But they've probably got a good reason. There are terrorist groups that are likely to use the fact that a country doesn't have much of a defence, to launch a nuclear attack, and not worry so much about a retaliation on this sort of scale.

#6 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

the fact that George Bush is kind of in charge of the worlds largest stockpile of nuclear arms scares me more than ol Jong Il testing a few
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#7 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

You sure it's the world's largest stockpile. Don't the Russians also have a large amount of nuclear weapons too?

#8 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:31 AM

Yes, but not as big, many of them were decomissioned if i remember correctly.

#9 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Oct 9 2006, 10:25 AM) View Post

Indeed. But they've probably got a good reason. There are terrorist groups that are likely to use the fact that a country doesn't have much of a defence, to launch a nuclear attack, and not worry so much about a retaliation on this sort of scale.

I might be misunderstanding your post...but how can you retaliate against a terrorist group by using nuclear weapons?

Edit: The Russians have done a lot of decomissioning, as illustrated below:

IPB Image

Edit edit:

North Korea claims nuclear test

North Korea says it has carried out its first test of a nuclear weapon.

It said the underground test, carried out in defiance of international warnings, was a success and had not resulted in any leak of radiation.

The US said intelligence had detected a seismic event at a suspected test site and Russia said it was "100% certain" a nuclear test had occurred.

So they've done it. And there I was thinking it might just be a hoax to force the Americans to make concessions.

#10 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Well, seeing as America's attitude is basically "do unto thee 10 times worse than ye do unto us." as witnessed by the recent war against terrorism and bombing all these countries, it is safe to assume that if a group of terrorists nuked the USA, they'd nuke them all in retaliation.

#11 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:40 PM

But surely if terrorists nuked the US, then at least them, if not most of the world would be dead anyway?

#12 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

Donna, it depends upon the power of the nuclear warheads.

#13 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:59 PM

I do realise this, but there is a chance that the dust and debris from the explosion, could go into the atmosphere, block out the sun, stop plants growing, therefore stopping the food chain at the roots, therefore mass starvation would ensue, therefore we would all die. Rendering us unable to retaliate.

Or, since there isn't very much of a chance to be testing nuclear warheads, any data we would have on how destructive them would be very unreliable, so they could blow up any area with a nuclear bomb, and if it is larger than any that has been properly tested who knows what it could do.

#14 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

But the data collected from smaller tests, can be applied to a larger bomb and a very accurate prediction can be computed.

And would also depend on the weather that day happy.gif

#15 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Oct 9 2006, 04:08 PM) View Post

Well, seeing as America's attitude is basically "do unto thee 10 times worse than ye do unto us." as witnessed by the recent war against terrorism and bombing all these countries, it is safe to assume that if a group of terrorists nuked the USA, they'd nuke them all in retaliation.

Ahhh, so you mean nuke all the countries on America's blacklist?

I was struggling to figure out how they would go about finding a specific few people and then nuking them. laugh.gif

Another thought on it - Kim has basically just guaranteed the replacement of Trident, costing anywhere from £25 billion to £75 billion to taxpayers. So yeah, f*ck you Dear Leader.

Edit: Most nuclear weapons that survive today are not as powerful as the ones being produced at the height of the Cold War were (especially by the Soviets).

The one tested by DPRK is likely to be around the size of the bombs used at the end of WW2. Scary to think that essentially ranks as a total minnow compared to the largest of the Soviet weapons - the Tsar Bomba. Unless I'm mistaken, it is the single most powerful device ever used in human history.

#16 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

Yip, I meant nuking all the countries on America's blacklist. tongue.gif

#17 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Oct 9 2006, 05:41 PM) View Post

There's probably about 100 countries on there though rolleyes.gif

#18 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

Exactly. That why the USA would nuke them, make a hard job easier! tongue.gif

#19 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(Nathan @ Oct 9 2006, 05:53 PM) View Post

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Oct 9 2006, 05:41 PM) View Post

There's probably about 100 countries on there though rolleyes.gif

Hmm, I hope we are in the 21 safe countries lol

#20 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

And I was looking forward to a serious debate, which there hasn't been here in some time. sad.gif

I don't believe that any country should have any kind of weapons never mind nuclear weapons, and in a perfect world they would all be disarmed, but no country would be willing to do this because it would make them vulnerable.

And I don't think a full scale nuclear war is very likely to happen, because even though the direct damage would be in limited places, the long term indirect damage is far too dangerous shown by the Chernobyl disaster in the 80's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users