Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
A few homework questions - HSN forum

A few homework questions

4 replies to this topic

#1 Gillz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gillian and my main interests are: running, cycling, going to the gym, shopping (more of an addiction than an interest!), rock/indie music and going out with friends.<br /><br />I am currently in sixth year, studying AH Geography, H Maths and Crash H Business Management.<br /><br />I've applied for a mixture of Geography and Business at uni and have had some offers back, so looking forward immensely to starting uni next year wherever that may be! <br /><br />Standard Grade results:1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3 for English, Geography, Admin, Physics, Chemistry, R.M.P.S, German, Art and Maths respectively.<br /><br />Fifth Year results: A,A,A,B,C for Int 2 Maths, H Physics, H Geography, H Chem and H English respectively.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

Was unsure as to how to go about answering these questions on my homework. Any help would be much appreciated smile.gif

Solve for 0 lessorequal.gif x lessorequal.gif 360 , correct to 1 decimal place where necessary:

a) 3 cos power2.gifx - cosx = 0
b) 12 sin power2.gifx - 5sinx - 2 = 0

a) State the maximum value of 10 / 110 - 20x + x power2.gif

#2 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

1)

What you got to do here is to rearrange it, so you have the integers on one side and all the cosines/sines on the other, and you should be ab le to solve from there

2) And i'm not sure on this one lol

I'll get back to it

#3 Untouchable

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

1. a) take out cosx as a common factor and this should give you
cosx(3cosx - 1) = 0
therefore cosx = 0 or 3cosx - 1 = 0
solve both equations

b) Let X = sinx
Rewrite equation 12X power2.gif -5X - 2 = 0
Factorise to slove this equation
Then substitiute X = sinx and solve resultant trig equations

2) Complete the square for the expression 110 - 20x + x power2.gif
to get the minimum value of the function f(x) = 110 - 20x + x power2.gif
substitute this value into the fraction (i.e.make this value the denominator) to obtain the maximum value of the fraction

#4 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

Bit late for a reply now. tongue.gif

#5 Untouchable

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

Just joined the forum. Trying out the process of replying to a problem. huh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users