Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Using proper English on the internet - HSN forum

Using proper English on the internet

37 replies to this topic

#1 Abyssinia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

I was wondering what people here think about using correct spelling, punctuation, grammar etc. on the internet in informal situations.

Personally, I use this everywhere - on internet forums, network sites, even MSN Messenger. On many forums, including this one, so do many other people. But on sites with people from my school, and MSN Messenger, I'm in a total minority.

I just don't see why so many people use sloppy English and see the need to substitute single letters in place of certain pronouns and "sounds". Seriously, some of the stuff written on my school's Bebo section is deplorable. And I don't understand why so many people are like that, given that on so many forums most users seem to use at least partly correct syntax. People might use the excuse that it's too much of an "effort", which is utter rubbish if you're actually used to doing it.

I don't mean to come across as an old moaning git here. I'm just interested to hear if anyone else out there thinks the same, and confirms that I'm not in a one man boat here.

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

Yes, I'm the same most of the time, although I do switch to a bit of slang sometimes, for example; "yep", "yup", "naw", "wee"...etc. It keeps it informal, I see no reason to use proper grammar and punctuations all the time. If the other person can understand me, that's good enough for me. smile.gif

#3 KDYFloorballer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Floorball, Football, Music, Drawing, Technology

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

I use proper grammar on the internet although I do use abbreviations a lot (i.e. lol, rofl). I like to keep things informal so use some slang at times like Wedge. Unless the discussion calls for it to be otherwise and I don't mind people lacking in spelling and punctuation unless it is totally unreadable or, in other words, not text abbreviations the whole time. I h8 hvn 2 red rubsh lyk dis!

PS: Where is the spellchecker? I can't see it. ph34r.gif

#4 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

Yeah. I've noticed that neds tend to use leet-speak now and whatever they say is totally indecipherable, for example; "4M W3W G00D! W1T Y3 BN UP T43?" or some other pish like that.

#5 Hydraton31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

I always use the English I would use for anything else. Basically when I write a letter I use the best English I can and, for me personally, I see no reason why the internet should be an exception. Though I can read most of the abbreviations people use (probably out of sheer laziness) I sometimes find what is written to be totally incomprehensible which can be rather annoying. I understand we live in a time poor society but surely it does not take a lot more time to type 'hello' than 'hl0', or just 'hi'. Anyway, maybe I am just a cranky old timer...

#6 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

I don't mind, as lng as ppl dnt mke evry wrd miss a fooqin letr lol

#7 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:46 PM

It annoys me after a while, but I suppose, so long as I can read it without having to sit and decipher the damn thing. I always use proper english, and proper grammar (capital letters, full stops at the end of statements, etc) particularly on online games, and when chatting with people I don't know very well. It helps on the Internet, because meeting someone in a game and showing that you're able to type, enables them to have more patience with you when you're still getting to know the game. Also in arguments, how are you going to be able to take someone seriously if they insist on using the minimum amount of letters possible?
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#8 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

Precisely. I never take people seriously if they rant at me in gibberish like "omfg u r stupid n gay!" I'm always just laughing at them when they rant excessive amount of rubbish at me, hence sometimes I just unblock them and flame them if I need cheering up. Cruel, am I? tongue.gif

#9 KDYFloorballer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Floorball, Football, Music, Drawing, Technology

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

Hehe
I tend to just laugh at them instead of arguing too.

PS: Is there a spellchecker? If so, where?

#10 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:18 PM

I tend to use proper english with grammer and spelling the best I can manage (which isn't always great). It's probably becuase of the other groups I chat to on the internet often have "no chatspeak" rules and it rubs off on me. I don't mind some slang though, adds personality.
Sometimes I think I type quite posh, I don't speak like that, it's just my fingers.

#11 Alz

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

wat r us mumblin abot? i dnt ndrstnd lol wats so bad bout talkin dis wai??/

i r so l33t

#12 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

I don't mind it too much as long as I can understand it. What does piss me off is when people take it into the "outside world," like in uni work etc. I think it's a pretty poor show that our lecturers have to ask us to use proper english when we e-mail them, surely it's common sense?
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#13 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

Txt speak annoys me to no end. You have a whole keyboard at your disposal SO USE IT. It may save some time typing stuff out but it takes people longer to decipher what you're saying. I even use proper english in txt messages. Taking maybe a second or two extra per sentence to type out a few words properly isn't too much to ask is it?

#14 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

I generally try to use proper English, but my grammar is awful and sometimes I am far too lazy to use proper English. Only time I use proper English in text is either when it's a crap lecture or im utterly drunk and want to give the appearance I am sober
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#15 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:53 PM

Yeah I also hate it when folk type like theres no a, e, i, o, u. I usually type my words out in full , but do use some abbreviations.

I'm not famous for saying perfectly grammatical sentences though - neither online or offline!

At least by typing ye's cannae hear the infamous Sharno mumbles! tongue.gif

#16 Alz

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

I'm all for talking with full grammar and proper punctuation, as far as reasonably possible.

Txt speak has always annoyed me, but lately, I've found myself wanting to strangle those who construct sentences almost solely with animated gifs.

IPB Image tIPB Image tIPB Imagenk IPB Image IPB Image is IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

#17 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

I hate it when people type as though they're texting. It bugs me no end. I generally respond with a, "PARDON? What does that SAY?!"

Typing in proper English is so much easier - both to do and to read. When I do try my "taking the piss out of moron typing", I find I have to think about it. I was on someone's Bebo page the other day, and I was like, "Why are you using 'a' instead of 'I'? How's that quicker?"

I even find when I text people, I do it in proper English. If it has to go onto three messages, so be it. I do get 900 free a month after all tongue.gif

See when I meet a guy for the first time, and we swap numbers and MSN addresses and so on, I always find myself cringing if he's the type to say, "Klkl!" or "c ya l8r". And it does make me think twice about it.

I'm a freak, aren't I?

I've been message board-ing since '99 (I think!) and at first, I did type like a moron, briefly. Until they knocked it out of me at Neonteen.

#18 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:47 PM

i, for the most part, type in proper english on message boards. when i'm on msn, or i'm texting, i use a kind of adapted version of what people would call txt speak.
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#19 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

On message boards i try my best to make what i'm saying look all proper. In other words make me look all intelligent and punctuation-alised.

My typing on MSN, however, is a complete farce. I can barely understand what i've typed by looking at it. My poor friends. But they keep talking , so i must be doing something right.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#20 Pete

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

I type properly in fully structured sentences at all times. And I still type faster with one hand than the rest of my school does with two. For example, here is exactly what someone on my MSN contact list has for a display name right now:

lol cami ya dik campin wiz sum laf lol

Obviously blocked. I block anyone who doesn't type at least partially properly. Spell "you" with a y and an o and you've got my attention for another five seconds. Deciphering 1337-speak is not worth my effort.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users