Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Differentiation Homework - HSN forum

Differentiation Homework

13 replies to this topic

#1 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Graphics, vBulletin, PHP, Hacking, Web scripts, Maths, and more...

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hello there,

I'm stuck on question 6. Could anyone explain it to me? In general I know what is it about, I just don't know how to get values of this letters.

I attach the question in PDF.

Attached Files

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
---------------------------------------------
Going to Uni next year!

#2 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

sketch the graph of the derivitive and they should become clear wink.gif

#3 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Graphics, vBulletin, PHP, Hacking, Web scripts, Maths, and more...

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

Do you mean to make a graph and get the values from graph? There isn't any way to do it without sketching (I mean get the values from calculating)?
Going to Uni next year!

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

You will not get a number, as you do not have the equation, or enough information to calculate the values.

But if you sketch the graph of the derivitive(if you dont know how to this just ask and i will explain) and you should be able to figure it out.

EDIT: I wasnt thinking properly lol

#5 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

Hmm, ok.. I just thought that if I have the angle ( tan 0 (theta) = m ), then I have the gradient, so I can get some values without drawing. Derivative is like getting graph of f'(x) from f(x), if I'm wrong, correct me smile.gif
Going to Uni next year!

#6 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

No, you're quite right. You can find a value for each of those asked in part (a).

Here's a hint: The gradient of y=f(x) at x=a is f'(a).

Notice that (b,c) and (d,e) are stationary points, what is the gradient at a stationary point?

Once you see the relationship between the derivative and the gradient, you can also find f'(0).

Any thoughts?
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#7 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 3 2006, 06:58 PM) View Post

No, you're quite right. You can find a value for each of those asked in part (a).

Here's a hint: The gradient of y=f(x) at x=a is f'(a).

Notice that (b,c) and (d,e) are stationary points, what is the gradient at a stationary point?

Once you see the relationship between the derivative and the gradient, you can also find f'(0).

Any thoughts?

I knew there must some way to work it out. Gradient at stationary points is always 0.

So now I know that gradient at this points equals to 0, so f'(b)=0, is it? But how to work out the number?
Going to Uni next year!

#8 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Yes, you're right about f'(b), but (d,e) is also a stationary point so you can apply the same argument for f'(d).

You can work out the gradient of the tangent, and this is a tangent at x = 0. Since the gradient of the tangent at x = a is given by f'(a), this means that f'(a) is equal to whatever the gradient of the tangent is at x = a.

I'm deliberately not just telling you the answer tongue.gif, does that help?

#9 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 4 2006, 01:51 PM) View Post

Yes, you're right about f'(b), but (d,e) is also a stationary point so you can apply the same argument for f'(d).

You can work out the gradient of the tangent, and this is a tangent at x = 0. Since the gradient of the tangent at x = a is given by f'(a), this means that f'(a) is equal to whatever the gradient of the tangent is at x = a.

I dont know why i didnt actually say that, becuase i wrote it down >_<

Maybe i should stop doing maths while hungry lol

#10 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 4 2006, 01:51 PM) View Post

I know you won't give me an answer biggrin.gif But I now understand, thanks for help you all smile.gif

At a turning point, the tangent to the curve has gradient zero i.e.  f (x) = 0

Thus  f'(b) = 0, f'(d) = 0 The tangent at  x = 0 has gradient tan(45) i.e. 1 so  f'(0) = 1

Can you check and correct my work if i'm wrong?
Going to Uni next year!

#11 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Oh, I have another problem.. I am not quite sure about the answer to question 1f

I got two answers, one is 5X to the power of 4, and the second one is 3X squared + 2ab X to the power of -3.

I am not sure what to do with X to the power of 3 - ab/X squared.

I hope I described it well. wink.gif
Going to Uni next year!

#12 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(d2vid @ Oct 4 2006, 02:54 PM) View Post

Thus  f'(b) = 0, f'(d) = 0 The tangent at  x = 0 has gradient tan(45) i.e. 1 so  f'(0) = 1

Can you check and correct my work if i'm wrong?

Perfect.

For 1(f), you just have to remember that a and b are constants, so you just treat them like you would any number. You can write:

\begin{align*}y=\frac1ax^3-bx^{-2}\end{align*}

Then differentiate as normal, treating a and b as constants, i.e. just use the rule \frac{d}{dx}\left(cx^n\right)=ncx^{n-1} on each term.

(I got \displaystyle\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{3x^2}a+\frac{2b}{x^3}.)

#13 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:55 PM

Thank you guys! Much appreciated! I will be helping people too when I'll finish the course wink.gif Thanks again!
Going to Uni next year!

#14 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

No problem, that's why we're here!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users