Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Modern Studies Dissertation Help - HSN forum

Modern Studies Dissertation Help

3 replies to this topic

#1 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

Hi, I'm doing AH Modern Studies this year and the dissertation seems pretty daunting but looks like it could be fun when I've figured out exactly what I'm doing!

Just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on how to write a good dissertation? Nobody from my school has ever got an A in AH Modern, I don't know if that's due to poor dissertations but I really want to try and make mine good as it'll lift the pressure off slightly at exam time in May.

#2 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:28 AM

What is your dissertation topic? Generally though, a decent plan is always useful - it'll keep you on topic and stop you wandering. Also, try and include a variety of research methods, and make sure to evaluate them. Another point is to keep a record of all the sources you use - you'll have to list them in your bibliography and reference them in the main text of the dissertation (in footnotes), and it is unbelievably frustrating, and a complete waste of time, having to search through books for references and quotes. You may also want to try the Principal Assesors report for advice. Hope that helps, though if you give me your topic I'll try and give more specific advice!
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#3 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the tips!

I hadn't really thought about making a bibliography but I can see that it's definitely a good idea. My dissertation is about alternatives to prison.

#4 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

A Bibliography is a required part of the dissertation, it has to be there (it isn't included in the word count though).

Try to get it as close to 5,000 as possible (remember it dosn't include your footnotes, apendicies, methodology, bibliography etc.)

Good luck with your dissertation (I realy enjoyed doing mine last year). Mine was "The Death penalty is Unconstitutional in America" If you need any help just post and I'm sure someone will be able to assist you.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users