Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Revision! - HSN forum

Revision!

15 replies to this topic

#1 dannyli189

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

Hello,
I'm studying higher chemistry this year and i want to ask if you's know a good way in studying for it? I find that there is quite a lot to remember. Also, i've bought pastpapers so i'll be doing them aswell. Who knows where i can get old chigher chesmitry pastpapers?
Regards,
Danny Li

#2 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

The best way to revise is as always to keep on top of it the whole year round. Also when you are doing other units keep looking back to previous sections. For older past papers the best thing to do is contact your school. Doing them as far back as you can really helps as you find patterns in questions and might even see a really old question turn up in your paper if you're lucky.

#3 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

Have you asked you teacher about old past papers? Some teachers keep them.
Make sure you leave a past paper or two for the run-up to the exam, just so you can tell where you need to revise when you only have a day or so left. I found the biggest use for me was seeing what I had been ignoring/forgetting.

#4 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:52 PM

I'll sell you old past papers.
Mindmaps on each topic are good and writing your own condensed notes is also good. George and steve can also provide you with problem questions if you ask them nicely. There used to be far more information on Chemistry on this site but then the sqa said people could potentially rely on it too much. So yeh PM or email George and/or Steve.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#5 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(dannyli189 @ Oct 1 2006, 05:08 PM) View Post

Hello,
I'm studying higher chemistry this year and i want to ask if you's know a good way in studying for it? I find that there is quite a lot to remember. Also, i've bought pastpapers so i'll be doing them aswell. Who knows where i can get old chigher chesmitry pastpapers?
Regards,
Danny Li

If you ask your teacher they should be able to photocopy you the older past papers. Mine did that for the whole class back in the days of S5.

Best way to revise is keep on doing the questions and read your notes regularly. Even if you spend 10 mins each night covering what you did in class it should help you to revise. There's also loads of chemistry help/note books out there. I had a Chemcord one that was great. And you can always ask your teacher or somone on here!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#6 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

Yes the Chemcord one is good but its also good to condense the chemistry notes and write them in your own words (obviously not where a scientific word is needed though). Mindmaps helped me prepare but that is only relevant at exam time. If you make a mindmap there is only so much you can fit on the page therefore you will summarise only the key points ie important equations, key statements and assumptions etc
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#7 BuckminsterFullerene

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:34 AM

Hello, Personally, What I've been doing is questions from the Chemcord Blue Book, try and buy Answers to the book as well. Really does Help. Alternatively the Leckie and Leckie ones are pretty alright. Really need an A!
Chemical Engineering - Edinburgh

Conditional

#8 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:46 PM

Chemistry and Maths at Glasgow...good choice wink.gif

#9 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

ohmy.gif It certainly is not

I much prefer the chemical engineering at Strathclyde! biggrin.gif

and its closer to the top.

It was only a matter of time before i joined in, but i wont be putting any kind of thing in my signature.

Anyway, come to strathclyde, its closer to McDonalds wink.gif (And Burger King if thats your preference)

#10 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(Donna @ Oct 9 2006, 06:12 PM) View Post

tis tongue.gif

just leaving the best 'til last wink.gif

It was only a matter of time before i joined in, but i wont be putting any kind of thing in my signature.

Are you a member of MacLeod's camp then. Anyone that adds academic stuff to their sig is a geek?

Anyway, come to strathclyde, its closer to McDonalds wink.gif (And Burger King if thats your preference)

Meh...we have a subway on campus tongue.gif

#11 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(Nathan @ Oct 9 2006, 06:18 PM) View Post

tis tongue.gif

Are you a member of MacLeod's camp then. Anyone that adds academic stuff to their sig is a geek?

I certainly am a member of MacLeod's camp, you's lot are far geekier than us. biggrin.gif

Plus, if you're desperate for a subway they'res one on Hope St!!

Oh and, we have a Greggs thats closer!!

#12 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

Chemistry sucks.

Physics is far better.

And goto Abertay, much much better than Strathclyde and Glasgow( My arse it isn't)

#13 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Donna @ Oct 9 2006, 06:28 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nathan @ Oct 9 2006, 06:18 PM) View Post

tis tongue.gif

I certainly am a member of MacLeod's camp, you's lot are far geekier than us. biggrin.gif

Plus, if you're desperate for a subway they'res one on Hope St!!

Oh and, we have a Greggs thats closer!!

Pfft Greggs is on Byres Road. And there's a pizza place. And an amazing place near Botanic Gardens that does crepes (nutella ones!!) and baguettes. And the QM does amazing meals.

And we have two unions.

Obviously your choice of uni should be based on what the food is like nearby tongue.gif

Anyway, good luck with the chemistry! It gets easier once you get to uni!

#14 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

what is it you're studying stars?

#15 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(Nathan @ Oct 11 2006, 12:23 AM) View Post

what is it you're studying stars?

Last year was Biology, chemistry and French.

This year is ALL biology. 12 modules of it. Which is a lot.

How's the chem going? Have you had the curly arrows yet? Bob likes them a lot.

#16 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Oct 13 2006, 06:45 PM) View Post

This year is ALL biology. 12 modules of it. Which is a lot.

Ouch unsure.gif

How's the chem going? Have you had the curly arrows yet? Bob likes them a lot.

Chem's going good so far. Quite boring though. No curly arrows yet cause we haven't had Bob for any lectures yet. We've only had Dr Lennon (i think that's his name) so far for periodic table crap. 'Tis enough to put you to sleep rolleyes.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users